Custom product fields "Ajax ..." improvements?

• Thank you received: 747
1 year 11 months ago #341913

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.5.1
-- Joomla version -- : 4.1.3
-- PHP version -- : 7.4.29

Hi,

When using a custom product field type "Ajax Image", it's great that now an upload folder can be specified. But there are some issues, or at least shortcomings. I haven't tried much more but suspect it's very similar or even the same with "Ajax File" as well.

1. The (image) file is not being deleted if the image gets deleted in the backend product edit form. Also not tried, but I suspect it's the same if the product were deleted?
In case it matters, in the main config "Keep images after delete" is set to "no".

2. For Ajax Image there are no options for scaling/thumbnailing (although a subfolder "thumbnails" is being created in the specified upload folder), and the main config settings for images are not taken into account. Would be nice to have those options, or if at least the "general" image settings were applied here, too.

3. The Ajax Image field limitations for maximum filesize/dimensions are generally nice, but they won't replace missing scaling/thumbnailing options.
Actually, currently those limitations are only causing frustration for shop admins:
First, there's no hint on these limits for the field in the product edit form, but having this when limits are set would sure be helpful to start with.
Then, when size or dimension limits are exceeded, there's only a generic "Error saving" in the product add/edit form, but no further explanation at all.
Add'l frustration for a server admin: the images end up in full size in the upload folder anyway, even if they succeeded any limit, and again, they're never deleted by the system.
All of this is resulting in plenty of "trial & error" for admins, and eventually tons of files in the upload folder, particularly as uploading an image within limits but with the same name only stores a new, add'l version of the file.

So, with all respect, I dare saying there's some room for improvement at least for Ajax Image, and probably for Ajax File as well, and I hope you agree.

Thanks for looking into it!

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 10 months ago #341952

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

1. Indeed, we didn't implement any delete capabilities in the custom fields system so far. That's a good idea. We'll work on this for the next version of HikaShop.

2. Indeed so far the system is just generating thumbnails with a size of 100*100. It can be tweaked with some view overrides and it's a pain for normal users. Having options for that will be better. We'll look at adding this too.

3. The system isn't meant to be able to provide error messages based on the issue which lead to the refusal. And the "custom error message" option doesn't help since its goal is precisely to be able to set an error message you want. So I don't see an easy way out for now. I guess the extra options above will help.
Also, I would personally recommend to have a custom field of the type "custom text" so that you can write instructions above or below the custom field if you configure restrictions so that the user is aware of them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lousyfool

1 year 10 months ago #341955

Thanks for your reply, Nicolas.

1. Good to know, thanks. I trust you'll look into it for both Ajax Images and Ajax Files ;)

2. Just FYI, as of now no thumbnail of any size has been created, at least not in my system. As mentioned, a "thumbnails" subfolder exists below the folder specified in the field config, but so far it has remained completely empty.

3. Understood. The custom text field is a good idea -- thanks for that, too.

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 10 months ago #341958

Hi,

2. That's normal. The thumbnails for custom fields are generated on the fly and directly sent to the browser.

3. I've worked on this today and improved the error message. It should work better with the next version.

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by nicolas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousyfool

1 year 10 months ago #341974

Hi Nicolas,

2. Again only FYI, currently I can only see full size images in the browser, 100x100px thumbs are nowhere to be found in any HTML -- unless I'm overlooking something.
But that might be all obsolete anyway once config options were added.

3. Cool!

Thanks again -- I'll keep eyes on the changelog! ;)

Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by lousyfool. Reason: Typo

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds