Question regarding Sitemap preference.

• Thank you received: 18
6 years 5 months ago #282288

-- url of the page with the problem -- : www.eutopiantrader.com
-- HikaShop version -- : 3.2.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.1

Hi Guys,

I had asked a while ago when I was very new to Hikashop and Joomla a question regarding sitemap generation. I would like to expand on my question and get your opinions on this.

When I asked what the best tool for creating a sitemap with greater then 500 links, you guys pointed me to JSitemap.
But I noticed that Joomla comes with it's own Sitemap Generator, and just like all generators to create a sitemap greater then 500 links, you must purchase the "Pro" version, however, my question here is simple.

I can only assume that you guys recommended JSitemap Pro for a reason, though I do not know what that reason is. I know that at some point I need to purchase a "Pro" version of one of them, and I want to know which one is the best to purchase for my site, and which one works the best with HikaShop.

I have attempted to use some free crawlers that also create a sitemap.xml, but the problem I always run into is that those tend to include links that I don't want to be included such as the links to the CSS / JS, Thumbnails, Hikashop Modules and Components etc.

Does JSitemap help me to create a HikaShop friendly sitemap that would be better then the Joomla Sitemap Generator?

Since you guys back the JSitemap extension, I would like to know what it is that makes this the better sitemap generator in your opinion over the Joomla Sitemap Generator?

If I am going to pay for one at some point, I certainly want to pay for the best one that is completely compatible with my site and I would like to understand what makes the JSitemap the better of the two for my Joomla / HikaShop site / ecommerce site. I value your opinion which is why I am asking and look forward to reading your reply.

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,

John

(HikaShop Business 3.2.0 [1709061916])

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13058
6 years 5 months ago #282290

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean. Joomla doesn't come with a built-in sitemap generator. They are all extensions you can install on your joomla.
Some might be free, some others paid.
OSMap can also be a good choice:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extensi...tion/site-map/osmap/
We're not making websites ourselves besides our own so we didn't do a lot of research on which one would be best.
I suppose it depends on your needs.
If you just want a sitemap xml file, then a free one like OSMap should be plenty enough.
But I would recommend asking that on forum.joomla.org on the Joomla facebook pages.
You'll probably find more expert advices on that topic there.

6 years 5 months ago #282317

Hi Nicholas,

Sorry if I caused some confusion, after my long stay in the hospital my entire brain and thought process is confused! lol

Let me ask this slightly differently...

The version that is currently installed is a Component called Sitemap Generator found by marcobeierer.com. My site has more than 500 links so I need to purchase a license at some point because this one as well as OSMap, JSitemap, and all others I have found will only create the sitemap with more then 500 links with a paid license.

I mentioned JSitemap as it was recommended by another user when I was very new on this forum and had a similar question.

My reason for asking here on the HikaShop forums is because I want to ensure that if I am going to pay for one, I want one that will be the best for creating a sitemap for a HikaShop Ecommerce site.

As I understand things (please correct me if I am wrong) HikaShop and other Ecommerce sites create a lot of dynamic links, and being dynamic I either need to create a new sitemap each time there are changes to the product listings or just not include the links that are dynamic, likely not a good idea as any new, removed, or modified product listings would not be in the sitemap.

I also do not use some features that are specifically looked for by some sitemap generators such as Blogs, RSS Feeds, Media (except for the product images), and Articles (exceptions being the Terms of Agreement for Checkout and the like, but no user created articles at all).

While my knowledge on the exact way what search engines use the sitemap.xml and the image sitemap etc, I wanted to make sure that the sitemap generator I settle on is going to be the best one to work with an ECommerce site that uses HikaShop, and this is the reason that I asked you guys. I do plan (based on your suggestion) to ask this question on the Joomla Forums, but I figured you guys would be the best to ask which sitemap generator works best on a HikaShop built ECommerce site.

I suppose that it is possible that virtually any sitemap generator can be used and it's up to me to decide what is included or excluded from the sitemap when I set up the crawler that generates the sitemap, and if so, I would ask if this is documented anywhere so that I can know how to create the best possible sitemap where links with variables are not included like these:

https://www.eutopiantrader.com/my-account/my-profile?view=reset
https://www.eutopiantrader.com/my-account/my-profile?view=remind

I am thinking that it's possibly my lack of understanding that is making me ask this question the way I am, meaning that the more I look at this all, the more I think that perhaps this all has to do with the way in which I set up the application creating sitemap rather than choosing a specific application. I just wanted to see what application would be best for a site created with HikaShop.

What sitemap generation application(s) is most used by those who have a HikaShop ECommerce website?
Yes I will ask on the Joomla Forums as well.

I hope this clarifies the question and the reason for asking here.

Cheers,

John

• Thank you received: 13058
6 years 5 months ago #282321

Hi,

Regarding HikaShop specifically, as long as the sitemap extension is compatible with xmap, mapx, osmap plugins (most should be), it will be the same for your HikaShop specific links.
I know that OSMap works great with that plugin we've developed and we're offering on our sitemap documentation page:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/8...ation-with-xmap.html
I'm not familiar with sitemap extensions. So I would recommend to ask them if they are compatible with that plugin.
I can't answer other questions as I simply don't know what to answer since again I'm not familiar with sitemap extensions.

6 years 5 months ago #282469

Hi Nicholas,

You have actually answered the questions perfectly and provided me what I was interested in understanding. Thank you very much for this updated answer, I really appreciate your time. It looks like I will be looking into OSMap.

Thanks again and Cheers!

John

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds