Product Custom Field / Characteristic display

• Thank you received: 0
  • Hikashop Business
4 years 3 months ago #314255

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.2.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.13
-- PHP version -- : 5.6.40
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Firefox
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : there's no error display. this is a conceptual question

Hello,

The link provided is to our dev instance but there's nothing there you need to see. This question is conceptual in nature and not about a specific bug/problem.

I'm porting a client's old custom-built e-commerce website to Joomla and Hikashop business edition. Great software btw! The old site has product custom fields (kind of like product characteristics or product custom fields in Hikashop). The old site has a total of 90 fields (displayed as a multi-select field) that display in the backend of a product. However, the only fields that show up are fields that are assigned to the product's parent category.

As I was conceptualizing how to bring this data over, into the Joomla Hikashop site... I found that it doesn't seem like Hikashop is structurally suited to store data this way. If I create a product custom field I'll see all 90 of these fields in the backend of every product. If I create category custom fields then the fields will only show up in the backend of the category and not on the product where they need to be.

Do you have any suggestions about how I could achieve this type of hierarchy using the built-in features of Hikashop?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 611
4 years 3 months ago #314264

Hello,

Thanks for you precise and detailed description, before answer we want to know if the issue you want to avoid is to have a product backend display "too big" in the Custom fields part ? Because that won't be nice or to strange in product backend page ? Or difficult to use ?...
In this specific case :
=> Do you know that if the shop owner don't need to edit it, you can remove your custom field to be display in the product backend page ? This mean that you can set it via the Display dropdown => Custom fields directly OR via a Mass Actions, both case once and for all.

If, for a reason or another this can't match your needs, details why through a concrete case and any elements that can help us to understand the required use of the product backend page around this point.

Awaiting your returns from you to better answer you, if needed.
Regards

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Philip.

• Thank you received: 0
  • Hikashop Business
4 years 3 months ago #314271

Yes, we don't want to have 90 custom fields in the backend of every product. a) it'll make the custom fields area too big as you mentioned and b) none of the 90 fields are relevant to all products. Some of the fields pertain to T-shirts, while others pertain to Safety glasses, or Safety showers. Having all 90 display will make product administration very difficult as the admin will not know which fields should pertain to a given product. If hikashop custom fields aren't the right fit, is there another part of hikashop that could fill this purpose?

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by elevology.

• Thank you received: 611
4 years 3 months ago #314275

Hello,

No, from our point of view the Custom fields is the best way to process, as I don't know the way you want structure your data, or to be more precise how the data will intersect... Why you don't use Custom Field restriction part ?

In details you can create restrictions through Categories or even list several products.
Plus, it's possible to have a custom field display (in general) only when a previous custom field as a precise selected value (Display limited to).

Hope this will help you to move forward on your subject.
Regards

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Philip.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds