Translations for Payments and Delivery methods are NOT SAVED

• Thank you received: 0
3 years 11 months ago #320270

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.3.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.18
-- PHP version -- : 7.2.11
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : any

here we go again.. translations are not saved on payments and delivery methods. This is not completely consistent, sometimes they are, but get lost later on, sometimes they are not saved at all.

Not sure if this is related, but I just discovered that all my product and category translations are gone as well (except for one language, strangely). This may also be related to the upgrade ro business I did recently...

I work as a freelance software developer. If I told my clients: "well, it's a new feature, it may not work at first" - guess how long they'd be my clients

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by retiro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13082
3 years 11 months ago #320297

Hi,

I don't think it's linked to the upgrade or update.
If you somewhat lost all your translations, it indicates that there is an error in the translation override file (supposing that you're not using Falang for your translations).
So the first thing I would recommend is to edit your language in the Languages tab of the HikaShop configuration and check the override area if you see your translations. If you see them there, then it's likely that there is an error in the file somewhere and thus HikaShop's translation system cannot read it anymore.
Turn on the "debug language" setting of the Joomla configuration and access a page of HikaShop in your backend. You'll then see the list of the translation files loaded (as well as the override file) at the bottom of the page. And if there are some problems with them, it will tell you which line of which file has a problem. So you can easily find where is the issue.
Then, please report to us your findings. It might be something we didn't expect that we need to support.

We do our best to test everything, but it is a big piece and sometimes, you fix something somewhere, and it breaks something else elsewhere that you did not expect. Also, as it interacts with many things, plugins, other extensions, templates, libraries, PHP versions, Joomla versions, etc you need to make everything you do work with all of this and all the different combinations. It's not something where you can possibly test everything.
When you develop a feature for a client, you know the environment, you only have one set of extensions, one version of PHP, one version of Joomla, etc. And you can directly test your new feature on their environment (or a copy of it) before you introduce your client to it. So it's a whole lot different than software development to tens of thousands of different environments.
I hope you can understand the scale of what we're trying to do. Even with all the money Microsoft (or any other big software company) has, there are bugs in pretty much any software update they do, some because of hardware conflicts, or other software they didn't think of, or new features having issues with other parts.

3 years 11 months ago #320305

sorry, I don't have time to debug your language system, I have deadlines to meet. If there is an "error in the translation file", it was created by your software. I haven't touched it, and I am not using Falang. I will now try to find a survival mode, and if that fails, I will have to ditch HikaShop altogether

3 years 10 months ago #320309

Hi,

I'm not asking you to debug our language system. The thing is that the translation of payment and shipping methods works on my end and I can't reproduce the issues you're describing. Having the information of the debug system of Joomla is just a way for us to better understand the situation on your website so that we can fix what need to be fixed.

3 years 10 months ago #320330

of course your asking me to debug your software, there is absoultely nothing special about my setup. But I am getting the feeling that this is life PHP land. I don't think I'll aply for citizenship

3 years 10 months ago #320345

just to show how ridiculous this gets: after another try to use the translation on shipping methods, ALL tranlations are completely lost. For one language, I have a small fragment of the override file left, which contains this:

ONSITEPICKUP="On-site pickup"
HOMEDELIVERY="Home delivery"
VEGETABLES="Vegetables"
FRUITS="Fruits"
SALADS="Salads"
PAPRICA="Paprica"
LETTUCE="Lettuce"
ORANGES="Oranges"
CABBAGE="Cabbage"
TOMATOES="Tomatoes"
ZUCCHINI="Zucchini"
ONIONS="Onions"
CARROTS="Carrots"
LEEK="Leek"
SWEETPOTATOES="Sweet Potatoes"
="<p>the goods will be delivered to your home at a time of your choice</p>"

3 years 10 months ago #320347

-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 0 Jun 6 14:00 de-DE.override.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 396 Jun 6 14:00 en-GB.override.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 31 Jun 1 17:04 index.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 apache apache 0 Jun 6 14:00 pt-PT.override.ini

3 years 10 months ago #320394

Hi,

Thank you for the additional information.
From what I understand this issue happens because you're saving a translation override without first entering something in the original field. And since the translation override system uses the original field's value as the translation key for the translation override, you end up with a translation override line without a key, which is invalid.
We didn't thought about testing this.
I've added a patch for that on our end.
Download the install package of HikaShop on our website and install it on yours and that will prevent this from happening and display you an error message instead, telling you to first fill in the text in the shipping method main information area.

Also, please note that the translations are not lost. If you just remove the line with the empty translation key, the system will find the translation overrides again.

3 years 10 months ago #320402

Hello. I had one occurrence where the description translation was indeed saved, and I saw the key was totally awkward and obviously derived from the content of the default description field. I better stay away from saying what I think of this. It is really not worth saying anything anyway, because it is broken in the first place. I suggest you fix it in a way that I can create the descriptions from the languages tab (with a foreseeable key), which is impossible right now, because I cannot guess what name will be generated.

What happens if I change the default description?? Will the overrides get lost, because the key has changed? You serious?

Moreover, my previous posting is a verbatim copy of the result of an "ls -l" on the SSH command line. As you can see, the files are cut off, size 0. THE TRANSLATIONS ARE ALL LOST FOREVER, PERIOD.

I am waiting for a fix that prevents this from happening, and that will maintain the translation override even if change the default description later on. Until then, HikaShop is not usable for me. In any case, I strongly object to the practice of generating a translation key from a user-edible value

3 years 10 months ago #320407

Hi,

You can enter the translation key you want in the default description.
Then, in each translation override you can enter the text for each language.

Generating the translation key automatically from something like SHIPPING_NAME_XXX where XXX is the id of the shipping method is something we want to add in the future yes.

Regarding the translation overrides file going empty, I've answered you on your other thread for anyone else reading this:
www.hikashop.com/forum/checkout/900099-s...-of-them.html#320411

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by nicolas.

3 years 10 months ago #320449

you fail to answer the question what happens if I or someone else changes the default description later on. My assumption is that the reference to the translations will silently be lost, everything will have to be rewritten. Truly unbelievable.
The whackyness of this non-solution makes me fear that after spending hours on this and previous (quite basic) issues, I am in danger of wasting uncounted hours down the road with more of the same. I don't think I can take that risk. There is a german saying "better end with pain than pain without end"

3 years 10 months ago #320450

I answered you on the other thread.
Please don't open several threads on the same subject if you want everything you be answered in one.

If you want something more robust and well tested over the years, I would recommend to use Falang. We've been integrated with it to handle translations since its first release many years ago.

3 years 10 months ago #320636

"If you want something more robust and well tested over the years, I would recommend to use Falang."

That seriously needs to be rephrased:

If you want something that is not completely broken and that may (actually, WILL) cost you countless hours until you realize what you've gotten yourself into, don't use the HikaShop translation machinery. And have a very close look at everything else, too

• Thank you received: 1778
3 years 10 months ago #320655

Hello,

We are sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused. No, the answer Nicolas gave you don't need to be rephrased as his only purpose was to wholeheartedly help you, by providing a solution that many customer are actually using.

Also, Hikashop is a component that is constantly changing and improving thanks to our customers feedback, so we'll always welcome constructive feedback and take it into account.

If you have any other issue or inconvenience, feel free to contact us, we'll always do our best to assist you.

We wish you a nice day,
Kind regards,
Mohamed.

Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Mohamed Thelji.

3 years 10 months ago #320664

How about this: if you really feel sorry for the (serious) inconvenience your software has caused me, why not just leave my (factual) statement uncommented?

In any case, I am leaving you with the money I've wasted, the lost time stays with me anyway. Have a beer at my expense and think a little about the good side of life. Cheers

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds