How to cgange tax category on all products at once

• Thank you received: 1
  • Hikashop Essential
1 year 10 months ago #342593

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.2.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.10.9

Hi everyone, I have just become a VAT registered and need to apply VAT to all my products, and to my postage rates. I have over 1500 products and currently the the default tax category is set to 'none'. I have created a new tax rate (UK VAT 20%) under System>Taxes and it is called 'default tax category'. Please can someone tell me how I can chnage all my products to this new tax category without doing it manually one product at a time? Can I do it using mass actions? If so, please can you provide me with a detailed step-by-step guide as to how to do this? Or is there another way that I am not seeing?
Many thanks in advance,
Bella

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
1 year 10 months ago #342594

Hi,

You can use a mass action yes.
Create a new one in the menu System>Mass actions and you need to do three things:
- change the "limitations" area's "value" to 2000 instead of 500 in order to process all the products.
- add an action "update the values" on the column "product_tax_id" with the mode "int". And in the input field, enter the id of the tax category. You should be able to get that id on the tax categories listing, on the "ID" column.
- click on the "process" button to run the mass action.
Finally, note that if you have variants, you want to add a filter to process only the main products and not the variants.

• Hikashop Essential
1 year 10 months ago #342600

Hi Nicolas,
That is fantastic thank you. You mentioned about variants and addiing a filter......I do have variants on a number of products, these variants are differetn pack sizes and are asscoiated with different prices. For example, 2pc pack size = £1.99, 5pc pack size = £3.99, 10pc pack size = £7.99, which the customer selects. VAT will need to be added to thos pack sizes too, so am I correct in thinking that I would not add the filter before I run the mass action?
Thank you so much for you help,
Bella

• Hikashop Essential
1 year 10 months ago #342601

Also, I think I read that I need to ass VAT manually to the postage/shipping methods, is that correct?
Thank you.

1 year 10 months ago #342605

Hi,

It's better to add the filter if you have variants. The product_tax_id taken into account is the main product tax id. So it doesn't matter whether the price comes from the variant or the main product.

Regarding the shipping costs, the answer is that "it depends" :)
In each shipping method, you have an "automatic taxes" setting. If activated, the shipping fees will automatically use the tax rate(s) of the products in the cart. If turned off, then you have a "product tax category" setting which appears where you can select the tax category for the shipping fees, similar to how it works for products.

• Hikashop Essential
1 year 10 months ago #342654

Hi Nicolas,
Thanks for your reply. I have tried running the mass action but it isn't working. It has not updated the products with the VAT of 20%, even though I only have one tax rate. It has applied a rate of 0% and is showing prices inc. VAT and exc. VAT as the same value. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong!
Also, I didn't quite understand about filtering our the variants either. I have lost of variants, e.g. pack size, length, combination. Do I have to select all of them as a filter and set the value to is NOT NULL so that they are all filtered out?
Many thanks,
Bella

• Hikashop Essential
1 year 10 months ago #342660

Hi again, I think I have sorted it, I found another tax_ID number which seems to work. Funnily though, although I have over 2000 products with IDs going up to almost 2300, I only had to run the mass action with a limit of 1500 (I was running it in 500 increments) and this seemed to capture all the products. Is the limitation run on number of actual products rather than the ID number?
Thanks again, Bella

1 year 10 months ago #342656

Hi,

There is no tax rate directly linked to products, only tax categories.
So you need to enter the id of a tax category for the product_tax_id and not the id of a tax rate.
Regarding the filter, you can simply use the "product type" filter:
i.imgur.com/UiEakrP.png
There is no need for anything more.

• Hikashop Essential
1 year 10 months ago #342666

Thanks very much for all of your help, I truly appreciate it. :)

1 year 10 months ago #342665

Hi,

It's indeed based on the number of products processed, and not based on the product_id value.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds