HikaShop and Joomla 1.6 multilinguality question

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 1 month ago #7023

Hi

I'm in the look for a e-commerce solution for Joomla 1.6

Joomla has built in support for multiple languages.

So, let say I have installed two frontend languages: Norwegian and English, and want to sell
products in both languages.

When I create a new product, can I then create proper texts related to each of the active frontend-languages?
Then what about emails to customer, that ordered, bought a product, using a particular frontend-language... will these
emails be in proper language to....

Need some information how well HikaShop is handling this natively in Joomla 1.6?

If no support for this natively in Joomla 1.6, then what are my options?

Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by bongobongo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13035
13 years 1 month ago #7024

Hi,

HikaShop itself is translated in different languages and the translation strings in it will be displayed in the current language provided that you added the corresponding hikashop translation file. So, the texts on the website and emails will be in the language of the user.

Concerning the translation of products and categories (the content), it is handled in HikaShop with an integration with JoomFish which is the defacto solution on joomla 1.5 for translation. JoomFish is not yet ported on Joomla 1.6 so you won't be able to translate your content in HikaShop on joomla 1.6 until JoomFish is released for Joomla 1.6

I doubt that any other ecommerce solution for joomla 1.6 has multilingual capability at the moment. Your best bet is to stay with J1.5 for the time being I would say.

13 years 1 month ago #7026

Thanks for that answer....

I'm now 100% Joomla 1.6.

Do you have any plans to make HikaShop multilingual, natively on the Joomla 1.6 platform and without using Joomfish?

• Thank you received: 13035
13 years 1 month ago #7030

Supporting the joomla 1.6's way of multilanguage isn't so difficult actually. You just add a language attribute to products and categories and modify the queries in HikaShop to only display the products/categories of the current language.
The problem with this is that it means that you need to duplicate your products, one per language (it's what you have for articles, menus, etc). So that means extra work compared to the current solution where you just duplicates what needs to be translated.
Plus, when JoomFish will release their new version, that integration will become useless since the joomfish way will be better.

So we're still wondering if it's worth doing...

13 years 1 month ago #7043

Thanks for the fast answers.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds