Tax by County (US)

• Thank you received: 0
7 years 6 months ago #252405

Hello,

I went trough the forum and previous posts trying to figure out how Hikashop must be configured in order to have different tax rules according to customer address (County). A question previously asked but I was not able to succeed with some of the options.

I know is possible to make Country -> State then the State-County, but this will be an issue in case international sales are required.

I also tried adding New Zones (Counties) and make it Sub Zones of the State (example, created Alameda, Sacramento and setup as California Sub zones.)
Then added Tax rules only for those zones but I'm facing two issues:

- The first is this didn't worked, I tried adding a postal code just for testing and didn't work also.
- The second is how should I link the County field (added as a custom address field) with the zone or tax rule?

Goal: The Idea is having different tax rules per county within an state. For example, in California there will be a tax rule of 7.5% for 57 Counties and 8% for 1 County. Same with other States varying the %.

Question: How should I proceed to achieve this goal? is ok if requires some coding, but before adding hundreds of Counties, I would like to be sure is working. I will appreciate any suggestion or workaround on this you may be able to provide.

Remarks: The county will be a field on the address. It will be a dropdown to avoid different ways to write it.

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
7 years 6 months ago #252427

Hi,

The simplest is to leave the zones as they are configured by default and simply create an account with TaxCloud and configure the TaxCloud plugin provided by default with HikaShop.
It will calculate the taxes automatically based on the address of the customer.
And the TaxCloud service is free provided that you submit your taxes with it.

Otherwise, to configure tax rules manually per county for all the states, it will take you a huge amount of time. You would basically need one tax rule per range of post codes for each county so you'll end up with thousands of tax rules to add.

• Thank you received: 94
7 years 6 months ago #252472

I noticed that international sales were mentioned in the original post. Be aware that Tax Cloud won't handle the international transactions if that's indeed a real concern: service.taxcloud.net/hc/en-us/articles/2...international-sales-

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts

7 years 6 months ago #252476

Hi,

As far as I know, taxes should be 0% fo sales outside the US unless you have shops in other countries.
So for most cases, it should be fine. Otherwise, Avalara can handle taxes from everywhere:
polishedgeek.com/services/hikashop-ecommerce-tax-automation

The following user(s) said Thank You: PolishedGeek

• Thank you received: 0
7 years 5 months ago #254577

I have had a Taxcloud account for some time and it is not FREE unless you agree to allow them to collect taxes for you in ALL of the States where they have an agreement established. You will end up being on the hook for sales tax collections and reporting in no less than 23 States and if you only go with your own State (which is only where I would charge and collect sales tax) you will be assessed a $10 monthly fee.

Another issue was that when the final test transaction was processed and payment was made through PayPal the transaction was not recognized by Taxcloud so my site would not be changed over to LIVE in their system and the information reported to PayPal was incorrect so the transaction was denied by them because the amounts didn't match (the HikaShop invoice was for one amount, that included shipping and sales tax, but the amount that was reported to PayPal for processing was one cent higher so PayPal refused the transaction).

With this information now, what is the best way for me to setup my County based sales taxes without having to use the Taxcloud service because I am not going to pay $10 per month just in case I actually make an online sale within my State. Suggestions anyone?

7 years 5 months ago #254585

Hi,

If the total amount calculated between PayPal and HikaShop is different, it means that you turned on the "send order details" setting of your PayPal payment plugin and have the "round taxes during calculations" setting turned off in the HikaShop configuration.
In that case, PayPal calculate itself the total out of the prices of each product and can sometimes find a different result as the rounding is handled differently. Change either of these settings and you won't have that problem.

Before developing an integration with TaxCloud, you had two possibilities:
- use the post code restriction of your tax rules to configure the different tax rates basing yourself on the post code entered by the customer.
- modify your zones via the menu System>Zones by:
* unpublishing all your countries.
* changing the type of all your state zones to "country"
* creating state zones, one per county for your state(s)
Then, you could use the zone restriction on the tax rules and selectin there the counties.

Both of these solutions are a lot of work to configure and maintain though.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PolishedGeek

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds