Tax setup for Canada

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikaauction Standard
5 years 3 weeks ago #305249

Hi,

I'm trying to set up taxes for five different provinces in Canada, but I can't seem to figure out the way taxes work.

I've set up the zones for taxes, and I've created the taxes as sub items of the default tax. But I can't assign more than one type of tax per product (they all need to be able to be taxed at the rate of the province they are purchased in), and when I test the check out process, I get the default tax rate.

What, step by step, do I need to do to ensure that taxes for all products are calculated based on the billing address?

Thanks,

Tamara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13064
5 years 3 weeks ago #305259

Hi,

You can indeed only select one "tax category" per product. However, you can create several tax rules via the menu System>Taxes' new button for the same tax category. And if you activate the "cumulative tax" setting of your tax rules, then several tax rules can apply for the same tax category at the same time. That's the key to setup HST and GST in Canada since you want in some states two tax rates to apply at the same time based on the state of the customer.

• Hikaauction Standard
5 years 2 weeks ago #305298

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, BUT it's already set up that way, and it's still only adding GST to all sales, even in BC, where the tax rate is 5% GST, and 7% PST. So that's not working.

Also, more worryingly, the tax calculation seems to be wrong. A product costing 162.23 has GST (which is set at 5%) as 7.73. That's not five percent.

I need someone to log into my site and fix this so it works, AND calculates the CORRECT taxes! How do I make that happen?

Thanks,

Attachments:

5 years 2 weeks ago #305301

Hi,

If that's not working, it means that you're missing something in the way you setup your tax rules.
Please provide screenshots of the tax rules for your example so that we can tell you what you have missed.

Also, the tax amount is correct. So I don't know how you make your calculations but it's your calculations that are wrong.
If the total with taxes is 162.23 and you have a 5% tax rate, it means that the amount without taxes is 154.50. 154.50*5% = 7.23 which is what the amount it on your screenshot.

• Hikaauction Standard
5 years 2 weeks ago #305308

Lol.

This is like asking someone who doesn't speak a foreign language to explain their problem in that language.

So far, your "support" is not great.

In the interests of speed, I will attach the screen shots, but maybe you should think about making your documentation user friendly instead?

As for the tax amounts, thanks for the patronizing tone. Right after I sent it, I realized that that it was displaying including tax.... would have been easier to spot if it said something like.... I dunno. Including Tax?

• Hikaauction Standard
5 years 2 weeks ago #305309

Here are the screenshots.

I'm not certain if these are the only ones related to tax, since I don't understand how your system works. So feel free to mention other settings, and I'll tell you if they are configured, and how.

Or you could just do what most developers do, and I can give you a temporary login, and you can figure it out,.

Thanks.

Attachments:

5 years 2 weeks ago #305317

Hi,

You need to have one tax category, select it in your product and then create several tax rules for that tax category.
However, in your screenshots, I can see that your tax rules are assigned to different tax categories. So since your product it assigned to only one tax category, only one tax rule can apply to it.
You need to modify your tax rules so that they all use the same tax category which is selected in the product.
Then, you'll see that several tax rules can apply to the same product at the same time.
The rest of your taxes setup is correct.

Note that our documentation page for the taxes setup ( www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/3...axation-listing.html ) we mention that in most cases you only want one tax category :

Please note that in most cases, you don't need to go there as you probably only sell one type of products which are all taxed with the same percentage. And so you can use the default tax category for all your products and tax rules.

Regarding the prices being displayed with taxes, note that you have a setting in the HikaShop configuration named "show taxed prices" that you can change if you want to display the prices without the taxes already included. That's usually what people want in North America.

• Hikaauction Standard
5 years 2 weeks ago #305344

Thanks. Guess I'll go read that badly written documentation again.

Since every part of Canada has different taxes, and since you are taxed by the location you purchase in, when you have multiple warehouses, you will always have different taxes. So thanks for the patronizing italics, but you're WRONG.

Also, all taxes in Canada are added AFTER. So... since it's the bigger part of north America, geographically speaking, again, you're WRONG.

Thanks for nothing. I left a review indicative of my experience so far.

• Hikaauction Standard
5 years 2 weeks ago #305346

Yeah... just changed the taxes to be only Canada as the default, added the tax zones as sub zones under Canada, and it still doesn't work.

Could someone please direct me to some screen shots of how this should be set up, or could someone give me an email address where I can send a temporary login, so that someone can take a look and actually fix this?

So far, this has been a pretty terrible support experience.

• Hikaauction Standard
5 years 2 weeks ago #305347

Does anyone there actually know how this works?

Because right now, it feels like playing pin the tail on the donkey.

5 years 2 weeks ago #305348

Hi,

I'm sorry you're having a bad experience. That wasn't my goal here. I just wanted to help you.

Please go through our contact form to provide a backend access and we can have a look:
www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html

Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by nicolas.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds