Hikashop Multi Language and canonical URL

• Thank you received: 17
  • Hikashop Multisite
11 months 3 weeks ago #317761

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.2.3

Hi Hikashop,

Am I missing something?

I have made a existing website to a Multi Language site (only for the webshop feedback and checkout), but the canonical URL from the categories and products doesn't seem to be automatically generated. But we have configured it. As a result, you will become unnoticed again in the Dutch language checkout and you will not see the language you chose at the start.

For example if you go to a category overview in French ( milenasvintage.nl/fr/webshop/producten ) and I click on one of the categories, you wil see the Dutch Cononical URL (default without nl in the URL ) From that moment you are no longer on the French site and don't get a French checkout

Also when fill in the France canonical URL like (/fr/webshop/producten/category/chalk-paint) then still I see the Dutch one if I click on that category with the French language. Ultimately, this is the same issue for the products. Hope you can give me a hint.

We like to use the canonical URL for SEO and also we use Hikashop Google Products Plugin.

Kind reqards,
Lumiga

Kind regards,
Lumiga
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by Lumiga.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11030
11 months 3 weeks ago #317795

Hi,

HikaShop does not support saving automatically the canonical URL of other languages in Falang. That's something that needs to be done manually in the backend.
However, once you do that, it will use the canonical URL of the current language.
If not, then either Falang's plugin is not activated, or the translation is not activated in Falang or you have some caching on your pages and you didn't clear it before testing the change.

• Thank you received: 17
  • Hikashop Multisite
11 months 3 weeks ago #317824

Oké we don't have Falang installed and we won't because we don't want to translate the products. We only want to give the clients a checkout in there own language.

So the only way to do that is to turn of canonical URL's I think. Is that correct?

Kind regards,
Lumiga

• Thank you received: 11030
11 months 3 weeks ago #317825

Hi,

If you don't have Falang on your website, then you should not have the translation interface with the flags.
And even if you do, the information you enter there won't be taken into account as that requires the Falang driver system plugin.

So if you want a multilingual website with canonical URLs, it's possible, but you need to turn off the "force canonical URLs on listings" setting. Only the canonical URL will be indexed by search engines, so you still won't have "duplicate content" issues, but the customers will be able to access the product details page from different URLs, which isn't a problem per se (it's only a problem if you configured your shop to display different modules, etc based on the URL's menu item as you'll see the product details page differently based on the URL used).

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds