Paypal team asking for framework changes

• Thank you received: 1
3 years 5 months ago #324949

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.6.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.4.6
-- PHP version -- : 5.6
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : chrome

Hi Nicolas,

Our team has been contacted by Paypal team and they are telling us that the method used by us (hikashop's payment method paypal) is using an outdated approach which will not be supported in future. They are asking us to change it and use their new SDK for frontend/backend server side API. I understand we are using old version of hikashop and so I downloaded new version of hikashop and compare the paypal plugin and I have found that even current latest hikashop paypal plugin is not using the SDK for frontend and backend (server side api) which paypal is asking us. Their new API is object oriented and we have to include the PHP SDK for server side calls. For ex. use PayPalCheckoutSdk
link: developer.paypal.com/docs/business/check...r/#1-add-server-code

Here is the details of the SDK shared by them

developer.paypal.com/docs/business/checkout/
developer.paypal.com/docs/business/check...p-standard-payments/
developer.paypal.com/docs/business/check...rver-side-api-calls/
developer.paypal.com/docs/business/checkout/add-capabilities/

I have informed Paypal team 10 days back that to contact hikashop team for this because If Paypal believe the changes are very much required and they see security concerns in the outdated method & if they will be stopping support for this methods then this change must come in hikashop product as like us there will be many more users using the hikashop and they will also face issue in future and hence the hikashop product should includes the fixes which others will get it as a update or upgrade of hikashop version.

So I request you to please have a look into this and let me know your thoughts. Also I wanted to know have you been contacted by paypal as I did tell them to reach you ?

Thanks,

Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by wschredl.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13037
3 years 5 months ago #324953

Hi,

We also use the PayPal standard payment plugin on our own website to sell HikaShop.
That's actually the most common payment API of PayPal used online I believe. It seems they now call it "Express Checkout - NVP/SOAP".
And that's indeed an old API as it was already the standard when we started HikaShop 10 years ago.
In between, they've added tens of other APIs, removed some of them, etc.
I recall that a couple of years back, they purchased the braintree payment gateway, and later on also contacted some merchants to migrate to braintree stating that the standard API was old.
So far we were not contacted by them about that new checkout API.

I just checked again and it indeed seems that they made the "Express Checkout - NVP/SOAP" API deprecated a few years back:
developer.paypal.com/docs/archive/expres...kout/ec-integration/
Now I don't see them removing support for that API any time soon as even new merchants continue to setup their new shops with it.
And before they do, I sure hope their would be some kind of roadmap published with precise dates of when the API would go down.
Until then, you can sleep on both ears.
Now you have alternatives in HikaShop if that API goes down tomorrow: PayPal Pro, PayPal advanced, PayPal express checkout, PayPal rest (the last one is on the marketplace).
Will we work on that new "checkout" API from them ? Probably, yes, but I don't see it as an urgency. PayPal has been releasing new APIs constantly in the past 10 years and no one has been switching to these new APIs each time.

Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by nicolas.

• Thank you received: 1
3 years 5 months ago #324992

Thank you Nicholas. I appreciate your detailed response on this. I have also been trying to avoid such change in system. Paypal plugin works fine for us without issues(we do have issues with eselect plugin as many times our customer faces issues in it and finally they try payment via paypal then). Paypal is trying to push this from April end and I have been delaying that as first due to lockdown our resources were limited, future was uncertain . Also Paypal team themselves admit that it is not mandatory to move on this SDK for now. I will be informing them politely again that if any such change needs to come then it has to come via hikashop as that will be a better way to get the plugin in future.

Once again sincere thanks for your efforts.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds