Create all possible variants for product based on selected characteristics

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Business
1 year 7 months ago #344239

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.6.1
-- Joomla version -- : 4.1.5
-- PHP version -- : 8.0

Hi All,

When creating products with one or more characteristics, is there an option to have the software automatically create all the variants based on the configured characteristics. This would save a lot of time when there are several characteristics with multiple choices in each. Woocommerce has the feature, so I would have thought HikaShop would have it too, but can't find any reference to it.

With Woocommerce, the process will only create a maximum of 50 variants in one run, but you can keep running the process if you have more than 50.

Many thanks

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 7 months ago #344244

Hi,

Woocommerce limits the process to 50 because of the same issue we run into that generating too many variants at once lead to crashes. That's why HikaShop doesn't generate all the variants.
However, what you can do is to copy an existing product with the same charactersitics you want to use with the "copy" button of the products listing. That will also duplicate the variants, even if you have hundreds of them. So you then only have to modify what's different between the original and the copy.

• Hikashop Business
1 year 7 months ago #344245

Hi Nicolas,

OK I understand. Thank you for the tip, I have found the copy feature useful in some cases. However, many of the products are one off and have multiple characteristics. As an example, I created a product that had two characteristics, size and colour/design the combinations produced 108 variants, each requiring a different image selection, which takes a lot of time making sure you have created them all and not duplicated any and then you need to edit each one to add the image. Logically, the generation of the basic variants would be something a script could do more efficiently than a person. Is it not possible to do the same as Woocommerce and limit the process to 50 variants at a time?

Many thanks

David

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 7 months ago #344249

Hi,

Well, generating the variants under the variants tab shouldn't be that tedious. You just have to select the values for each characteristic for which you want the system to generate the variants and it will generate all the combinations for you. So if you have two variants with 10 values each, you select the 10 values in each characteristic and validate and it will generate the 100 variants. I feel the time consuming part is then having to edit each variant to configure the price, the image, etc. And this won't change even if we add a button to generate all the variants at once.

Now, maybe you are in a specific situation where you could make it easier on you with the following tip:
If you have two characteristics but you want the image to only change based on what is selected in one characteristic (for example, you only want the image to change when the color selection changes, not when the size selection changes), what you can do is to create the variants of the product in two steps:
- first, add the color characteristic and under the variants tab, add the different color variants with the different images you'll be using.
- second, add the size characteristic and under the variants tab, select all the variants and click on the "duplicate" button. Then, select the size characteristic and select the sizes you want to be available for the selected variants and validate. It will automatically duplicate the variants for the different sizes based on the selected variants so you'll have the images already set for the different sizes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: yorkits

• Hikashop Business
1 year 7 months ago #344259

Hi Nicolas,

That's great! Thank you! I didn't realise that you could add all the variant choices in one go or that you could duplicate a bunch of variants that easily. I was creating every variant one at a time, so the product that produced 108 variants was tedious. I wish I knew how this method could be used sooner.

Thanks for providing a great solution.

David

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds