Moving categories to another category

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 1 month ago #43096

I have racked my brain trying to figure out how to take an already existing category and move it be a sub category of another pre-existing category. There does not seem to be any logical approach to this and the documents are extremely vague and give no direction on how to do this, of course assume it is possible in the first place? Unless I have missed something which would not be the first time...;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13085
12 years 1 month ago #43214

Edit the category. There, change the "parent category" option so that you have the new parent category and save.

12 years 1 month ago #43217

That is the problem I am having. There is no parent category to change. When I create a category the only thing I have that is close is Associated category. Clicking the icon for that brings up a modal window but apparently this is nothing more than an explorer and does nothing. There is nothing to select and even if there was there is no save button to indicate my changes would be committed.

When I edit or create a category all I have to work with is the name, description, published, Layout on product page, associated category, an image, meta descriptions and keywords. There is no where on this page to indicate a category. So unless I am in the wrong editor window then I must have a beta version of HikaShop? The version I am using is 1.5.6, is that the latest version?

12 years 1 month ago #43333

Ah yes, we changed the name from "parent category" to "associated category" in a previous version as someone else found that confusing.

So it's the associated category option that you should change.

12 years 1 month ago #43355

That is weird, since the parent category term has been around since categories were first created. No matter as long as we all know what they mean it is all good...;)

Now the problem I am having is that when I view the categories and I assume clicking the paper and pencil icon in the Change field is where I would assign the category to be associated with another category. I see on the right there is two associations in my example here when the category currently has one parent called Product Category. So not sure what the other category it is associated with unless we count itself as an association? So I click again the paper and pencil icon on the Additional Information area for this association and a popup is shown that says Explorer. Now common sense tells me this is where i would be able to assign it to or associate it with a parent category but there is no way to do anything in this popup but see what category is where. So now I am at a total loss as to where I need to be to move a category into another category and what my question as been all along. I have been unable to find any documentation on this that would point me in the right direction. Even if I create a new category their is still no place to add it to any other category. It seems to me that it would be so much easier if HikaShop would put a drop down parameter like most everything else does in Joomla if I need to make something a child of something else? So please, can someone tell me how I am supposed to make sub directories for a category so I can move on to the next step???

12 years 1 month ago #43422

I sure would like to know where everyone that posted a review of this cart on the JED gets off saying how great support is? I have had this thread opened for a few days now and I still do not have an answer to what should otherwise be a simple thing that should not even need to be asked! Personally I am finding the documentation to be lacking, jumbled and not at all well thought out. Trying to figure this out has made me loose so much time that I am moving back to VM. I hate VM with a passion but at least support for the free cart has proven to be far more help than I have gotten here!

This cart looks to be shaping up to be a good cart. However the way some things that are done are so convoluted like this category setup that it cannot possibly make any sense to anyone who has worked with shopping carts before. Categories within categories are sub categories (children) and to call them associations indicates that they can belong to more than one. I have not been able to find any documentation that supports that. Nor have I been able to figure out how to do something as simple as move a category with this system.

Thanks for taking my money and providing NOTHING in the way of support!!!

12 years 1 month ago #43489

Hi,

Once you open the popup, if you don't see any category in the main area of the popup it's probably because you are currently on a category which doesn't have any sub categories. So the solution is easy. Just click on a main category on the left explorer and you will then see the sub categories of that category in the main area of the popup and you will be able to click on it to use it instead of the one in the associated option.

There is actually a documentation on that here:
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...form.html#additional
On any page of HikaShop, you can click on the "help" button to get the related documentation which explains the interface.

We don't have a dropdown there because even if that doesn't makes sense for you, it makes sense for other users who have hundreds of categories and need to be able to select the correct one rapidly even if several of the categories have the same name, and that is not possible with a dropdown.

I feel sorry that you had a bad experience on something which is a non issue. We don't try to rip off anyone and we have a 30 days money back guarantee so if you don't want to use HikaShop you can ask a refund via our contact form:
www.hikashop.com/en/contact-us.html
Sorry for the delay of our answers, we're answering as fast as we can.

12 years 1 month ago #43496

Thanks Nic, I am currently busy building this site in VM (yuck) as I did not have time to wait for an answer to this and for sure other questions would have followed. Sorry about my frustration and although I don’t have time at the moment to test what you have given me it does sound like the information I asked for in the first place.

I don’t want my money back because I do see this cart someday being good (if in fact it is now and I have just not discovered that yet). Only at this time it is hard to find what I need and it is so far from the norm in the way I am used to working that I am finding it frustrating to use. Some of the systems are unorthodox and I guess I just need to get the time to get my head around it.

So no refund request and even if I don't use it there are so many that appear to be happy with it and I am a contributor to the Joomla community and will call it a donation to a worthy cause. Hopefully this cart is what it appears to be to me and I will discover its potential for my next build and can be a contributor rather than a complainer.

12 years 1 month ago #43693

Great.

Indeed HikaShop is quite different from VirtueMart so for someone used to VM some configuration can be a bit strange at the beginning.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds