PayPal Checkout - documentation?

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Essential
1 year 5 months ago #345488

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.6.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.10.11
-- PHP version -- : 7.4

Hi!
As I see I need Client ID and Client secret - if I want to use new plugin Paypal checkout
Where I can to get it? Any documentation?
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 609
1 year 5 months ago #345493

Hello,

Unfortunately we haven't any documentation specific for Paypal Express (not yet at least).
We think that you will be able to get your paypal reference, here or speaking with Paypal support.

In any case, on the side of the HikaShop plugin a priori, just enter its references and your plugin should work.
Regards

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Philip.

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Essential
1 year 5 months ago #345505

Thank you/ previous plugin PayPal will to be work?

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by designer71.

• Thank you received: 13037
1 year 5 months ago #345512

Hi,

The previous PayPal plugin is still working and most merchants using HikaShop are still using it.

• Thank you received: 5
1 year 5 months ago #345689

Hi, I managed to make the new Paypal checkout plugin work (client ID and secret are made available in the Developer portal of Paypal creating an App) but the new plugin lacks some of the options of the previous one:

• parameters for the address (choice of billing/customer/none), address override option
  • send details of the order option
  • no shipping configuration
  • show notes
  • allow payments notification
So for maximum flexibility probably we have to stick for the moment with the old one? Which are the hidden values for these parameters in the new plugin so that if they are set as we need, we can go with the new one?
I think the old API will be later discontinued so I'd like to move to the new one but having fully understood if some flexibility is lost.
Thanks a lot

Giuse

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Giuse.

1 year 5 months ago #345693

Hi,

It's not the same API, so PayPal doesn't offer the same capabilities.
So because the option is not there doesn't mean that we didn't want to add it (or didn't have the time) but more likely that this option is just not possible with the new API.
For example, there is no "send details of the order" option because the new API always require all the details of the order. So it's as if that option would be always activated in that new plugin.

Also, the new API brings some nice new things. For one thing, the customer stays on your website while still maintaining PCI DSS compliance. If you choose the credit card option there, it directly opens the credit card form, without any hassle like with the old API.
Also, with the next version of HikaShop, we'll add a new "funding" option which will allow you to accept other payment methods like "pay later", "sofort", "ideal", etc via the PayPal checkout plugin, offering more payment methods to your customers. And that is not possible with the old API.
All in all, I personally feel the new API is much better for the user and thus for the merchant too, without even going in the fact that the old API will probably be discountinued at some point in the future.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Giuse

• Thank you received: 4
1 year 5 months ago #345993

Just to be sure - if I update Hikashop to the latest version, will it not affect/overwrite my current Paypal payment plugin?

Best Regards,
Anders

• Thank you received: 609
1 year 5 months ago #345999

Hello,

No, it won't because it's a totally different paypal payment plugin, and so it just add a new polugin without overwriting your old plugin.
Regards

• Thank you received: 14
  • Hikashop Business
9 months 3 weeks ago #352083

Hi,
can you point me to a guide on how we set up paypal to use the new plugin. We've set up an app with the; client id, client secret and merchant id - but the payment method isn't showing up as part of our checkout.

Thanks,
Ian and Stu

p.s. we really want to get away from the basic paypal checkout because it's confusing our customer and forcing them to sign up for an account.

edit: Hi, we fixed it by including our business name, which is listed on the same PayPal backend page as the Merchant Id. This may confuse other people too. In short, Do Not Use the Merchant ID.

Last edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by smithshop123. Reason: problem resolved.

9 months 3 weeks ago #352084

Hi,

Here is the documentation we're working on for the next version of HikaShop:
www.hikashop.com/home/blog/499-hikashop-...-paypalcheckout-form
All the options are not yet available in the current version of the plugin.

Last edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by nicolas.

• Hikashop Business
9 months 3 weeks ago #352147

Hi,
we don't have the 'connect to PayPal' field in the version of the plugin we're using. Do we need to upgrade or download a newer version?
We're running 4.7.3.

Regards,
Ian & Stu

9 months 3 weeks ago #352149

Hi,

No, that's normal. As I said, not everything is available yet. The connect button will be in the next version.

• Hikashop Business
9 months 1 week ago #352455

Hi,
I'll start a new thread if need be but the new paypal plugin was working and is now failing to complete. The error on the backend of paypal says;
Date: 19 Jun 2023 03:35:53
HTTP status: 422 ERROR
Debug ID: f1240203f811c
Request path: POST /v2/checkout/orders/2US11195YB896532C/capture
Error message: The requested action could not be performed, semantically incorrect, or failed business validation.

The plugin is configure exactly the same on another site (and a different host) and hasn't had any problems. It's strange that it worked and then stopped. Let me know if you can decipher the error or if I should chase up PayPal. I never find them very helpful unfortunately.

Thanks,
Ian and Stu

• Hikashop Business
9 months 1 week ago #352458

Hi, the sandbox mode works but switching back to 'live' isn't working.

• Hikashop Business
9 months 1 week ago #352462

I had to switch of 'block duplicate invoice ids' on the backend of paypal. If you have multiple site and one business, paypal doesn't play nicely. I'll let you know if we have more problems but this seems to have fixed it (fingers crossed).

9 months 1 week ago #352463

Hi,

This error message covers a large range of issues:
stackoverflow.com/questions/55798231/cap...rmed-semantically-in

I'm afraid you'll have to check what's going on with the PayPal merchant technical support from your PayPal account.
With the information you provided above, they should be able to check what went wrong and tell you what is missing. It could be some verification step on the merchant account, or some setting in the merchant account.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds