• Hikashop Essential
3 years 11 months ago #318737

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.2.3 -Essential
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.18
-- PHP version -- : 7.3.17
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Firefox 75.0

Hi

I'm using the SmartSearch plugin and have 2 questions:

1) It finds products multiple times, assume this is due to the search word being picked up in various places in the Product listing? Is there anyway to control this so only one appears? Also I have product titles that include the ' character. Can I make it ignore these? ie Search: Mai = no results, 'Mai = results.

2) I can't seem to make it search on the Category names either. I have a category called "Ferns" with products under it, if I search on "Ferns" I get nothing, I was hoping it might display products under the Ferns category.

Is this level of searching beyond SmartSearch?
Is there a way to do it? Either in HikaShop or an Extension?
Suspecting I might need the Filters option in the full version (only have Essential)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
3 years 11 months ago #318772

Hi,

1. The smartsearch system will indeed index one product per category. so if you have products in several categories, you'll see the products several times, unless you also use the category filter (a dropdown) to filter further the results.
We actually have on our todo list the addition of an option to index products only once per category (loosing the category filtering in that case).
Regarding the way the search happens on the texts, you can't change these. It's handled by Joomla's smart search system (maybe Joomla has options for that ? but it's out of the control of HikaShop), HikaShop only provides the data to be indexed by Joomla's smartsearch.

2. Categories are not indexed. It would require the development of another smartsearch plugin and even if it would, you would get a category as a result, and then you could click on the category to get the listing of the products of that category.
We actually have such plugin for the normal search of Joomla.
I would recommend to look at using the normal search, together with such module: extensions.joomla.org/extension/universal-ajax-live-search/
It allows for results as you type, like the smart search, but don't have one product per category and can also work on categories.

With the filtering system in HikaShop Business, you can have the results as you type too, but it won't search on the categories. You can however have dropdown filtering on categories, custom fields etc. The big advantage with the filtering system is that you get the results displayed as a normal products listing so it's much nicer than the search results from the default view of Joomla.

• Thank you received: 1
  • Hikashop Essential
3 years 11 months ago #318808

Thanks, very useful!

Is your plugin called "HikaShop products search plugin" on the Joomla Plugins page?
When I create a new module I don't see any Hika search options...just Smart Search and Search (which I presume is what you refer to as 'normal' search). Does normal Search use the Hika Products in the background? its enabled. Think is does as if I disabled it I lose the Products radio button...

I created a 'Search' module and it certainly produces better results!
Can I get rid of the 'Brands' radio button? I don't have brands and there's no Search - Brands plugin to disable (like Content and Web Links). I looked in your Hika Product plugin and couldn't see anything there to remove it.

I'll think about the other search extension - it is quite expensive. Will see how the shop goes first!

Thanks

• Thank you received: 13071
3 years 11 months ago #318811

Hi,

Yes, the Joomla Search module uses the results from the HikaShop Products Search plugin.
The brands radio button is added by the HikaShop Categories Search plugin. You have a setting you can disable in its options to not have the brands search option.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Day

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds