How to display categories with a module?

• Thank you received: 0
10 years 11 months ago #105175

I know its in the documentation, but look, the documentation actually showed the interface for "categories with menu", www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...ml#categories_module

In content modules, if i create a new module for categories, the option of "Associated modules" is not available. and if i create one anyway, and display it in one of my page. It won't let me enter my category after clicking it, it will just go to an article that comes with joomla template. I don't know how this happened, and is there anyway to fix it to show the products of the category after clicking on it?

Overall, i am a little frustrated reading the documents. The tutorials are tedious, and with bunch of mistakes. Hope someone from hikashop can tiny up the english and the content in the near future. I don't want to purchase it before I am sure I can get it working. thanks,

Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by kennethinsnow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago #105179

It is working now, but i am still confused by how it was not working.
What happened is i changed the "menu" option from a hikashop hidden menu to any other menu, and now clicking on the category will lead me to its products or subcategories.

What does this "menu" option do exactly?
The online help says:"Menu : By default, the links of a HikaShop content module will go to a page displaying the listing to sub elements (products or categories). This page won't have any content configuration attributed unless you choose here a HikaShop joomla menu here where you will be able to configure its options and thus add there a listing of products, etc."
Besides the grammar errors, its also hard to comprehend what it is trying to say.

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 2322
10 years 11 months ago #105223

Hi,

For this option, you have to select an HikaShop menu to get his parameters, the content of the module will have the same display as the content displayed through this menu.
This menu can generally be a hidden menu, but it must be well configured.

10 years 11 months ago #105392

is this content menu module not properly configured?

if this menu is selected(which is the default), a random article is displayed when clicking on links.
While choosing any other non-hikashop menu will make the page work properly.

Please explain. thanks.

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 4004
10 years 11 months ago #105466

Hi,

I am sorry but I don't understand what you want to say.

A menu is a menu and a module a module. It is two different things in Joomla.
You're talking about a "menu" configuration but you want to create a module, it is not the same thing.

Our documentation explain how make a menu item which will point to an hikashop page (linked to a hikashop content menu) and display below this page, a specific module.
The example is : a category listing (menu) with a linked product listing (module).

If you want to create a category module, you can do the quite same thing than for the product listing module but, with a category listing instead.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

10 years 11 months ago #105563

I'm responding to Xavier's comments:
"This menu can generally be a hidden menu, but it must be well configured."

What is well configured menu that can be used in the menu option of the category content module?

Basically i am trying to figure out how to control the page that people see after clicking the links(like category).

• Thank you received: 13081
10 years 11 months ago #105637

It means that it needs to be of the type "hikashop categories listing" (not a joomla article menu for example), and that the hikashop options of the menu are properly setup so that if you access it, you see your categories and when you click on your categories, you see your products. Otherwise, if the menu is not configured properly and that you try to use it for a module, of course, the links of the module will point to a page which won't display what you want.

The simplest is the use the HikaShop categories listing menu item which is created by default by HikaShop when you install it under the Hikashop default menus menu.

10 years 11 months ago #106061

nicolas wrote: It means that it needs to be of the type "hikashop categories listing" (not a joomla article menu for example), and that the hikashop options of the menu are properly setup so that if you access it, you see your categories and when you click on your categories, you see your products. Otherwise, if the menu is not configured properly and that you try to use it for a module, of course, the links of the module will point to a page which won't display what you want.

The simplest is the use the HikaShop categories listing menu item which is created by default by HikaShop when you install it under the Hikashop default menus menu.

still confused. the fact is when I point that menu to a joomla article menu, it works properly(the links of the module points to the right page). however, if it is pointed to some "hikashop hidden menus" the module doesn't work properly, which is exactly opposite to what you said.

where is the hikashop categories listing menu item? how to create it, where and what do i need to install? what and where is hikashop default menus menu?

thanks,

10 years 11 months ago #106157

If you point it to a joomla article menu, the system will use the default options of the HikaShop configuration if you're lucky but sometimes the SEF system of Joomla will simply refuse to display anything.

If you point it to a hikashop categories menu listing, it will use the options of that menu. If it doesn't work properly, it simply means that the options of the menu were changed in a way that broke the menu.

So it matches with what I'm saying.

HikaShop default menus are available via the joomla menu manager:

If you want to create you own categories listing menu items, I invite you to read our documentation on that:
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...splay-front-end.html

Attachments:

10 years 11 months ago #106409

nicolas wrote: If you point it to a joomla article menu, the system will use the default options of the HikaShop configuration if you're lucky but sometimes the SEF system of Joomla will simply refuse to display anything.

If you point it to a hikashop categories menu listing, it will use the options of that menu. If it doesn't work properly, it simply means that the options of the menu were changed in a way that broke the menu.

So it matches with what I'm saying.

HikaShop default menus are available via the joomla menu manager:

If you want to create you own categories listing menu items, I invite you to read our documentation on that:

Thanks, nicolas. However, I only see hikashop hidden menu instead of "default menu" you refer to. Are they same?

As I mentioned before I point the menu option of my category module to one of the hidden menu but it didn't work. Could you please check what is wrong with the following configuration and let me how to fix them?

So you think its best to create a category with menu first, then point the menu option in the new category module to that menu?

Thanks again,

Attachments:

10 years 11 months ago #106505

Hi,

The hidden menus is something else.

If you don't have the default menus it means that either you're using an old version of HikaShop or that you installed an old version of HikaShop and updated later on and thus you didn't get them inserted as they are only added for new installs of HikaShop since we added them in HikaShop.
Thus, you will have to create yourself a category listing menu item and select it in the "menu" option of a category listing module instance that you would create to get your categories listing module. Both categories listing menu item and categories listing module instance creation are explained in the link I gave in my previous message.

In your screenshot the settings are correct expect for the associated module: You're using the related products associated products listing module instead of a standard one so it's probably not configured to do what you want it to do.

10 years 11 months ago #107375

You are rite. I installed an older version and upgrade it later.
What is a standard associated module? which one should i use instead of the "related product"?

thanks,

nicolas wrote: Hi,

The hidden menus is something else.

If you don't have the default menus it means that either you're using an old version of HikaShop or that you installed an old version of HikaShop and updated later on and thus you didn't get them inserted as they are only added for new installs of HikaShop since we added them in HikaShop.
Thus, you will have to create yourself a category listing menu item and select it in the "menu" option of a category listing module instance that you would create to get your categories listing module. Both categories listing menu item and categories listing module instance creation are explained in the link I gave in my previous message.

In your screenshot the settings are correct expect for the associated module: You're using the related products associated products listing module instead of a standard one so it's probably not configured to do what you want it to do.

10 years 11 months ago #107387

Follow the documentation on the creation of a categories listing menu here:
It explains how to generate a standard products listing associated module.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds