Downloadable products... handling versions

• Thank you received: 0
  • Hikashop Essential
12 years 4 months ago #33796

Hi, I am about to use Hikashop to sell software on my site. All the products I am selling are downloadable. I have two questions, both are in regards to how to handle releasing new versions of software that is sold on hikashop. I normally release new versions within 1 to 3 months, based on added new features or bug fixes. Here are my questions:

1. How do I handle new versions of a downloadable software product?
2. Is each version its own product?
3. If it is its own product, I would have to unpublish the old version. If I unpublish the old version from being displayed on the website, will users who previously purchased it still have access to it from their order details?
4. If I don't have to have a separate product for each new version, how else do I do it?
5. I already use characteristics and variants for products, since I have options for each product. However, is there a way to setup a test user with a test payment and test order number to see what the user will see once they make a purchase?

Thanks,
Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 4 months ago #33818

Hi,

1. On our end, what we do is that we upload the new files on top of the existing files in the folder media/com_hikashop/upload/safe. So customers always get access to the latest version, no matter when they paid for it.
2. You could do it like that too if you want.
3. Yes
4. See 1.
5. Yes, you can create an order without paying for it and then confirm it from the back end. Then, on the front end, go to the user control panel via a menu (that you created via the menu manager of joomla) and open your order and you'll see the links to the files of the order.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds