product title variants/characteristics

• Thank you received: 4
3 years 1 month ago #331157

let's assume I have 3 products/shirts:

product name: shirt red
product name: shirt green
product name: shirt blue

The product title would be e.g. "shirt red".
This is fine, since I can make an accurate selection with Options tree list in backend, and I can add variants SIZE: M, L, XL.l

When I select SIZE M on product page, I would get title "shirt red: M"

Can we edit the ":"?

Now, I have also a characteristic COLOR: red, green, blue.
When I want to make use of the Filter, I guess I need to add the characteristic COLOR red.

But this will result in the following title "shirt red: M red" and I also get a dropdown field for COLOR with product page.
Since there is only the option "red" with dropdown, this would still be intuitive to use.

Do I have to go with a custom field on this one, or can we tweak it in another way?
Is there a better way when it comes to title with focus variants and characteristics?

When I just take the title "shirt", I can't make accurate selection with backend admin tree dropdowns.

Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by knuffiwuffi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 611
3 years 1 month ago #331180

Hello,

Please in order to answer you more precisely, can you provide these elements :
- Relative Url link to see the context
- Relative screenshot configuration page
- Precise what do you mean by "Options tree list in backend"

"Do I have to go with a custom field on this one, or can we tweak it in another way?
Is there a better way when it comes to title with focus variants and characteristics?
"
=> We aren't sure to understand your point about the custom field, but let's try to help you about the product and Variants name.
When your product have some characteristics added, this open you the variants tab and to enter specific variant name, let's detail this idea :
Main product name : Shirt
Variant product name 1 : red
Variant product name 2 : green
Variant product name 3 : blue

=> Shirt: red or Shirt: green
Hope this will be more clear and help us to progress on your subject, awaiting your elements to progress on your subject.
Regards

Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Philip.

3 years 1 month ago #331190

2Hello,

when I follow your approach, I would have the following product names:

product name:

- shirt
- shirt
- shirt

This will cause an issue, when I want to select e.g. "shirt red" with backend tree lists, because of the missing COLOR postfix (see attached image). I guess what I actually need to do is add the COLOR with product name and have 1 main product for each COLOR. Makes most sense and would look like this:
product name:

- shirt red
- shirt blue
- shirt green

Now, I would add Variants SIZE (M, L, XL) with each product.

On the product page, I would - as an example - get the following product name after SIZE selection: "shirt red: M [product code]"
This would be perfect.

But what if I want to Filter products based on characteristic COLOR?

In order to use the Filter, I would need the Characteristic COLOR added with each product.
When I do so, I am getting an additional dropdown for COLOR, which would have only 1 Option (COLOR red).

It would still work for frontend users since there is only 1 color Option, but now I am getting the following title with product page: "shirt red: M red [product code]". As you can see, I would get the COLOR twice with the title.

//=====

Title with product page "shirt red":

on load "shirt red [product code]"
after selection SIZE: "shirt red M [product code]"

If possible there should only be 1 dropdown (SIZE) and I would want to use Filter for COLOR, SIZE.

[MODERATOR :] Please do not edit your message long after posting, this disrupts our ticketing system, and therefore may lengthen our response times.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Philip.

3 years 1 month ago #331202

ok...sorry

• Thank you received: 13069
3 years 1 month ago #331196

Hi,

If you want one product per color, then instead of using a characteristic for the color, you should rather use a custom field of the table product. Then, you can select that custom product field in your filter to filter the products by color on the frontend, and you can still distinguish the 3 products in the backend with their names.

Now, if you really want to use a characteristic for the color filtering and thus don't want to mention the color in the product name, you would have to change the line:
'displayFormat' => '[{product_id}] {product_name}',
to:
'displayFormat' => '[{product_id}] {product_alias}',
or:
'displayFormat' => '[{product_id}] {product_code}',
or something else in the file administrator/components/com_hikashop/types/namebox.php so that the selectors in the backend would display the product alias or code instead of the name. But since it's a core modification, you'll have to reapply the change after each update of HikaShop, so I don't recommend that.

Also, for the :, if you want to change it, you do a translation override of the translation key HIKA_VARIANT_SEPARATOR:
www.hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify

The following user(s) said Thank You: knuffiwuffi

3 years 1 month ago #331211

Thank you.
Now I know how to.

As you said, I will use a custom field for COLOR.
And good to know about the translation string.

I don't want to hack core either, unless really necessary.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

3 years 1 month ago #331220

Thought about it all morning.

I will keep the Characteristics COLOR and SIZE
Having both dropdowns isn't so bad after all, because they will follow the selection logic and I do like the auto generated title.

Having the COLOR twice in the title isn't perfect, but it will work fine and might even be a good idea (translation of characteristics).
The way you have it right now (title generation) is the most logical way to auto-generate the title.

Logistics will need a "speaking" title with logical order of characteristics, when processing the order.
This way they can double check the order (product code/speaking title).

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds