Request - Mailchimp Integration

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 9 months ago #21426

Hi
Firstly i just wanted to say its been a pleasure to use Hikashop. Ive found it really easy to setup and use and has been well worth the purchase.

I was just wondering if you guys would consider integrating mailchimp into the Hikashop registration module. It would be nice if i could offer our shop users the option of signing up to our mailchimp powered newsletter when they are registering via the Hikashop module.
Would it be possible to have the Hikashop registration module send certain data fields (email address, mobile phone numbers, names, etc) to a mailchimp account/mailing list via the API. Also a nice feature would be the ability to include a radio button in the Hikashop registration module that would allow a user to confirm that they want to sign up to our website's mailing list.

Now i know there are quite a few mailing list providers out there but me personally my vote would be for mailchimp. Their free account is superb to use and is great value if you run a small online shop like ours which dosnt send 1000's of email a month.

So what are you thoughts on this feature?

All the best and thanks
James;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 9 months ago #21435

Hi,

We are working closely with AcyMailing which enables you to send your newsletters yourself from your website. It's also free and there is already an integration between HikaShop and AcyMailing enabling you to add an option on the registration page of HikaShop even with the free editions of HikaShop and AcyMailing.

So we're not planning on making such plugin for mailchimp for now. Of course, anyone is free to do it and we would welcome it.

12 years 9 months ago #21436

Thanks for the info. I wasnt aware of the acymailing integration. I'll have to have to have a look into this.

12 years 6 months ago #27816

I'd definitely vote for mailchimp integration!

As mailchimp doesn't use a joomla database to store client data, and keeps it all in its own secure servers, I don't need to set the website up as a https. In New Zealand, and I guess other countries, we need to keep client data secure and a mailchimp type service is a better option for this.

Also, mail delivery rates might be better via their dedicated mail servers rather than a web server.

Here's hoping for a plugin! (Any ideas on how / who might dvelop one?)

Thanks!

12 years 6 months ago #27819

One idea I just got:
If the current joomla extension for mailchimp uses a user plugin for the subscription of users to mailchimp during the registration, you could use it with HikaShop so that users registering on the checkout of HikaShop are also automatically subscribed to mailchimp. There is nothing to setup in that case as HikaShop triggers joomla user plugins like joomla does when a user registers on joomla.

12 years 6 months ago #27902

Hi thanks for that. Have to think how to do this.

Would this solution allow a checkbox to be ticked in the checkout process that allows and starts the mailchimp sign up? Quite necessary to give the customer the option. Also, the userdata would be inside of the joomla database, right? Better if it's in the mailchimp server, as it (cheaply) meets the security requirement.

Thanks!

12 years 6 months ago #27905

That wouldn't display a checkbox on the checkout. Yu might need to edit the file "registration" of the view "user" via Display->Views to add the checkbox yourself.

The data would of course be sent to mailchimp since that's the goal of the mailchimp plugin.

12 years 5 months ago #29447

Hi,

Did you get that working kiwi2b? It's a great idea :)

Would be cool if this: www.sourcecoast.com/jfbconnect/ could be incorporated into the registration of HS too. Ive noticed people are more inclined to post/comment if they are already logged into Facebook, so I'm assuming registering would be the same.

Cheers :)

12 years 5 months ago #29487

I second this request as I am REALLY liking Mail Chimp, and also love Hika Shopt :P

12 years 1 month ago #43453

Hi there,
I´m just testing the plugin "MailChimp Notification" which automatically add new Joomla members to your MailChimp account.
I´ll let you know if that works.
Chris

Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by ChrisSt.

• Hikashop Business
12 years 1 month ago #44740

Any progress?

12 years 4 weeks ago #44901

Hi everybody, I faced some problems in running the Mailchimp Plugin. I got an error message.
Here´s the answer of their support:

#############################
Your problem is two-fold.
The first is the issue with "safe-mode" Intellispire does not support safe mode. It has been deprecated in both PHP 5.3 and in Joomla 1.7. It never worked very well, made programming hard, and gave people a false sense of security.
AND the error message you are getting is just a warning and could be ignored. Turn off safe mode.

The second, separate issue is that the registration details are not being passed through to the Auto-Responder. In looking at your plugin, all looks ok. Try to have all fields except first name and email to not be required. There seems to be a problem with MailChimp recognizing some of your required fields. If they are NOT required, then the registration can go through even if the info is not there, or the fields name dont match exactly.

Another issue is HikaShop. Although the plugin *should* be universal, we have never tested with HikaShop. We would need a copy of the software to install into our development environment for testing. If removing the requirement for the extended fields does not solve the problem of no pass-through, please send a copy of the HikaShop plugin so that we can test against it, directly.
#############################

Altough these guys there are quiet helpful I decided not to use the plugin and ask for a refund because I dont want to spend too much time on technical issues. i´d like to focus on my business.

Hope that helps
Chris

12 years 4 weeks ago #44903

HikaShop can be downloaded for free on our website should they need it.
When HikaShop registers a joomla user, it uses the standard joomla API. So it will call the joomla user plugins normally and that's where the subscription of the mailchimp plugin should happen. At least, that's how AcyMailing does it.

• Thank you received: 3
  • Hikashop Business
1 year 3 months ago #348381

Hello,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but it seems all threads on this are 10+ years old.

I've had a client ask if we can add users to a Mailchimp newsletter when they make a purchase from Hikashop.

From what i can see it appears that there is still no Mailchimp integration built into Hikashop. Is this correct?

I understand that if I use the Mailchimp plugin "Chimp your Joomla", users will automatically be added to the mailing list when they become a Joomla user, however I think it would be better from a GDPR point of view that they check a box to agree to be added to the mailing list.

Is there a way to achieve this/has anyone found a solution for doing this?
Is there any documentation on this?

Any help very much appreciated.

D

DunxMax

The more we learn the less we know.

1 year 3 months ago #348390

Hi,

If you configure the consent plugin of Joomla, which you should to be compliant with the GDPR, then the user will have to consent during the registration, be it in Joomla or HikaShop.
The "Chimp your Joomla" plugin also has a double opt-in setting, and if you activate it, the user has to click on a link in an email sent to him to confirm he agrees to be subscribed.
You can read more about this plugin setup here:
www.joomlashack.com/docs/jinbound/mailchimp-integration/

• Hikashop Business
1 year 3 months ago #348394

Thanks Nicolas for taking the time to respond.

I guess I'm going to look bad here by saying I didn't know there was a consent plugin for Joomla. What is that? Is that in Joomla core?

Secondly, unless things haven't been updated "Chimp your Joomla" and "jinbound" say they are for Joomla 3, with no mention of Joomla 4, not that I've upgraded yet, but I am planning to do so in the next month.

Do you know if these extensions will work with Joomla 4?

DunxMax

1 year 3 months ago #348396

Hi,

Regarding the consent plugin in Joomla, you can read more about it here:
docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Privacy#
HikaShop integrates with these automatically if they are configured.
We also mentioned the integration in one of our newsletter in the past.

Regarding JInbound, reading on their page www.joomlashack.com/joomla-extensions/jinbound/ they say "jInbound is available for Joomla 3. This extension will not be updated for Joomla 4.".
Now, in a previous blog article, they were talking about changing jinbound:
www.joomlashack.com/blog/joomlashack/simplify-jinbound/
So I'm not sure where they are with that and does that means they plan on a new extension for Joomla 4?
I doubt it, but the best would be to check with them where they are with it.
If you plan to migrate to Joomla 4 next month, it's probably best to avoid using it.

• Hikashop Business
1 year 3 months ago #348412

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for the extended information.

I'd be the first admit I don't read all newsletters, but regarding jinbound, I will contact them and let you know what they say.

D

DunxMax

• Hikashop Business
1 year 3 months ago #348478

Hi Nicolas,

I did some further research.

I didn't ask Joomlashack about jinbound because as you say they have no plans to upgrade jinbound to Joomla 4.

So, I decided to focus on "Chimp your Joomla" at Mailchimp. It seems it's developed by a company called CorePHP. I sent them a question regarding if they have any plans to upgrade to Joomla 4. This is what they said:

"Unfortunately we do not have any plans on upgrading our products to Joomla! 4. This is not to say that the products are not upgradable - it is just that our business model has shifted from product development to custom development. I can get an estimate from our development team on what it would cost to migrate and make work with the latest Hikashop if you would like."

So the conclusion seems to be, there's no way to add customers to a Mailchimp mailing list once a site has been upgraded to Joomla 4, unless I get corePHP to make some adjustments to Chimp your Joomla. Or is there something I'm missing.

Let me know your thoughts.

D

DunxMax

1 year 3 months ago #348482

Hi,

You can still manually export the users data and import it to mailchimp when needed, but yes, it seems there is no automated way to do this on Joomla 4 at the moment.
Allowing this will require the development of a plugin implementing the PHP SDK of MailChimp ( github.com/mailchimp/mailchimp-marketing-php ) and implementing with it the ecommerce API ( mailchimp.com/developer/marketing/docs/e-commerce/ ).
We'll look into it, but that's not something we can build in a few hours. It requires several days of development, at least, for something where MailChimp will make most of the money, not us, even if we charge (a reasonnable amount) for the plugin.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds