Create and use new product page layout

• Thank you received: 20
  • Hikashop Business
1 year 1 month ago #350048

-- url of the page with the problem -- : www.javelincommunications.com/build-you-dream-stanchion
-- HikaShop version -- : 4.7.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.10.11

One of the keys to customizing Hikashop is the ability to create and use new product page layouts. However, the documentation and the guidance given to me seem to assume that I know how. I don't. Usually in Joomla, we have the ability to copy or save-as. That is missing here. It would appear that we simply rename the trailing tag of our PHP file name and then save. But I don't want to assume anything because it is so easy to break Hikashop and the website with an errant keystroke. Can someone please show me step-by-step how to create a new product page layout and then use it? It seems like a very, very, very useful thing once one learns the trick. And once one gets over not seeing the usual Joomla save-as or copy options.
So, I'm asking:
How to create a custom layout variant by closing an existing one?
Then, how to select it for my product layout?
I think I get but it pays to be absolutely certain. Thank you, my project is really coming along well. It's going to rock.
-Jim Gribble

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 1 month ago #350060

Hi,

As you're using the "tabular" layout, you're editing the product / show_tabular.php view file in the menu Display>Views.
There, you have an input field with the text "tabular" in it. Change that text to something else, like for example "my_tabular" and save and you'll get your new layout.
Then, in the "page layout" setting of the products, you can select "my_tabular" instead of the "tabular" to use this new layout.

• Hikashop Business
1 year 1 month ago #350079

Again, thank you. In other words, like this?

Then, select it here?

That's very cool. Really fantastic.
Now, we also love Smart Slider 3 for making advanced content blocks with a vast array of amazing effects. Here's a typical insertion code. <?php
echo nextend_smartslider3(834);
?>
Can I just drop that into my new custom layout, at the top say, to create a custom banner?
-Jim Gribble

Attachments:
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by jgribble.

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 1 month ago #350081

Hi,

You can try. I suppose it should work. I've never tested it myself.

• Hikashop Business
1 year 1 month ago #350093

I think you're referencing Smart Slider?
As far as cloning layouts and selecting them, am I on the right track there?
Thank you!
-Jim Gribble

• Hikashop Business
1 year 1 month ago #350095

Nicolas,
I just want to tell you that embedding a Smart Slider banner via PHP layout works beautifully. So we can now have a beautiful, dynamic, completely mobile page banner across the top of our product page.
-Jim Gribble

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas, oxido

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds