PayPal Checkout

• Thank you received: 20
  • Hikashop Business
11 months 4 days ago #351840

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.7.2
-- Joomla version -- : 4

I have enabled the PayPal Checkout Plugin at your urging, and the client set up a PayPal Checkout account. I've generated all our keys. Now, how do I configure this payment system? I looked in the documentation, but there appears to be nothing on PayPal Checkout. Several other older PayPal options but not PayPal Checkout. Over at PayPal, I have a lot of configuration options. For basic setup, I chose Standard mode. Correct? I have a suspicion that few if any other parameters matter. I suspect we configure everything in the Hikashop pluigin. It takes over from PayPal Checkout. Correct? Just put in our keys and go. Correct? If you do in fact have some documentation for this newer plugin, please share it with us?
Thank you,
-Jim Gribble

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 611
11 months 4 days ago #351842

Hello,

First, the PayPal Checkout documentation is currently being written, so we will be able to provide it shortly.

Now, if you provide us with the screenshot of the Specific Configuration part.
Maybe we can guide you more, have you tried sandbox mode?
And if so, for what result? Were there any error messages?

Awaiting your returns
Regards

Last edit: 11 months 4 days ago by Philip.

• Hikashop Business
11 months 4 days ago #351850

I appreciate your support.
1. For basic PayPal Checkout setup, I chose Standard mode. Correct?
2. I have a suspicion that few if any other parameters matter. We configure everything in the Hikashop plugin. It takes over from PayPal Checkout. Correct?
3. Just put in our PayPal keys and go. Correct?
4. I can enable sandox mode via the plugin or Paypal. I just need to activate in plugin. No need to do the same thing over at PayPal. Correct?
5. PayPal also lets us generate a test card number so we can debug UX. I can use that in live mode, not just sandbox mode. Correct?
I do look forward to having some documentation, but may have a lot of questions, since there is no documentation as of yet. I like what I see but lack clear direction.
Thanks,
-Jim Gribble

• Thank you received: 13068
11 months 3 days ago #351853

Hi,

1. There is not "Standard mode" setting in the PayPal Checkout payment plugin, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
2. Indeed, you normally just have to provide the client id and client secret et enable the payment method and you should be good to go.
3. Yes.
4. Note that if you enable the sandbox mode, you need to provide a client id / secret from a PayPal sandbox merchant account, otherwise, it won't work.
5. In live mode, you need to use a real credit card. However, note that you can refund the payments in your PayPal merchant account. So you can always do a real test with a real merchant account and a real credit card and then refund it.
But if you plan on making many tests, using a merchant account with a test card is better indeed.
6. Documentation for PayPal Checkout is coming. We're currently writing it. It should be available in 2 / 3 weeks as we need approval from PayPal to publish it and the process is a bit long.

• Hikashop Business
11 months 3 days ago #351859

Thank you. This answers most of my preliminary questions. Yet, I still want to be totally clear on this following point:
Need I enable sandbox both in the plugin and over at PayPal? I think not. And I think this will always be the case when I encounter a similar instance. The plugin controls everything and whatever settings I select there cascade to PayPal. Correct?
The plugin looks pretty nifty. I see how I'll be able to add the client's branding and add links like a back-to-site button. It'[s more elegant than the usual offsite checkout system. Looks like a development of a plugin I first used years ago with Authorize. Thjey have siknce changfed everything around.
I look forward to the documentation but it's going to come a week too late, as the client wants to go live next week. Please bear with me as I perhaps ask more questions.
Best,,
-Jim Gribble

11 months 3 days ago #351862

Hi,

Need I enable sandbox both in the plugin and over at PayPal? I think not.

If you use sandbox credentials, you need to activate the sandbox setting. If you use live credentials, you need to turn off the sandbox setting. Otherwise, it will display an error as PayPal won't find your credentials as valid.

And I think this will always be the case when I encounter a similar instance. The plugin controls everything and whatever settings I select there cascade to PayPal. Correct?

Indeed, for the other settings, they override what is configured in the PayPal account.

• Hikashop Business
11 months 11 hours ago #351915

Thank you.
Now, some more questions about plugin fields.
"Shipping methods." If I activate them in the component, will they appear here? Or, do I have to add them somehow, perhaps with comma-separated text? What do I have to do to make it work?
"Cancel URL" and "Return URL." I want to use a relative URL here because this is a developmental site. When we go live as the new whitewatermarineinc.com, I want everything to still work. Redirecting to the mainpage of our store would be fine. Here is the system URL: index.php?Itemid=122 Can it be made to work this way? What value do I put in?
Thank you,
-Jim Gribble

Last edit: 11 months 11 hours ago by jgribble.

11 months 6 hours ago #351919

Hi,

1. You'll see the name of your shipping methods in there, so you'll just have to select them. But you first need to create shipping methods in System>Shipping methods.

2. You can enter the relative URL if you want. Note that if you leave the settings empty, HikaShop will display its default page. I recommand you leave these settings empty. For example, for the cancel URL, if you enter a URL there, when a customer click on the cancel link on PayPal's payment confirmation page, it will redirect you to that URL. But if you leave the setting empty, it will redirect back to the checkout, and that's usually better.

• Hikashop Business
10 months 4 weeks ago #351972

Thanks for explaining!
Now, we are all set for final testing. Not yet having access to documentation, could someone walk me through this. Step by step, how can I do some test purchases?
Thank you,
-Jim Gribble

10 months 4 weeks ago #351975

Hi,

You can create a sandbox account. That will give you a merchant and a customer account and you can use the merchant account to setup a test PayPal Checkout payment method with the "sandbox" setting activated and the customer account for the payment.
The payment will be virtual in that case.
developer.paypal.com/tools/sandbox/accounts/

Last edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by nicolas.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds