Importing products with variants/characteristics

• Thank you received: 0
9 years 8 months ago #167370

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.3.3
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.30
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Safari 7.0.4

My apologies, I am new to Hikashop and am trying to determine the proper method for importing a client's products.

The shop will be the web front for a brick and mortar beauty supply shop. I have used Hikashop in the past for smaller projects and was impressed, so I figured I would give it a try for a larger one.

My issues is as follows:

Client has many products and many variations of each product. For example a line of Nail polish may have 100 colors and another line may have another completely different set of 100 colors.

Is it possible to configure a CSV import to create the product, product brand, product category, product parent category, and all 100+ color variations tied to the main product automatically?

The end-user should be able to select the product, and chose the color, size etc from drop downs. I have not been able to make this work successfully in HikaShop yet. Is this beyond it's capability?

I have attached a sample csv of the best I have been able to come up with yet. You will see it creates the following:

Categories:
Nail Care (Sub Categories - Gel Polish and Acrylic Powder)
Skin Care (Sub Categories - Hand Lotion and Eye Creme)

In the Gel Polish sub-category I have 1 main product with 4 variants
Also in the Acrylic Powder sub category 1 have 1 main product with 4 different variants
The Skin Care category currently has no products.

When this csv is uploaded it creates the categories and subcategories fine (the brand/manufacturers have be pre-created in Hikashop) It does generate some errors

This is where I run into my main concern:

The main product and 4 variants for Gel Polish are created in the proper category each as a separate product, however on the product page the variants are not listed.

I attached screenshots showing the product listing and the main product page in the Hikashop backend.

Am I way off base on how this should be done? Is this something that should be handled by the options setting instead of variants or characteristics?

My apologies for the long inquiry but I wanted to make sure that I properly explained what I was seeing in the hopes of recieving and equally proper response. I appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.

Thank you for your time and efforts in the making of and support of this product.

-Ryan

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
9 years 8 months ago #167488

HI,

1. Yes, this can be imported automatically.

2. Which means that the problem lies in your CSV format.
You're actually pretty close of the solution. You're just missing the default value of the characteristic for the main product rows in your CSV. Specify it and after you import the CSV, you'll see that the characteristics do display for the product on the product page.

3. Of course, you can use options instead of characteristics, or a mix of both based on your needs and options can also be imported automatically.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SHG

• Thank you received: 0
9 years 8 months ago #167489

Thank you for your prompt response. I'm glad to know that I am close to the solution!

I think I understand your advice. However, what would I use as a default value? Choose one of the colors? or is there some other option I should use?

Thanks!

• Thank you received: 13069
9 years 8 months ago #167522

Hi,

Yes, you need to choose one of the colors. The one you want to see pre selected in the characteristic dropdown on the product page.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds