Force registration to add to cart

• Thank you received: 2
1 year 3 months ago #348029

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.7.0

Hi

We do online training so in our case we do not make use of guest checkout at all since a person must have a profile on our site for the courses to be linked against.

We notice quite a few abandon carts on the site, those who belong to a profile can be followed up but the ones labeled as "No registration" can't.

Since we are forcing registration on checkout anyway, I was wondering if it is not possible to force a user to create a profile when they click the "Add to cart" button so that the cart will be linked to a user name.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13064
1 year 3 months ago #348033

Hi,

There is no such mechanism but you could somehow achieve it with a bit of work. You could:
- configure the "access level" setting of the prices to "registered" in each product
- set the "display add to cart button for free products" to "No" in the HikaShop configuration
This would remove the price and add to cart buttons from the products when not logged in, and instead display a "Free" text. You could then use a translation override to change that text to look like an Add to cart button but actually, it would redirect to the login form. For example:

FREE_PRICE="<a href='XXX' class='hikabtn hikacart'>Add to cart</a>"
where XXX would be the URL of the registration form with the login module on the side.

However, I think it won't be much useful and will only lower your sales by making the process more convoluted for the users. The guest carts as probably either people who didn't buy and wouldn't have even if you were doing these changes, or crawler bots (from Google, Bing, etc) scanning your pages. So I don't think you'll gain anything changing this. Also, if you have too many old carts, I would recommend looking at the cart cleaning settings of the HikaShop configuration, under the advanced tab. Maybe you would need to reduce the check frequency so that the cart clean up can keep up with the new carts.

• Thank you received: 2
1 year 3 months ago #348153

Hi Nicolas

What you are saying makes sense, I don't think it is going to be worth the effort to force registration this early.

Another though I had in line with this, is it possible to have a little popup message display when add to cart is clicked, but only to guests reminding them that we can't add the courses to their profile if they do not have an account.

• Thank you received: 13064
1 year 3 months ago #348159

Hi,

It would be possible with the development of a custom plugin or a view override to catch the click on the add to cart button for guest users and then use the notification box library to display the message. It's a 1 or 2 hours work for a developer I think.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds