organisation problem with shipping methods

• Thank you received: 12
3 years 8 months ago #322652

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.3.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.20
-- PHP version -- : 7.2.32

Hello...

this is the second day that our multivendor site is open to public and we already got the first complaint from vendor about the way that the shipping settings work.

Vendor created about 20 new products and applied shipping methods to all of them.

Then he wants to create a new product and apply a unique shipping method that is special only for this product. So he creates a new shipping method.

And here comes the huge problem!!!

The new shipping method is applied to all of the vendor's products and he has to edit all of his products again to block the new shipping method.

Why should the shipping methods be applied by default to all products and then be blocked one by one and not apply the desired shipping methods only to the products we want to apply them to?

What happens if a vendor has 300 products and he wants to add a specific shipping method to one of them?

Please give us a solution... thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
3 years 8 months ago #322683

Hello,

I'm sorry but I don't think it's a huge problem.
The workflow you're describing is not a classical way to organise a store (even a not multi-vendor one).

Creating one shipping method for one product is counter productive and you might need another organisation or feature instead of choosing that.
The big question is "why do you think you need that ?".

HikaShop do have "shipping price per product" to be able to override a shipping price for a product.
HikaShop also have "warehouses" and you can create generic warehouses so your vendor can organise their products as they prefer.

I don't really have a solution for you but I can tell you that you need to think about a workflow that you want for your store.
Creating one shipping method for every product is not a solution and I (or we) can't propose you a feature which would go in that direction.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

3 years 8 months ago #322770

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry but I don't think it's a huge problem.

Allow us to say that this is an enormous problem when you have to deal with a large number of vendors who upload large number of products. Especially when they start complaining and you have to support them.

The workflow you're describing is not a classical way to organise a store (even a not multi-vendor one).

Forgive us but we want to organize our store the way we need it to be and not the way that you might consider as a "classical way".

Creating one shipping method for one product is counter productive and you might need another organisation or feature instead of choosing that.

We do not want to create a new shipping method for each product. We never said that! What we want is when vendor creates a new shipping method, not to be auto applied to all of the vendor's products and then have to block it to all the previously created products.

The big question is "why do you think you need that ?".

We explained why we need this function, but we will try to explain again with an example. So leaving the "think" part of your reply out, we reply to why we need this.

You are a Vendor that created 50 new products with applied shipping method "Buyer arranges Shipping". Then you create another 50 new products with applied shipping method "UPS"

Everything is ok so far...

A month later you decide that you create 10 more new products that will be sold only to Canada and you need need to add another shipping method "Canada post" only for the products that will be sold to Canada.

Can you please tell us how you will avoid "Canada post" to show on all previous 100 products and show only to the 10 products? Will you edit 100 products one by one to block "Canada post"?

HikaShop do have "shipping price per product" to be able to override a shipping price for a product.
HikaShop also have "warehouses" and you can create generic warehouses so your vendor can organise their products as they prefer.

Yes... Hikashop has all the required functions. But Hikashop is not HikaMarket! If we had to set out store with HikaShop we would have done that, we would have set warehouses or anything else to make our shop work properly. Here we have to deal with HikaMarket where everything must be simple because everything is set by vendors (in our case vendor is a company's employee with limited knowledge on setting up an e-shop).

3 years 8 months ago #322801

We see that you have changed the title of our support thread from...
HUGE PROBLEM with shipping methods
to...
organisation problem with shipping methods.

Changing the title does not mean that the problem is solved. We are expecting to tell us how you would deal with the situation like the example of our previous post (Canada post).

We need your reply so that we can reply to our site's vendors.

• Thank you received: 4004
3 years 8 months ago #322778

Hello,

A month later you decide that you create 10 more new products that will be sold only to Canada and you need need to add another shipping method "Canada post" only for the products that will be sold to Canada.
Can you please tell us how you will avoid "Canada post" to show on all previous 100 products and show only to the 10 products? Will you edit 100 products one by one to block "Canada post"?

As previously mentioned : warehouse.
I will create the new shipping for a "group" (aka warehouse) and add the 10 products into that warehouse.

Yes... Hikashop has all the required functions. But Hikashop is not HikaMarket!

Indeed, HikaMarket is an add-on for HIkaShop which inherit the core feature, so which can use all HikaShop functions : Warehouses are still available, such as the shipping restrictions.

Forgive us but we want to organize our store the way we need it to be and not the way that you might consider as a "classical way".

Sure. HikaMarket and HikaShop and flexible Joomla! components.
You can come with a defined workflow and we would be able to provide you way to go in that direction.

We explained why we need this function

But I don't see any description of that "function" in your first message.
Only in your last message you're introducing a concept for a custom plugin.

There is not a huge problem with HikaMarket or with the HikaShop shipping methods.
If you want a feature request, best is to describe the feature you need.
You message started with the description of a "bug" or "huge problem" and you asked for a solution regarding an issue that was not defined.

I'm aware for HikaMarket improvements and still open to suggestions.
And the same for the HikaShop team ; if the feature request would be a HikaShop shipping core feature.

Your last message talk about the need of "blocking" new created shipping method for all (vendors) products.
That is something which cannot be added in the HikaShop or HikaMarket core ; but that's something which can be done thanks to a custom HikaShop plugin.

HikaShop do have triggers that a plugin can use : www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/6...ingConfigurationSave
But I will prefer that trigger :
function onBeforeHikaPluginCreate($type, &$element, &$do) {
   if($type != 'shipping') return;
   /* ... */
}

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds