HikaShop PayPal Checkout plugin redirects to Zettle

• Thank you received: 1
  • Hikashop Business
9 months 2 weeks ago #353318

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.7.4
-- Joomla version -- : 4.3.3
-- PHP version -- : 8.1.20
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome 114.0.5735.199
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : Your PayPal payment method is obsolete and will soon be discontinued by PayPal, etc.

I tried to connect my Hikashop Business component to the Hikashop PayPal Checkout plugin, and when I clicked on the "Connect to Checkout" button, it started asking me questions about Zettle, then denied my request to connect.

I have only a handful of products (they are high-ticket) and I want my connection to PayPal to be as simple as possible, otherwise I'll be abandoning HikaShop entirely.

Why do you recommend the Checkout plugin rather than the other PayPal options in the list?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
9 months 2 weeks ago #353320

Hi,

As the message we display on your backend says, the old PayPal API which is implemented by the old PayPal plugin will be discontinued soon by PayPal. There is no date set yet, but it's more than 15 years old.
PayPal reached to us asking us to promote switching to the new PayPal Checkout in advance of that change in order to smooth things out for merchants.
Other than that, the new PayPal API has a nicer user interface for customers, with more payment methods available to them, like bancontact or Pay Later. These can increase your transformation (more sales for the same amount of users). So we think it's a win-win situation for everyone.

Normally, when you use the "Conntect to Checkout" button, there are no questions. You enter your PayPal email address and password, you click on the "Agree and connect" button and that's it.
What you're describing is the procedure when you create a new PayPal account through there.
Note that PayPal uses different accounts for their sandbox and live environments. So if you activate the sandbox setting and try to connect, if you provide your live account email address, PayPal won't see your account for that email address on their sandbox environment and you'll be led through the registration workflow of a new PayPal sandbox account.
I suppose you must have done something like this.

Also, alternatively to the "Connect to Checkout" button, you can manually retreive your Client ID and Client secret from your PayPal account to enter them in the payment method:
www.appinvoice.com/en/s/documentation/ho...id-and-secret-key-22
That way, you won't need to go through the "Connect to Checkout" button.
However, if you provide the Client ID and Client secret from a live account with the Sandbox option activated, it won't let you go through the payment at the end of the Checkout.

• Hikashop Business
9 months 2 weeks ago #353341

My account is not in sandbox mode. The PayPal account I planned to use has been an active business account for more than 10 years, which is why I'm questioning the fact that PayPal is asking for business information.

Are you saying that NONE of the other PayPal plugin options are valid?

• PayPal Advanced
  • PayPal Express Checkout
  • PayPal Pro
  • PayPal Website Payments Pro Hosted

9 months 2 weeks ago #353345

Hi,

I'm saying that you need to make sure that the "sandbox" setting in your payment method is turned off when you try to connect with your live account, otherwise, it won't recognize it and will try to create a new sandbox account for your email address.

All PayPal payment plugins included in HikaShop are valid, for now.
So you can use any of them, including the old PayPal payment plugin.

• Hikashop Business
9 months 2 weeks ago #353355

I had not even gotten to all the settings before clicking on the PayPal Checkout button, so as you see below, the Sandbox setting was off.

For now I will keep the existing PayPal setting since it works. It's annoying to continue to see the message; any way to turn that off?

Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by toolie.

9 months 2 weeks ago #353360

Hi,

There is no option to turn it off.

As I said before, if the connect button doesn't work for some reason, you can directly enter the client ID and client secret of your PayPal account in the fields below. It will do the same as with the connect button.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds