product characteristics on product listing

• Thank you received: 1
10 years 1 month ago #147774

Please can you tell me if it is possible to show the product characteristics on the products listing page with a buy now button so it is not necessary to go through to the full product listing page?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
  • Hikashop Business
10 years 1 month ago #147776

This request keeps popping up.
I also are in desperate need of this function. For a number of websites I even abandoned Hikashop and used Virtuemart to get this function running.
For now the hikashop structure is not capable of adding this function into the product.
But as more and more developers are requesting this feature somewhere in the future this will be also possible with hikashop.

I understand that this select variant and click add to cart function can only be true if only one variant is added to the product.

Kind regards,
Cornel

10 years 1 month ago #147778

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I saw that 18 months ago Hikashop said this option was not available YET. Was hoping that they had developed it by now!
Any progress on this Hikashop??

Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by chadders.

• Thank you received: 1778
10 years 1 month ago #147777

Hi,
Note that this feature is actually on our TODO list :), another solution can be to use an Item custom field (and not characteristics) to display a "variant" dropdown through your product listing.

10 years 1 month ago #148131

What I would like to do is be able to have say, pipe lengths, each with its own price.
I'd really like to be able to add to cart one of each pipe length by choosing from the variants.
I can't see that that is possible with custom fields... or am I misunderstanding?

• Thank you received: 1778
10 years 1 month ago #148135

Hi,
Using custom fields can be the solution only if the price won't change regarding the product variant.

• Thank you received: 75
8 years 2 months ago #231185

We know this is an older post, but since we haven't seen any updates on this so far we would like to add also our interest in being able to show a characteristic on the product listing page.

As we've been getting more and more products in different sizes, this functionality is becoming more essential as this would enable us to keep our webshop much more orderly and user-friendly. We've been using Hikashop for many years and have been very satisfied with it and the support, it would be a shame if we have to look at other options.

Hopefully we can look forward to this feature soon!

• Thank you received: 13071
8 years 2 months ago #231207

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We're working actually on a new cart and checkout system. So the characteristics on listing feature is not for now but it's on our todo list.

7 years 11 months ago #239418

In case it may be of help to anyone else, for now we've come up with an easy solution to display "Add to cart" buttons for all the variants of our characteristic on our product listing page so customers don't need to go to the product page first.

It's nothing complicated, we haven't changed any code and are not loading the characteristics or anything, we're just adding a couple of buttons in the product description. By placing the following in the product description it's possible to directly add a variant to the cart through Ajax, with a text input field the customer can even enter a desired quantity for the variant:

<input id="YOUR_VARIANT_QUANTITY_FIELD" value="1" class="hikashop_product_quantity_field" name="quantity" type="text">

<a href="#" onclick="var field=document.getElementById('YOUR_VARIANT_QUANTITY_FIELD'); hikashopModifyQuantity('YOUR_VARIANT_PRODUCT_ID',field,1,0,'cart',0); return false;">Add to cart</a>

You have to manually fill in the correct product ID for every variant in the above code, so it does require some manual work, but for us it's a nice improvement and seems to be working fine.

If there are any improvements we can make, we'd be glad to know!

• Thank you received: 2
7 years 2 months ago #260732

Hi GW

Thank you for your post.
I can't seem to get it working though I added the coding you gave and the system brings up the popup saying the product has been added to the cart, but it does not add anything.

Do you have an example where I can see how this looks and works.

7 years 2 months ago #260790

Hi,

unfortunately we moved away from using characteristics some time ago due to an increase in complexity and some limitations of characteristics, so we don't use the above code anymore.

With the new cart system in Hikashop 3 it looks like things have changed a bit, so if you're using Hikashop 3 that may be the reason why it's not working. Other than that it's difficult to say, if you can provide a link of your product listing, I could take a look for you.

Kind regards,

• Thank you received: 4004
7 years 2 months ago #260791

Hi,

As written by Nicolas 11 months ago

We're working actually on a new cart and checkout system. So the characteristics on listing feature is not for now but it's on our todo list.

For sure, the development of HikaShop 3.0 was very long. For now we want to stabilize the new system and thanks to the new code base, new features like characteristics on listing would be possible (but it will require for sure, a development).

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

5 years 1 week ago #305792

Hi,

after a few years we've decided to give this another go trying to display also characteristics in our product listing, as we noticed the variant_ids are already being loaded in the product array.

We have no problem getting the variants names, quantities, etc. and we are able to get the price with the usual

$currencyClass->getPrices($product, $ids_of_variants, hikashop_getCurrency(), $config->get('main_currency'), hikashop_getZone(), $config->get('discount_before_tax'));
However, this is where we get stuck because the taxes are not being loaded along with the price.
Would you know a solution to get the taxes for the variants as well?

We did notice that in the hikashop_product table the product_tax_id field remains 0 for variants. Manually setting this field to the same tax_id as the main product does give us the correct variant prices with taxes, but this is not really a viable solution to do by hand for many products and variants. We were wondering why variants are not automatically given the same product_tax_id as the main product (since it isn't possible to set a different tax rate anyway for a variant in the back-end).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by GW.

• Thank you received: 13071
5 years 1 week ago #305811

Hi,

We were wondering why variants are not automatically given the same product_tax_id as the main product

You're wrong, the variants are automatically givent the same product_tax_id as the main product. It's actually done dynamically when the products/variants are loaded on the frontend. That's why the value in the database is 0.
Doing it like that, it gives us the possibility to be able to have different tax categories for different variants of the same product in the future, which is something that has been requested.

The problem is with your code actually. Normally, when the product page calls the getPrices function, $product is the main product and it has an array of variants in $product->variants. In that case, the getPrices function automatically uses the product_tax_id of the main product if it is empty in the variant.
So supposing that you have the main product data in $this->row, and the variant data in $product, you can add the line:
$product->product_tax_id = $this->row->product_tax_id;
before calling the getPrices function and it will work fine.

5 years 1 week ago #305825

Hi,

ok that makes sense, thanks.
It's been a while since we last made some code changes, but it's working nicely.

Kind regards,

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds