Product which is a group of other products + stock control

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 9 months ago #334582

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.4.3
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.28

Hi,

I want to sell individual products, and also a product which is a pack of these individual products. I've created an example on my dev site of individual bottles of wine, and cases of 6 bottles of wine. With the case, I want to give the customer the ability to choose each bottle based on the available individual wines in stock.
I am able to implement this in a 'static' way with either custom fields or options and variants, but neither gives me the ability to manage the stock because obviously, there is no way for the system to know that either the custom fields / variants I have configured are related a) to each other or b) to a main product.
In the example there are only 3 bottles of Sauvignon Blanc in stock, but the system will allow you to add more of these to your cart.

Do you have any plans to implement such a feature?

Last edit: 2 years 9 months ago by infinityb. Reason: ETA: sorry, this was supposed to be in 'Feature Request'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13065
2 years 9 months ago #334591

Hi,

Your topic subject is interesting. It actually defines exactly what the "bundled products" feature does:
You create product A, product B, product C, each one with its own stock.
And then you create product D and in its "bundled products" setting, you can select product A B and C with the quantity of A B and C in product D.
Then, when you want to add to the cart product D, the system will take into account the stock of product A B and C (and the stock of product D if it's not unlimited). And when you purchase product D, it will update product A B and C according to the quantity of A B and C defined in the "bundled products" setting.
So if you set a quantity of 10 in product A, and you add it to product D as a bundled product, you enter a quantity of 2, and then the customer purchase 3 product D, the quantity of product A after the purchase will be 10 - 2 * 3 = 4.

So using that capability, you could create a category of boxes where each combination of wine would be a product and then add the corresponding products as bundled products in these box products so that when the customer purchase one of these box products, the corresponding quantity would be updated in the original products.

The limitation of the bundled products feature is that you can't configure bundled products in variants of products. If you could, then you would be able to link the stock of each option choice to the corresponding product in your "Case of wine - options v2" product directly, without having to create one product for each combination box.
So that could be something to improve in the future.

• Thank you received: 0
2 years 8 months ago #334726

This seems so close to what I want but...

We will be selling train tickets to see Santa and children will receive a gift depending on their gender and age (Hika characteristics - easy).
- Each train has 15 seats.
- Children must be accompanied by at least one parent
- A second parent my join in at no extra charge
- Additional adults will need to buy a ticket

We originally thought to limit children to 5/train allowing for both parents but this might backfire
- one extreme case is 5 unrelated children each with 2 parents = 15 seats sold = train full, but then...
- what if: a family of 5 children and their 2 parents = 7 seats sold = 8 seats unsold

Is there any way to have a person as a stock item and use characteristics (and maybe bundles) to to allow us to fill a train?

Hopefully

Ben

2 years 8 months ago #334735

Hi,

Yes, it seems like it could using bundles. You could:
- create one product "ticket for an adult" with a stock of 15
- create another product "ticket for a child + an adult" with stock unlimited, the price for both the child and the adult, and the first product as a bundled product with a quantity of 2.
- create another product "ticket for a child + 2 adults" with stock unlimited, the same price as the previous product and the first product as a bundled product with a quantity of 3.
That way, the stock on the first product would be updated weither someone purchased the first, second or third product. And you'll probably also want to create products for 1 adult + several children for families with a lot of children.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BenClay

• Hikashop Business
2 years 8 months ago #335003

Hi, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, on the site there might be 10 different types of products to select from, so hundreds of different combinations - this would be difficult to maintain and also not a great user experience browsing through them all.

2 years 8 months ago #335006

Hi,

A simpler solution would be to create the products with the characteristics / variants / custom item fields like you want to display to the customers, and then develop a custom plugin to update the stock automatically upon purchase to reflect what was purchased.
For example, you could create a custom product field where you could enter the stock increment of each variant (2 for the variant "ticket for a child + an adult", 3 for the variant "ticket for a child + 2 adults") and only set the total stock in the main product. You could even have other products using the bundle mechanism to plug to the stock of the main product.
Then, the custom plugin would correct the stock of the product when it is displayed on the frontend based on the stock of the main product and the stock increment value and also update the stock of the main product after the purchase so that the stock stays in synch with what was bought.
Of course, this means having a developer work on that custom plugin for you.

• Hikashop Business
2 years 8 months ago #335018

Updating the stock after the order is one thing, but realtime (while products are in the cart) is another.

2 years 8 months ago #335020

Hi,

It doesn't change much. Either way, you'll need a developer to work on a custom plugin. It's just a bit more work in the plugin to pre-reserve the stock of the products in the cart so that other users will see the stock minus the pre-reserved quantity.

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds