Require Guest Checkout Only on System (no registration / login)

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Essential
10 months 1 week ago #352602

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.7.3
-- Joomla version -- : 4.2

We want Hika Shop to allow users to checkout as GUESTS ONLY, we don't want them having to create a 'registration account' on the system

How can I go about to do this?

Do I need a Hika business account?

thanks,
Laura

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hikashop Essential
10 months 1 week ago #352607

I purchased Hikashop Essentials Version. Now that I have it. How do I setup GUEST CHECKOUT?

• Thank you received: 13079
10 months 1 week ago #352606

Hi,

HikaShop Essential is enough for that.
You can do so by changing the "registration" setting to "guest" only under the Checkout tab of the HikaShop configuration page.

• Hikashop Essential
10 months 5 days ago #352695

Thank you! I will try that.

• Thank you received: 0
  • Hikashop Essential
9 months 2 weeks ago #353399

I have the same requirement, and bought Essential to address it.

However, even with Guest set for checkout type, an email address that already exists in Joomla is rejected
How do I resolve this?

John Orange
Plymouth UK

Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by JohnOrange.

9 months 2 weeks ago #353462

Hi,

You would have to delete the user accounts on your website. That way, the customers will be able to guest checkout with their email address.

• Hikashop Essential
9 months 2 weeks ago #353515

Nicolas:

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, deleting the existing accounts is neither an elegant nor a practical solution.
Some of the likely purchasers are members of the club that runs the site, and one or two are site admins.

Why is a genuine guest sale (with no registration) so difficult to achieve?

John Orange
Plymouth UK

9 months 1 week ago #353530

Hi,

I'm not saying you need to delete all the accounts. For the people who manage the shop or are used to login on your website, you can keep their account so that they can login to purchase while all the others will be able to purchase as guests since they won't have a user account.

• Hikashop Essential
9 months 1 week ago #353560

Thank you for your prompt response, Nicolas

I had already read between the lines of your original post and realised that I didn't need to delete all the accounts.
However, we don't normally permit log-in to the site except for admins, since we were swamped with bot spammers when we were running a forum, and switched it off when we realised that they were easily defeating ReCaptcha that we were using to add security.
I will work out a way around it.

It still begs the question as to why there is no genuine guest purchase available?

Thanks again,

John Orange
Plymouth, UK

9 months 1 week ago #353569

Hi,

The guet checkout is available and genuine. I suppose you mean "why is it not possible for someone with a user account on the website to guest checkout with their email address".
To answer you :
When HikaShop was first released, guest checkouts were not possible. Registration was required to purchase. Structurally, HikaShop has a table hikashop_user with a column user_email where the email address of the user is stored, and a column user_cms_id where the id of the user in the users table of Joomla is stored. Doing it like this, when you migrate HikaShop's data from one Joomla website to another, if the users id in Joomla change (which can happen based on how the user accounts are migrated), HikaShop can automatically resynchronize the user_cms_id with the new id of the user based on matching the email address in joomla users table and Hikashop's hikashop_user's user_email column. And this can be done with one really efficient MySQL query so there is no problem even on websites with hundred of thousands of users. This allows for both resilience and flexibility and scaling.
And since Joomla's users table doesn't allow for 2 entries with the same email address, we did the same for the user_email column in the hikashop_user table. This allows for the best efficiency when the users are synchronized and prevent crashes if the data is not consistent. Then, we introduced the guest checkouts. To do that, we use entries in the hikashop_user table but with their user_cms_id set to 0. Since everything already relies of the hikashop_user table entries inside HikaShop, it was necessary to do it like that. But since the user_email column is still unique, you can't have an entry for a user account and an entry for guest checkouts in the hikashop user table. And so if we were to allow a user to guest checkout with this database structure, it would mean he would be unlinked from his joomla user account as we would need to set his user_cms_id to 0 and that would create all kinds of problems.
Removing the uniqueness on the user_email column, and adding a new column for the type of user entry would solve the problem, but it would create issues during the synchronization of the users.
Also, we decided to keep it like this since the downside is not that important. A website can just enable only the guest checkout from the get go and users won't create accounts on the website and they'll be able to guest checkout without any issue.

• Hikashop Essential
9 months 1 week ago #353678

Nicolas:

Once again, thank you for your swift and informative reply.
I can see the logic behind it now, and will spend some time thinking about it, to see if I can code around it somehow.

However, that will be in the future, since I must get ticket sales working on our site before the end of this week!

Thanks again!

John Orange
Plymouth, UK

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds