presale questions

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 5 months ago #26959

Hello,
I am looking for a fine shoppingcard solution for joomla for two of my customers and would like to know whether hikashop is the right choice or not. I had a look into HikaShop Starter, but am not sure about that, so I am asking here and would be happy if you could answer my questions, if hikashop does provide these features or not.

Though they are going to sell different products (books and cosmetics), both of my customers are looking for very similar features as follows:

• wish lists
  • gift wrapping (option to select when buying a product)
  • ask a question function
  • faq
  • glossary
  • product review function
  • newsletter
  • time limited/user specific vouchers/coupons
  • gift certificates
  • would you recommend hikashop for selling books?

Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by websquirrel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13036
12 years 5 months ago #26961

Hi,

wish lists
-> Not yet possible. It's in the todo list for now.

gift wrapping (option to select when buying a product)
-> You can use options for that in our commercial editions

ask a question function
-> You can turn on a contact us button for that in our commercial editions

faq
-> That's not something ecommerce solutions do. You should use a FAQ component for joomla: extensions.joomla.org/extensions/directory-a-documentation/faq

glossary
-> same as previous

product review function
-> You can use the integration in place with jComments. There is an option to activate it in the configuration once you have jComments setup on your website

newsletter
-> We have an integration with AcyMailing allowing you to do all you can think of between an ecommerce extension and a newsletter extension in our commercial editions.

time limited/user specific vouchers/coupons
->Yes. Advances restrictions on discounts/coupons are available in our commercial editions via the menu System->Discounts

gift certificates
-> Well, I'm not sure what you want here. They can be represented in some cases as normal products which of course, does not require anything. Some users, though want to generate coupons from these products sale, which is not possible for now but could be achieved by writing a plugin for that.

would you recommend hikashop for selling books?
-> Sure. Whether they are electronic or real, you can sell them with HikaShop.

12 years 5 months ago #26963

Thank you for the quick and helpful answers. :)

I would like to go more into detail concerning selling books: books are special, because the "manufacturer" is not very interesting, moreover the author(s) and publisher are important. We would need browsing by author and have a link to a page with more personal informations about the author and a list of all his books with direct link to the product page of that book in the shop and vice versa. Do you understand what I mean? Would that be easily possible with hikashop? If yes, how would you recommend to handle that? :blush:

Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by websquirrel.

12 years 5 months ago #26970

Hi,

Well, actually you could use categories as authors and publishers. Since you have have several categories for each of your products, you could build several category trees, one for authors and one for publishers (and maybe one for genre ? or year of publication ? ).
That would allow you to easily naviguate on your store by these categories.
Then, one thing missing would be a link from the product to the categories on the product page.
That would have to be added by editing the code of the file "show" of the view "product" via the menu Display->Views.

12 years 5 months ago #26976

again thank you for your quick and great answers. That sounds to be a good solution, actually. Your support seems to be top. That's good to know ;)

Another question: I am quite used to joomla 1.5 so I would prefer to install HikaShop on joomla 1.5 until I have enough experience with joomla 1.7/1.8. So I am going to switch from 1.5 to 1.8 next year if you do not have any argument contra. Is HikaShop better on Joomla 1.7? Does it have any advantage to start on joomla 1.7 or would be 1.5 fine as well from your point of view?

12 years 5 months ago #26977

Any version of Joomla is fine.
There are a few minor differences though:
on joomla 1.7 the ACL fine tuning is better and doesn't require any other extension to setup the user groups.
on joomla 1.7, you don't have joomfish yet, with which we integrate for multi language. So you would need to stick to joomla 1.5 for now if you need that.
on joomla 1.7 the translation library is locked down and we can't override translations in the back end and in emails. That's not a big issue, and you can go around the problem, but still.

On our end, we still use joomla 1.5 for our website and our demo website mainly because of joomfish. Once joomfish will be compatible, we'll probably switch to joomla 1.7 or 1.8

12 years 5 months ago #26978

Again thank you. So you agree with me to stick to Joomla 1.5 for now and wait until everything runs perfect on Joomla 1.8 ;)

12 years 5 months ago #26979

Well, everything runs great on joomla 1.7. It's just that we need multi lingual capability on our website so we have to stick to 1.5.
Otherwise, we would have already moved to 1.7

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds