How do I use the "manufacturer website URL"

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 4 months ago #4134

Hi,

I'm trying to use the "Manufacturers Website URL" attribute in the product setup. The Help states:

"Url : The url of the product is a url to the manufacturer website in order to get more information for your customers. This url, if filled in, will be displayed on the product page."

However, the URL does not seem to be displayed on the product page - which I assume is the Product > Show view.

What I want is a hyperlink on some text - such as: "See manufacturers description".

Please can you tell me what I am missing.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
13 years 4 months ago #4140

Hi,

Indeed, so far the website URL feature wasn't working and no one really used it.

You can replace the file components/com_hikashop/views/product/tmpl/show.php by the one in this package and then go to the configuration under the tab languages and edit your language fiel and add to it the line:
MANUFACTURER_URL="Manufacturer URL : %s"
That will add the URL on the product page.

File Attachment:

File Name: show-20101224-2.zip
File Size:2 KB

Attachments:

13 years 4 months ago #4203

Many thanks Nicolas - just what I needed.

In fact all I really needed to know was the variable:

$this->element->product_url
so I could include it in the view. Is there any place where all the Product attributes like this are listed/documented? (I'm fairly new to PHP and am just picking it up as I go along).

Is there also somewhere where the architecture/framework of the HikaShop views is explained? The way you can modify them and then revert back to the "standard" supplied code seems to suggest some kind of OO-mechanism. Is this the case? And is this a HikaShop architecture or an underlying Joomla architecture (I'm also fairly new to Joomla).

In particular, what happens when you upgrade to a new HikaShop version? Are your modified views and CSS retained until you manually remove them - and at that point do you get the new updated HikaShop code/modules?

• Thank you received: 13071
13 years 4 months ago #4205

You can add the dbug library dbug.ospinto.com/ to you website and then use the code new dbug($this->element); in that view to see all the content of that variable nicely presented.
Otherwise, a var_dump($this->element); can show you the same data as a text but it's hard to read.

The HikaShop architecture is based on the standard joomla MVC architecture: docs.joomla.org/Developing_a_Model-View-...r_Component_-_Part_1
That enables to override any component view in your template and thus avoiding update issues where you loose all your modifications while still allowing you to get the new default files.

On top of that MVC architecture, we added a small interface to easily edit the views files and automatically put the modifications in the template file, and also delete them in case you want to revert to the default file.

That enables you to safely update HikaShop and all the default files will be updated. Worst case scenario being that we add some features in a default view file that you modified and you won't see it unless you revert back to the default view file.

Not all joomla components supports that though.

Concerning CSS and emails, there is no similar mechanism in joomla. But we added our own so that it works in the same manner. The changes you make to the CSS or an email will be saved in a separate file overriding the default one.

13 years 4 months ago #4209

Thanks very much for the info. I'll read up about the Joomla MVC arch over the rest of the holiday!

Have a Happy New Year!

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds