is it possible?

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 5 months ago #1873

hi,

the site i am currently designing for a friend of mine is a rental business for wooden hat block hire for the millinary trade. we have sat down today to discuss how the site can work on a rental basis using the shopping cart software.

what i need the site to do is :

the customer needs to select a block they would like to hire and add it to there cart. they can select as many blocks as they like. i then need some way of asking the customer how many weeks they require. the best way is to obviously use the quantity field, but i cant allow customers to select the quantity on each product page as the whole contents of the cart need to be returned on the same day as a pre paid return label for courier collection will be sent out with the order. i need a way that once all items are added to the cart once they get to the check out page there is a single quantity option that allows the customer to select how many weeks the whole contents of the cart will be hired for.

so simply put once on the check out page instead of having a quantity option for each item in the cart, can i simply have one quantity option for all items in the cart?

the site is www.thrilltime.byethost14.com/hb/ if it helps.

ive thought of many diff ways to implement this and this way seems the most effective if it can be done.

regards
skeld

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13083
13 years 5 months ago #1878

Hi,

It is not possible to do that without hacking the code.

I see that you don't have any shipping methods on the checkout actually.
What you could do is use the shipping methods as week selector. The user would add the blocks he needs to the cart and the quantity for each block. Then on the checkout instead of shipping methods, we would select between a number of weeks. Each week would be a shipping method.
Then, you would set a basic price for each product and a weight of 1kg. Then, you would create 5 shipping methods for each week:
1week with a min weight of 0 and a max weight of 1.5 and a price of 0.
1week with a min weight of 1.5 and a max weight of 2.5 and a price of 5$.
1week with a min weight of 2.5 and a max weight of 3.5 and a price of 10$.
etc
then the same for the 2 weeks,3 weeks, etc
During the checkout the weight of the cart will be calculated. Since you products would always be 1kg, only 1 instance of each week shipping method will be displayed with a price corresponding to the number of items in the cart.

Would that meet your needs ?

13 years 5 months ago #1879

i'll have a play around with that and get back to you. there might be a possibility it will work.

13 years 5 months ago #1920

ive tried doing this, but for some reason there is no option on checkout for shipping still. i have enabled the manual shipping plugin, and set up the shipping options like you said but for some reason still doesnt give me any options on check out.

13 years 5 months ago #1922

Could you do a screenshot of the checkout ?
Are you sure you set a weight for your products ?

13 years 5 months ago #1924

heres a screenshot of the checkout, before loging in, its still the same even if i do login in as a registerd user.

i will send u via private msg the login details for the administrator login at www.thrilltime.byethost14.com/hb/administrator for you to have a check on the back end if it makes it any easier, ive got a feeling it may be somthing small im overlooking.

Attachments:

13 years 5 months ago #1925

ive just realised there is nor private msg system on this forum, the login details are admin, pw

i will change them once you have had a look

Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by nicolas.

13 years 5 months ago #1926

I just logged in with your account on the front end and placed an order. I saw the week 1 and week 2 shipping methods and was able to select one of them.

13 years 5 months ago #1927

hmm any ideas why its not working for me? would clearing my cache help?

13 years 5 months ago #1928

Yes, you could try that but I'm not sure it will help.

The shipping methods are filtered based on the criteria you set. if none of the shipping methods meet the conditions of the cart.
Also, you need to be logged in to see the shipping methods.

I invite you to follow the FAQ to check your configuration of shipping methods : www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/i...ual-listing.html#faq

13 years 5 months ago #1929

the problem lied in the fact id set the zone for shipping as uk, but the address in my user details was set to france as defult.

13 years 5 months ago #1930

ive figured it all out and got it working. but its not going to get around my problem. the shipping costs will be fixed no matter how many or how long they hire the blocks for @ £15, as long as the item doesnt weigh no more than 25kg. so i have created 6 weeks worth of shipping options all at £15

i was hoping to not show the quantity option on the product page so when a user adds the block(s) to there cart they then at checkout select how many weeks they rquire which would then change the quantity of the whole contents of the cart.

i.e they decide to hire 3 blocks at £20 per week for 3 weeks. they would then add the 3 items to the cart, so the total so far is £60 per week. once at check out they then select they wish to hire the blocks for 3 weeks so the total is then £180 for the 3 weeks.

any ideas or suggestions on how this can be possible? if it requires modifying code would you be willing to undertake it for a fee?

thanks for all the support so far

13 years 5 months ago #1931

I'm not following you.

With the solution I proposed, the shipping methods price will vary based on the number of products in the cart. So the guy wanting to rent 3 blocks for 3 weeks add 3 block at £20 each into the cart. That's £60 total. So far so good. Each product weight 1kg. So the total is 3kg. then, with the shipping methods system I proposed, he would be prompted with the choice:
1week -> £0
2weeks -> £60
3weeks -> £120.
He would choose the 3 weeks options and would be charged £120 as shipping + £60 as the products total price which means 180£ in total.

The only problem I see is if you want to have different prices for different products. But even then. You could have a product costing £10 and instead of weighting 1kg, you would make it weight 0.5kg. Then, you would have to increase the number of shipping methods in order to handle all the possible combinations of weights and weeks and it would work.

So I don't really see why you say it doesn't go around your problem ?

13 years 5 months ago #1960

right ok i see what you mean. yes i suppose it is possible doing it this way, but there will be differnt prices for differnt blocks so could turn out quite confusing and very longsome. so as a way around the problem it works but its not ideal.

i will have a go at doing it like this and see how it pans out, but if i still feel its not going to work well enough would you concider doing the extra coding for a fee?

13 years 5 months ago #1962

If you only have 2 or 3 different prices that would be manageable but indeed, the more you have different prices the more combinations you would have to handle...hard to manage.

If you want something which is easier to manage, that would indeed require some extra coding:
You would have several variants of your products one per number of week and you would set the prices there for each product.
Then, some extra coding to always display the 1week variant on the product page.
Then, some extra coding which would add a dropdown at checkout to select the number of weeks and then some more to change the products variants in the cart based on the number of weeks.
This customization won't enable you to update HikaShop as we will have to modify files which would be overwritten if you update.
If you want a quote you can contact us via our contact form : www.hikashop.com/en/support/contact-us.html

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds