How to simplify the notifications

• Thank you received: 20
  • Hikashop Business
7 months 2 weeks ago #355553

I represent a small manufacturer which has a very lean operation. The store is beginning to attract buyers. They manufacture custom products on demand. Their production management system needs to be kept super simple. They are not comfortable navigating the control panel. This is not at all unusual, in my experience, when dealing with smaller companies.
So I need to set it up whereby they receive only ONE e-mail notification - when orders are confirmed and paid. They don't want to know about anything else at all. This e-mail has to contain the order details; AND confirmation of payment. That's it. I doubt they will want/need to be doing a lot of things in the back end. I have a large selection of potential notification e-mails to choose from. I'm not always sure what the labels mean and how they correspond to what I'm trying to do.
Then, of course, I need to be able to test the e-mail to see how it looks and make sure it does what it needs to do.
Please identify the e-mail I need to enable; and how to configure it.
Thank you.
-Jim Gribble

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13102
7 months 2 weeks ago #355562

Hi,

The "payment notification" email is the one sent to the admin when a payment plugin receives the payment notification request from the payment gateway and then changes the status of the order to "confirmed".
So that's the one you want to enable.
The "order admin notification" email is sent to the admin when the order is "created". So in your case, you want to disable it.
To check on how the emails look, you have a "preview" button when you're editing your emails in HikaShop.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ssnobben

• Hikashop Business
7 months 2 weeks ago #355564

Thank you, I will try this.

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356109

Unfortunately, it didn't work. We are still getting "confirmed" orders when the user cancels before paying.
So again I ask:
How do we configure a super-simple system whereby the store manager only receives notification when a product has been paid for? The person is too busy with other things, and not paid enough, to pay attention to any other notifications. All she needs is to be alerted to confirmed sales, with money changing hands. No other communications are wanted.
Thank you again,
-Jim Gribble

6 months 3 weeks ago #356114

Hi,

You're not talking about the same thing now.
So far this thread was about the emails sent to the admin.
Now you're talking about the status of the orders.
If the orders are confirmed before they are paid for, it means either you changed something to the settings in the System>Order statuses menu, or you messed up the settings of the payment plugin.
Please provide screenshots so that we can see what you did there.

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356152

Hi,
I am sorry; I thought I was clear that we are talking about e-mails sent to admin.
In your control panel, it is not always easy to tell which system e-mails do what.
I did not change any settings but will send you screenshots.
So again...
Which system e-mail do I turn on to send e-mail to admin whenever a purchase is complete?
Which system e-mail; do I turn on to send invoice to customer whenever a purchase is complete?
When I am finished I plan to re-label these so that they that they make sense to other people besides me.
This is really all that most people need who use Hikashop.
I would be happy to give you a login to quick check these things for yourself.
I apologize if I wasn't clear when I first started this thread.
Thank you,
-Jim Gribble

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356154

I am attaching some screenshots. I hope these are the ones you need.

Attachments:

6 months 3 weeks ago #356155

Hi,

Which system e-mail do I turn on to send e-mail to admin whenever a purchase is complete?
Which system e-mail; do I turn on to send invoice to customer whenever a purchase is complete?

For HikaShop a "purchase is complete" when the status of an order goes from "created" to "confirmed". This is normally done by the payment plugin when it receives a payment notification by the payment gateway.
When the order status goes from "created" to "confirmed" in such a case, it's the emails "order status notification" and "payment notification" which are sent, as I was saying before.

Now, if the status of the order goes to "confirmed" even though the order has not been paid yet, then, as I said in my previous message, your problem is not with the emails but with the order status of the orders which is not correct.

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356173

"Your problem is not with the emails but with the order status of the orders which is not correct."
How can I fix this problem? Where do I fix this problem?
So that the e-mail goes out ONLY when payment has been recorded.
I am sorry for being slow to understand this very complicated stuff. I appreciate your trying to help.
Would you like a login?
I am attaching a screenshot showing the two e-mails I currently have published. Does this look right?
Thank you,
-Jim Gribble

Attachments:

6 months 3 weeks ago #356176

Hi,

The emails settings are ok like this. With this, HikaShop will only send an email to the shop owner and the customer when an order is confirmed.
This normally happens after the payment.

If it doesn't work for you, please provide screenshots of an example:
- screenshots of the order details, especially the history area (make sure that the images is not too big or we won't be able to read anything)
- screenshot of the email you received which you should not have received

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356190

Hi,
Here is an example of a recent case in which order was cancelled and yet order confirmed and paid e-mail was sent. We checked the PayPal dashboard to confirm nonpayment. There was no activity noted in the account.
I appreciate your continued investigation into why this isn't working as intended. Probably a configuration error on my part somewhere.
-Jim Gribble

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by jgribble.

6 months 3 weeks ago #356193

Hi,

You can look at the email sent by HikaShop in the Customers>Emails history.
Could you provide screenshots of the details of the emails sent for that same order please ?

What I see on your screenshot of the order indicates that the PayPal Checkout plugin, on the server side, was not able to establish a connection to PayPal's server to validate the payment. Because of that it cancelled the order.
In such cases, more details will be available in the "payment log file" which you can access under the Main tab of the HikaShop configuration. Please provide a copy of what you have there.

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356220

So, the payment plugin isn't working right? I did something wrong there?
I can't figure why, because I made a number of successful test purchases in sandbox mode.
Thanks for your continued help.
I am attaching a screenshot of the actual email which was sent.
This for the cancelled transaction referenced above.
Despite the transaction not going through, the person got a confirmation email.
-Jim Gribble

Attachments:

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356221

Over at PayPal, I toggled sandbox mode and off and made sure it is off. I also reimported the API keys. Maybe that will help?
I am showing you the Hikashop payment plugin settings.

Attachments:

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356224

Please stand by, I may have fixed this myself, based on your clue to look at the payment gateway.
Thanks again for all the help,
-Jim Gribble

6 months 3 weeks ago #356222

Hi,

Note that you can't just toggle the sandbox option.
With PayPal, you need to use the credentials of a sandbox account when you activate the sandbox option, and you need to use the credentials of a live account when you deactivate the sandbox option.
Were you able to look into the payment log file ?

Regarding the email, I see a problem in the code of the plugin. The line:
$this->modifyOrder($order_id, $this->payment_params->invalid_status, true, true);
should be changed to:
$this->modifyOrder($order_id, $this->payment_params->invalid_status, false, true);
in plugins/hikashoppayment/paypalcheckout/paypalcheckout.php so that the customer is not notified when the payment notification is refused.
Now, it is normal that the payment notification email is still sent to the owner of the website, in order to notify him of the problem with that order. The message in that email will say that the payment is cancelled (unless the email was customized to remove that message).

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356243

Thanks, this has probably been the issue all; along. I didn't realize I had to create a "live" app separate from the test app. So now I have done that. I logged into developer.paypal.com/dashboard/applications and in live mode create a new app called "wwmlive"
I added those new keys to the plugin.
Did I finally do it correctly now?
I can read and write script but where do I make the small code change you are recommending?
Thanks again,

Attachments:

6 months 3 weeks ago #356249

Hi,

Indeed, with the live mode, you need live app credentials. It should work much better like that.

The small code change can be done by editing the file via FTP or via the file manager of your cpanel. Your hosting should have provided you with one or the other.

• Hikashop Business
6 months 3 weeks ago #356250

Feeling much better. Based on the screenshots, can you confirm that the config is now correct?
I have multiple ways to get to the file if I know where to look. What is it named and what is the path? Also what line, if you have that info handy?
Will you fix this issue in next release? (I did not change it; could not have, because I don't know where it lives.)
Thank you,
-Jim Gribble

6 months 2 weeks ago #356253

Hi,

Well, I can't say for sure if your client id and client secret are correct with a screenshot. First, they are not completely displayed in the screenshot and I don't know what they are in your PayPal account. So I can only assume that they are probably correct.
The rest of the settings look fine.

I already gave you the path of the file in the message where I gave you the modification to do : plugins/hikashoppayment/paypalcheckout/paypalcheckout.php
So I'm not sure what else you're asking ?
We will include the change in the next version of HikaShop, yes.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds