Restricting sales of specific products to specific countries.

• Thank you received: 1
  • Hikashop Essential
3 years 11 months ago #319243

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.2.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.16

Hi Everyone, I've been looking on the forum but I still cannot find how to sort my problem. I am in the UK and sell worldwide. However, I have a couple of products that I do not want to be for sale in the UK, only to Europe and the US. I would like the products to be visible to all, just that when it is added to the cart, if the customer tries to ship to a UK address, they will not be able to continue their purchase. I will put a note on the product page saying this item is only shipped to Europe and US. Any tips much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13064
3 years 11 months ago #319246

Hi,

You need to create different shipping methods for the different zones (if that's not already the case) and in the shipping methods settings, you want to activate the "shipping price per product" setting.
Then, in each product, you'll see a new "shipping prices" area where you can see each shipping method with that setting activated.
And for each one, you can add extra fees for the shipping of the product via that shipping method. But you also have a "block" checkbox to say that you don't want that shipping method to appear on the checkout if that product is in the cart.
That way, you can remove the shipping methods restricted to the UK country for these products you don't want to sell to the UK.

• Hikashop Essential
3 years 11 months ago #319272

Hi Nicolas,

Many thanks for your speedy reply. I have just tried to implement what you have told me and it works correctly when a European customer add a 'UK blocked' product cart to the cart. But, I still have a problem when a UK customer adds the 'blocked' product to their cart and tries to checkout...

If I add the 'blocked' item to my cart and select a UK shipping address for checkout, the cart shows the shipping option for non-UK customers, and still allows the customer to proceed with checkout and pay. I would like that if a UK customer adds a 'blocked' item to their cart and tries to checkout, they cannot chekout and a message appears saying something to that effect.

Thanks in advance.
Bella

• Hikashop Essential
3 years 11 months ago #319273

I have just had a thought - is it becuase I created a shipping zone for Europe, rather than for specific European countries? Does the UK also come under the umbrella of Europe in Hikashop?

So, I just changed my shipping zone from Europe to Italy. When a UK customer customer tried to checkout with the blocked product, we get the error message saying the total of your order is too high for all the possible shipping methods, which is good. When an Italian customer tries to checkout with the blocked product they are shown the correct shipping method, which is also good!

So, I have 2 more questions. Firstly, is there a way to deselect UK from the Europe option or do I have to add each European country that I will ship to, the the shipping method?

Secondly, is there anyway I can create a different message that pops up to tell a UK customer that that they are trying to checkout with a blocked item and hence are unable to checkout. I don't want to change the current message that pops up (total of your order is too high) because that message is being used for some other blocked shopping methods. (Due to Covid19 I have to stop some of the non-tracked services to Europe so if customers try to checkoout they see that message and then contact me for a revised cost). Can I create a new message that only pops up when UK customers add blocked products to their cart and try to checkout? I currently have 2 products that I want to block UK customers from purchasing.

Thanks again for all your help.
Bella

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Bella1975.

• Thank you received: 13064
3 years 11 months ago #319294

Hi,

1. In the menu System>Zones, you can create new zones. So create a zone of the type "shipping" and select the countries you want to be in that shipping shipping zone in its "sub zones" listing. Then, just select that shipping zone in your shipping method(s) for that area and the shipping method(s) will only display in the customer is in that area.

2. HikaShop has many error messages for shipping method restrictions, one per restriction setting.
And it will only display the first one, when no shipping methods are found.
So for example, if you set a price restriction to some of your shipping methods and the total amount doesn't match for the current cart, then that error message is added to the list of messages, and similarly another message is added if a shipping method can't be displayed because of a product in the cart. However, since you have several messages and the system only displays the first one, it might not be the best suited for the current situation.
Now I don't know how you configured all your shipping methods and their restrictions. So I can't say exactly what would be best here.
Know that if you want to change an error message (or any other part of the interface of HikaShop), you can use a translation override:
www.hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bella1975

• Hikashop Essential
3 years 11 months ago #319323

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you so much, your help has been invaluable. I have now managed to set up the shipping restrictions as I wanted to. Thank you again.

Regarding the message, I might just leave it as it is at the moment as I don't like fiddling too much and my computer knowledge is somewhat limited.

I'm extremely happy to have sorted out the shipping problem.

Have a good day.
Bella

The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds