More issues with filters

• Thank you received: 20
  • Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #98980

A big store needs a good search module, and I am still having lots of problems. The filter module allows me to select multiple filters. But then they display as a series of individual fields. Which is very clumsy and takes up a lot of space. And is unacceptable to the client for those reasons. How do I set the module to display the filters as a simple clickable dropdown menu of the type we typically see on all large e-commerce sites? Also, I could not find a filter for "search by price range." Or a filter for "sort by price - lowest to highest." Again, these are very common abilities for an e-commerce site. And I am still not finding a way to do it Hikashop. Can I make my own filters? Or am I stuck with the default filters that come with the installation package?
Thanks again,
-Jim Gribble

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #99030

I installed a filter to view products by price range. I set it to pull from a category called "Books and Monographs." Instead, it shows results from all categories and all products, including the ones that I want to exclude. Some products need to be excluded from search because they are not for sale directly through the store. The user must complete a registration form first. The price range function also does not work. Many products displayed on click are far outside the selected price range. The filter produces completely RANDOM results. The documentation for this is very sketchy. So I would appreciate some help.
I installed a filter to search by product description. I also set this to pull from the category "Books and Monographs" Instead it shows all products and categories, at random. I see no correlation between the keywords I type in and the search results that come up. Because there's no detailed instructions on how to set up filters, I wondered if I could get some help.
Only one of the three filters is working - and not very well. This is the "search product titles" filter. If I type in more than one word, it generates crazy scrambled results.
Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you. I would be happy to give you temporary back-end access to correct whatever I did wrong, if I did indeed make a mistake. Perhaps then I can look at the settings to see how this is supposed to work.
-Jim Gribble

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #99031

I seem to have fixed the other issues via the default Hikashop product display menu (571). There I set the category to my desired one: "Books and Monographs." But the select by price filter still produces random results. Also, the module will not allow me to display another filter I created to sort products in either ascending or descending alphabetical order. Why is that? How do I display a sort filter via the module? It seems not to be possible.
Thanks again,
-Jim Gribble

• Thank you received: 13104
11 years 1 month ago #99218

Hi,

When you create filters via the menu Display>Filters, you can select the type of display (dropdown, checkbox, radio, list, etc).

You can also select whether you want it to sort the data with the "apply on" option, or use the values of the fields/characteristics/categories/etc

With all the options available on that screen, you can make pretty much any type of filter which are used by big ecommerce websites.

The results are never random. However, it might seems random because you don't see the logic behind. For example, regarding the prices, due to technical limitations on calculations with current servers, it is not possible to dynamically calculate the discounts on the prices for the filters. Which means that either you have to use a precalculation mechanism which is quite complex to do or filter the products based on the undiscounted prices.
For now, HikaShop uses the undiscounted prices. And thus, if you have prices with discounts, you might get strange results regarding the filtering by price since it is the undiscounted prices which are used and not the discounted prices.

Regarding the filter module, it will display only the filters that you selected in its options.
So if you configured it once with one filter and that you added later on additional filters, you won't see them by default in the filter module as you will have to select them too in the options of your filter module.
I suppose that it must be why you don't see your new filters in the module so please check the options of the module.

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #99245

Thanks. I got all this. It wasn't the problem. This is what happened(s). I did not want my filters to search all products. Only the major high-volume products in a category called "Books and Monographs." I had decided to use the filter module because it's a more flexible display system. At first I tried to set the search category ("Books and Monographs") in the filter parameters. I found out the hard way that this works ONLY if you are displaying your filters by means of a menu item(s). That way the filters automatically appear at the top of all pages on click. But, if you are going to use the filter module, NO CATEGORY can be selected in the filter parameters. One might logically think that you should be able to select your search category in the module parameters. Not true. It is a good deal more complicated than that. You can only select which filters you want the module to show. To select a search category, you need to go to the default Hikashop product listing menu item to which the module is hooked up. The component installs this as menu ID 291. The module is hooked up to it by default during component installation. Only there, in the Hikashop menu options, can you select a search category for use by the module. And everything will work fine. As long as you DID NOT toggle any of your filters to select a search category. Relative to category selection, if the filter and the module are in conflict, I assure you that Hikashop absolutely will/does generate random-crazy results. Certainly this system does work well once you figure it out. But it also to me seems over-complicated and counter-intuitive. I had to puzzle it out by myself without any help from the documentation.
Please confirm for others that my above understanding is correct. So that people will fully understand all the steps to create filters for the module and then select a search category. This is going to be a very common need for clients who do not want their search results cluttered up with junk that they hardly ever sell. Shoppers will still have a way to find that seldom-sought junk, but the client doesn't want it to pop up constantly in product searches. Instead the client wants the search results to pull up high-volume, high-margin products which are in high demand. That was exactly my challenge in configuring the filters for this new site.
-Jim Gribble

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #99251

Hi,
I have one last (I hope) question about filters. It is really more about using menu items. There are a lot of product ordering options including one called price_percentage. I already have a click that alphabetically orders by name all products in the category "Books and Monographs." The client wants another click which will order by ascending price all products in "Books and Monographs." I tried toggling the menu ordering to "price_percentage" but that produced random results. How do you configure a menu item to order category products by price? This too is a very common need for clients with large e-stores and multiple product categories. It must be possible in Hikashop and I'm just not seeing it in the controls or the documentation.
Thanks again,
-Jim Gribble

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #99253

I have noted that in the products control panel you can click on all the sort options except "price." The rest - sort by name, code, quantity and published - all work. Could something have gone amiss with the component when I installed it? It's curious to me that the filter "sort by price" still does work.
-Jim Gribble

• Thank you received: 13104
11 years 1 month ago #99549

Hi,

1. I'm a bit confused about your message as not everything sounded clear to me.
You can set a category restriction for a filter regardless of whether the filter will be displayed by the menu item or by a filter module.
However, the category restriction cannot be enforced for filters displayed by a filter module if the "force redirect" option of the filter module is turned on. That's because that option will always redirect to a products listing menu which displays all the products of the store filtered based on the filters selected in the module. So it is logical that you see all the filters that you selected in the module in that case since the category you were in before the redirection will not be linked to the results displayed after the filtering.
Maybe that's why you got confused in thinking that you couldn't restrict filters displayed by a filter module based on the category of the listing menu item.

2. There is no "price_percentage" value for filters. You must be mistakening it with something else. Here is how a price sorting filter should be configured:

3. It is not possible for now to sort by price by default a products listing. That can only be done via a filter.
That's because sorting by price is much much more complex than sorting by another column as the taxes/discounts, etc cannot be calculated on the fly and thus would require a precalculation mechanism as I have said in my previous message.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds