Several links with pathway etc. en wrong display in Google

• Thank you received: 9
1 year 11 months ago #341417

Hi Hika team,

In mij website I have several url like /index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=35563&name=skin-so-soft-dry-oil-spray&Itemid=900&category_pathway=

For example This product:

This message contains confidential information

When I search this in Google it has the wrong category name and also points to that strange pathway url.

Please see attachment. This product is supposed to be in the category "Overige Verzorging" and not in Reiniging. I also never put it in the category Reiniging.

As I mentioned there are more of this sort of urls that are displayed this way by Google.
It is not possible to redirect these urls to the right product page (Redirect 301 in .htaccess)

Can you please provide me a solution for this? Please let me know if you need any screenshots from settings or whatever because I don't know where to look to solve this.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 11 months ago #341418

Hi,

From what I can see, you already entered the correct URL in the "canonical URL" field of the product.
So there is nothing more you can do in HikaShop.
What's left is for Google to reindex that page to get the correct URL indexed for that product:
developers.google.com/search/docs/advanc...sk-google-to-recrawl
If you have the same situation for many products, you can also setup a sitemap with the OSMap extension and configure our sitemap plugin for it: www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/8...ation-with-xmap.html
It will automatically use the canonical URL in the sitemap, and then you can submit the sitemap to Google.

1 year 11 months ago #341423

Thank you Nicolas,

OSMap sounds interesting but I haven't filled in all the canonical urls of my products yet so I think I better wait then until all the canonical urls are present? Or does is adjust the canonical urls as soon as you fill them in?

• Thank you received: 611
1 year 11 months ago #341429

Hello,

Instead of filling all your canonical Url, you can use Force canonical URLs on listings settings from Main HikaShop Configuration, go to Features tab and in Sef Url Options part.
Then, find the Force canonical URLs on listings option and set to "Use canonical URL and generate it if missing".

And so, the canonical URL will be filled automatically by the system when displaying the first time a link to the product page.
Hope this will help you.

Regards

Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Philip.

1 year 11 months ago #341434

Thank you Philip,

I know that option exists but my products already exist and I was under the impression that it only worked with new products. I started later [too late] with adding canonical urls.

1 year 11 months ago #341439

I did what @nicolas suggested but I have a few questions left.

I am still in the progress of filling all my canonical urls.
Does OSMap update them as soon as I fill them in or is this whats the setting is for?

And do I have to post that link in Google Search console?

EDIT: Never mind. I see OSMap changing the canonical urls amount :)

I assume I have to upload the link in Google Search console. If not please let me know.

Thanks again!

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by HSD.

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 11 months ago #341470

Hi,

OSMap won't update them instantaneously.
OSMap will generate the sitemap periodically. And each time it does, it will look for the canonical URL and use it if found in the products. So then, it depends on how frequently the sitemap is generated, based on how you configured OSMap.

And yes, you need to provide the sitemap URL to Google so that it can take it into account.
In the first link, I gave you, at the bottom of the page, you have a link about "Learn how to create and submit a sitemap."
On that page, it has information about how to provide the sitemap to Google:
developers.google.com/search/docs/advanc...d-sitemap#addsitemap
Ideally, you want first to submit the sitemap manually and check there are no errors in it.
And then, you can modify the robots.txt of the website to provide the sitemap URL of OSMap so that it is refreshed by Google and other search engines automatically.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds