Filters and custom fields between categories

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 10 months ago #333341

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.4.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.26
-- PHP version -- : 7.3
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome 91.0.4472.77

I need some help please, on how to use custom fields and filters between different categories.

Lets say I have 2 categories. Category A and category B.

1) Lets say I want to have a custom field called "color". It's a custom field and not a characteristic because the user does not select it. So I create a custom field with type checkbox, because a product may have two colors at the same time. Correct?

2) Category A products and category B products, have different values of colors (some are common). Do I create one custom field with all the possible values or do I create 2 custom fields, 1 for Category A colors and 1 for Category B colors?

3) If I want to use color filter, do I create 1 filter or 2? I would guess 2 filters, one for each category, because I don't want to have the colors of the other category displayed in the filter. Does this mean that I also need 2 custom fields? Now the custom field color may also be used in google products xml, shouldn't it be universal? I.e. have one custom field color for all categories?? But then how do I display the values of colors of each category in its filter?

4) Inside the details of the checkbox color filter, on the right side, it says: custom field (have chosen color) and below that, it says "Values". Is this to enter which values I want to be shown? Because this could be a solution to have ONE custom field BUT 2 filters. However, when I enter a value there and hit Save, the value disappears. Have tried with Defined limits on and off. Same thing.

Please advise,

Thank you in advance.

Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by kathrin20.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13068
2 years 10 months ago #333346

Hi,

You can have only one custom field with all the values, and one filter on that custom field.
In the filter, you'll want to activate the "dynamic display" setting so that it will only display the values selected by at least one product of the current products listing.
The "values" area of filters is for when you have numbers in the custom field you're filtering. With the values area, you can enter numbers that will generate ranges so that the customer can select between ranges instead of selecting between the values configured in the custom field. So in your case, you should leave that area empty.

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 10 months ago #333349

ok. All is clear now! Thank you!

Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by kathrin20.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds