Reminder Plugin Emailing Wrong Users

• Thank you received: 13062
3 years 3 months ago #327877

Hi,

What I mean is to create an account with sendgrid or elasticmail, configure your Joomla settings to send the emails through that account, and enable back the reminder plugin to check if you still have the issue or not.
If you don't, then it means it's something coming from sendinblue (and in that case, you can make that change permanent) , and if you still do, then it means that the issue is not linked with sendinblue and thus switching to another email sending provider won't help (and in that case, you can revert back to using sendinblue as the problem is elsewhere).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
  • Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #327891

Hey Nicolas,

So i went ahead and created account with sendgrid and configured website smtp settings with theirs and confirmed I am getting the same exact issue as sendinblue. I created different orders and got emails sent to different emails about same order as shown in attachment.

I am really not sure where the issue could be within the site. Here is the cronjob configuration if that helps at all

I guess the good news is that it's not sendinblue email service and something else on the backend. Thanks again for your help on this.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by dklbwf.

3 years 3 months ago #327894

Hi,

Well, at least we know that it's something on the website and not something in sendinblue.
So that's a step in the good direction at least.
Now, could you provide a backend access so that we could check what extensions you have installed on the website as well as your settings ? Maybe we'll be able to figure out something.

• Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #327901

I went ahead and sent you backend details. Wasn't sure where else to send backend info. Thanks!

3 years 3 months ago #327921

Hi,

I got the access thanks. I checked the situation there but couldn't find much. I also couldn't find the emails in the history corresponding to the subjects of the emails in your screenshots with the orders D6A9 and D7B0. So I'm not sure what's going on there.
Would you have more information on that ?

• Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #327925

Totally different sites, I apologize. I have sent you access to the site where those screenshots come from. SOrry aboutthat

3 years 3 months ago #328004

Hi,

I got the new access and thus I looked at the situation there.
I found the emails corresponding to your screenshots in the email history of HikaShop, where they looked fine.
So I had a look at plugins that you have on your website in case it would come from one, but the only one I could see is the "mailcatcher" plugin which is apparently something you added recently to check if the emails are correct when they are sent by Joomla. That's a great idea ! Unfortunately, it has yet catched a reminder email so impossible to check what that extension would log for these emails yet.

Another thing I saw is that the D6A9 email notification had two email addresses, and the D7B0 email notification had 3 email addresses in your screenshots a few days ago. And in the email history of HikaShop I can see that 3 order_reminder notifications have been sent at the exact same time for the orders D7B0, D6A9 and C6Z8.
And the 2 other email addresses of the D7B0 email notification seems to correspond with the email address of the customer for the orders D6A9 and C6Z8 (they are partially hidden in your screenshot so I can't be 100% sure).
So my theory about the issue is that the Joomla Mailer "To" value is not reset properly between two emails being sent.
That's actually what I was already thinking last month when I made some modifications to the plugin, hoping it would prevent that.
I had a second look at that today and I've made further modifications to the plugin to avoid the To not being cleared between two emails.
So I took the liberty of installing a new version of the plugin with these modifications on your website.
Hopefully, it will help...
Please let us know how it goes.

3 years 3 months ago #328005

Note also that you'll only get the issue if several emails are sent in the same cron task check.
So you would need several orders to be notified at the same time to check if you still have the issue or not.
Because with only one reminder email sent in a cron tic, it shouldn't produce a problem.
So I would recommend to create several orders and manually modify the date of creation in the database (the order_created column of the hikashop_order table) to match your reminder window while the plugin is disabled. That way, you can enter email addresses of your own in the orders to not annoy your customers, and when you enable the plugin, it will send the reminder for all these orders at the same time, and you'll be able to easily check in your mailboxes if the emails got duplicated or not.

• Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #328013

Nicolas, i really appreciate all you have done. I am planning to do some test to see if your changes worked. Can you explain how the reminder works exactly. Does the reminder email only get sent out once to customer or will it go out several times daily until the max waiting period has passed? I am going to create test orders and want to just manually force the reminder emails by changing the reminder seconds temporarily.

Can I create 3 test orders and just somehow retrigger those to validate your plugin updates or will I need to recreate another 3 orders again after the first 3? Thanks again

3 years 3 months ago #328052

Hi,

It is sent only once per order / cart.
There is a flag added by the plugin for each order / cart which allows it to know whether it already sent the reminder for it or not.
So it will send the notification only if the flag is not on (meaning that the reminder wasn't yet sent) and if the order / cart last modified date is within the waiting period / max waiting period window.
So if you want to reuse the same orders for your tests, you need to change the value of the column order_reminded for the order to 0 in the hikashop_order table in the database.
You can do that with PHPMyAdmin.

• Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #328073

Thanks a bunch, that is very helpful information. It looks like everything is working correctly now from your updates to the plugin. I created 3 test orders and confirmed all 3 orders were sent to the 3 email accounts individually only and no copies were sent to other accounts.

I would like to install the reminder plugin on all my other hikashop sites and confirm everything is working okay as they are having the same issues currently. Will the reminder plugin i download contain all the latest updates you applied recently?

3 years 3 months ago #328113

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.
I've just updated the plugin on our website with the latest patches so you can download it again on our website and install it on your other websites to get the same version as the one on the website you had provided us access to.

• Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #328136

Hey Nicolas,

I have downloaded and installed the reminder plugin on other sites and have confirmed the email issue has been resolved 100%!! I am not sure what you did within the plugin but I really appreciate you helping me with this. That reminder plugin really does help users go back and complete orders.

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds