Different Customer Fields for Different Products

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 4 months ago #86138

Hello,

My client sells personalised products. I am wondering if it is possible to set different customer fields for different products allowing them to enter their personalisation messages? We also want to set a max. length on the fields (e.g. 20 characters - it would vary from product to product). Would that be possible?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4006
11 years 4 months ago #86157

Hi,

You can create custom fields for products and items which could be assigned to a specific product or a specific category.
A product custom field is an extra displayed data for your products.
An item custom field is an extra input data for your products. The customer could fill the input before adding the product into the cart (and this information would be stored in the database with his order).

So I guess that "item custom field" would be the right solution for you.
You can test this feature in our demo website : demo.hikashop.com/administrator/

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

11 years 2 months ago #93613

Hi,
I have been looking at the demo back-end. Can you tell me how to apply the item codes to a specific product? I thought I would be able to add the item code then selct it in the product screen, but I didn;t seem able to do this.
Many thanks,
Anne

• Thank you received: 1778
11 years 2 months ago #93625

Hi Anne,

As Jerome said :

An item custom field is an extra input data for your products. The customer could fill the input before adding the product into the cart (and this information would be stored in the database with his order).

You'll be able to create your "item custom field" through "Hikashop->Display->Custom fields->'NEW'" and set the "Table" option to Item.

Hope this will help you.

11 years 2 months ago #93665

Hi,

I'm not really any clearer. I could already see where to add the item custom field, but what i don't understand is how I apply different item custom fields to different products. E.g. a product may be a mug with 3 item custom fields which are different lines of personalisation with different labels and different max characters ('front of cup' max 20 characters, 'back of cup' max 15 characters etc) and another product (a t-shirt) might have 1 totally different item custom field e.g.'t-shirt slogan' max 10 characters.

Please let me know if this is going to be possible with the business edition.

Many thanks,
Anne

• Thank you received: 13102
11 years 2 months ago #94015

Hi,

Yes it is possible.

When you create the custom field (of the table "item" or "product", you can specify on the right of the screen the categories for which is will display. That way, you can have a custom field which will only display for the products of the "t-shirt" category and another one which would only display for the products of the category "cup", etc.

11 years 2 months ago #94078

Thanks for that. I've created a custom field in the demo but how do I get the categories to show up?
My other concern would be that the products requiring say 3 lines of personalisation may not logically match with product categories - e.g. some cups may require 3 lines of personalisation, others only 2 and others just 1. From the users point of view at the front end though, you would only want 1 category for cups. Can you assign cups to a sub-category?
Thanks again,
Anne

• Thank you received: 13102
11 years 2 months ago #94097

If you have that case, then you can do it the other way around.

Create one unpublished category per field and add the categories in the corresponding custom product/item fields.
Then, add these categories to your products based on which field you want for each product.

Here is an example of custom product field on our demo website :
demo.hikashop.com/administrator/index.ph...=field&task=edit&cid []=32
You can see on the right that it has a "category" area with an "add" button.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds