Dynamic Drop-down menus for filtering and searching

• Thank you received: 1
5 years 5 months ago #300647

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.0.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.0
-- PHP version -- : 7.0.32
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome latest version

We sell automotive paints, so our products are paints (paint codes). A paint code can be used in a specific year, by a specific car manufacturer, for a specific model. Year, Make, Model. We had originally thought to set up my store with Year Make and Model as categories, and the paints as products. A single paint can be used in many years on many models, and sometimes different manufactures. We currently have about 20,000 products.

We would like to have 3 drop down menus to filter or search for a specific paint. So the first drop down would have years. 2000-2019 and a customer can choose say 2005. The next drop-down would have car manufacturers (Acura..BMW..Volvo), but filtered by year, so only car manufacturers that had paints for 2005, for this example lets use Toyota, The third drop-down would have car models and it would be based on the firs two selections, So it would only list 2005 Toyota models, Camry, Tundra, Tacoma... This can be easily seen on one of our competitors paintscratch.com.

So my question is can I do this with filters on Hikashop? And should I use Categories, or Attributes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
5 years 5 months ago #300666

Hello,

The range filter can only work correctly on a field (product custom field) and that field would have to contain just one value.
Regarding the complexity, I can't provide guarantee on the range filter targeting categories... Best would be to perform tests on it !

But since you have multiple values for years and manufacturers, the usage of categories is a good solution.
Afterwards, it does not allow to link a year with a manufacturer ; to do so it would require some custom development to have a new kind of custom field and maybe some modifications in the filter system to handle that new kind of field.
It is possible, we already saw it in websites ; but it is a too specific case to be provided as a generic feature in an e-commerce system.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds