• Thank you received: 5
  • Hikashop Essential
2 years 4 weeks ago #340463

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.5.0
-- Joomla version -- : 4.1.0
-- PHP version -- : 7.4.28
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome 98.0.4758.109

Hello
I am struggling with setting up shipping methods as I've never had to do this before. I am working with the shipping methods plugin and my model is simple. I have books only, either printed books or downloadable ebooks. I want to ship to UK only for all physical goods but have no restrictions on downloadable goods as obviously they don't require shipping.

I am getting into a confusion as either the shipping methods don't display, or they do but I seem to still be able to checkout without any shipping being applied at all. I have so far set up 2 shipping zones, one restricted to the UK and one restricted to a manual zone which includes the whole world apart from the UK. Not sure if I'm heading in the right direction

Not sure if I am understanding correctly what the zone restriction does. I assumed it restricts shipping to only that zone eg UK, so that only people from the UK can order. But if that were the case, why do you need to use the blocking option? That sounds to me like you are then blocking UK sales rather than blocking everyone else. I am starting to think I have maybe got things back to front!!

Ideally I would like for UK to be the only country in the select list where shipping outside the UK is not available, at the point where the customer fills in their address details. But I don't know if this is possible.

Thanks for any clarification.
x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
2 years 4 weeks ago #340470

Hi,

You sure can restrict the countries available in the country selector by disabling the country zones in the menu System>Zones. However, in that case, the users won't be able to select their country in their billing address either, even for downloadable goods which you want to be able to sell worldwide.
So I don't think that it's the way to go.

Here is what I propose:
- make sure that the "force shipping regardless of weight" setting is turned off in the HikaShop configuration. That way, the shipping address, and shipping method selection will only appear on the checkout for products with a weight.
- make sure that the downloadable products don't have a weight and that other products have a weight.
- create shipping method(s) with their "zone" setting restricted to the UK country zone (no need to create shipping zones in your case). That way, when the shipping methods selection appears (for shippable goods), it will only display the shipping methods if the user shipping address is in the UK, and otherwise it will display an error message that no shipping method is available for the location of the user and will prevent him from checking out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JenDee

• Hikashop Essential
2 years 4 weeks ago #340496

Thank you for your help! I have followed your instructions and made some progress but not quite there.

I attempted checkout with USA selected as the country, I did get an error message but it said to complete the State field, which is a select option and did have a state selected.

Also when I switched the country back to United Kingdom, the State selection still remained in the USA.

Then I have set up 3 shipping methods with weight restrictions - up to 250g, 500g and 500g - 2 kg. I tried to make an order of 2 different books with a combined weight of just over 500 g and I got the following error:

The cart items combined weight is too big for all the possible shipping methods

Also, in the shipping method should I now select 'Use price per product' or not and do I need to set 'Include virtual
products price' to Yes?

URL is omegapointpress.org.uk/jom if you need it.

Thanks so much for your help
x Jennie

Last edit: 2 years 4 weeks ago by JenDee.

• Hikashop Essential
2 years 4 weeks ago #340497

Country switching is working now - maybe was a glitch in the browser

• Hikashop Essential
2 years 4 weeks ago #340498

I've sorted this problem (I think):
"The cart items combined weight is too big for all the possible shipping methods"

• Hikashop Essential
2 years 4 weeks ago #340499

Getting the correct error message now after I submit the checkout form. So hopefully I'm getting there.
It's a shame they will have to fill out the form to find out but I guess I can put a message at the top of the page to prevent them trying.
x

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

• Hikashop Essential
2 years 3 weeks ago #340614

Hello

I thought I had this all working but I've just put the site live and checking through, and for some reason if I add virtual products to cart it is still adding shipping methods.

I found a post about this and the resolution suggested was to put 0.01 weight on the product settings. I have tried this but hasn't fixed it for me.

I also double checked that the force shipping option in the checkout config was still set to yes.

What have I missed?

www.omegapointpress.org.uk/shop/ebooks

Thanks again for your invaluable help

x

Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by JenDee.

• Hikashop Essential
2 years 3 weeks ago #340615

Oh silly me in going live panic. Force shipping should be set to no not yes! Fixed!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds