• Thank you received: 17
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 1 month ago #339976

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.5.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.10.6
-- PHP version -- : 8
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Brave 1.32.113

Hello,

I need to use an SEF extension for my project to fine-tune URL rewriting. Which SEF extension do you recommend?
Some offer specific plugins to manage the HikaShop component such as MijoSef or JoomSef.

>> Plugin MijoSefPlugin MijoSef
>> Plugin MijoSefPlugin JoomSef

The best known being sh404, MijoSef and JoomSef.
The sh404 component does not offer a specific plugin, but perhaps it manages URLs very well natively?

I would love to hear your feedback.

Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
2 years 1 month ago #339979

Hi,

As far as I know, Miwisoft has discontinued their Joomla extensions several years ago.
And if you look for the changelog for MijoSef, it seems that no new release have been out since 2018:
miwisoft.com/support/docs/mijosef/introduction/changelog
I would highly recommend to not use it. It might have security issues that have been discovered since then but haven't been fixed, and using it on Joomla 4 will be impossible the day you decide to migrate.

I'm not familiar with JoomSef, but never heard anything bad about it.

Regarding Sh404SEF, it's a double-edged sword. It allows you to have any SEF URL you want for any page on your website. So if that's something you need, it's great. It's a powerful tool. However, this means that it saves the correspondance between the SEF and non SEF URLs in the database. And thus, when you change your menu items, products settings, Joomla article settings, you might face 404 errors as the correspondance needs to be updated in Sh404SEF.

Now, I would personally not recommend using a SEF URL extension if you can. We don't use one on our website and it works fine. It's a bit more difficult to setting Joomla / HikaShop to get the URLs you want, but then I think you have less pain in the long run. And in the end, the fact that the URL is a bit different from what you envisioned probably won't matter at all for your website SEO.

I'm not a SEO expert, however, any such expert should tell you that what matters most for SEO is the content, not the URL itself. So rather that spending days or weeks configuring a SEF URL extension and have to maintain it in the long run, it might be better to work on the content of the website itself.

• Thank you received: 17
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 1 month ago #339992

Thank you for your feedback and all the details. I agree with you the main thing in SEO is content, content and content ;)

On a project I use a mega menu and therefore I don't have exactly the URLs I would like to obtain. It is true that this can require significant work and complications over time.

I had not seen that MijoSef was out of date for a long time ... Which explains why it is no longer in the list of Joomla extensions ... Already the support was not very responsive which the sh404 extension does not.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds