Delete thumbnail images?

• Thank you received: 0
11 years 9 months ago #56217

Hi Nicolas,

Need to exchange product images with new ones, this works fine from the products page, however the corresponding old thumbnail image files in upload folders are not deleted. I end up having both the old and the new thumbnail files. Using 1.5.7 Business. How can I solve this without manually deleting the old thumbnails one by one in the various upload/thumbnail folders?

Thks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13062
11 years 9 months ago #56270

Hi,

If you delete all the thumbnail folders in your upload folder, HikaShop will recreate them automatically when needing them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bugger101

11 years 9 months ago #56277

HI Nicolas,

Thanks for answer. Yes I know, and this is fairly easy as long as I am in the developing phase. However when the site has been handed over to a customer, and he/she has to maintain the shop with products and texts and images and so on, those thumbnails will not be removed. Anyway I believe that they do no harm?
Have a nice day...

11 years 9 months ago #56294

They don't. As a "normal" user of HikaShop, he/she can just delete the image in the product and upload the new one instead. The thumbnails of the old one won't be removed but it's not much of a problem as you say.

9 years 4 months ago #182998

Hi i have the same problem like above, is there a way to do that automatically, i m the developer and i dont want the person uploading the photos call me all the time deleting to clean the thumbs.

• Thank you received: 2322
9 years 4 months ago #183005

Hi,

No there is no way at this time to do that automatically.
A plugin could potentially do this task when a product is updated, do checks on the images, if no more used so delete the thumbs else do nothing.

Here is some documentation for the plugins:
www.hikashop.com/support/support/documen...r-documentation.html

• Thank you received: 2
5 years 7 months ago #297466

Hi,
I see that the last post was 3 years ago on this theme, so maybe there are changes on this topic? I create hikamarket for multivendor website. It is still not live, but I already see potential problem as the site will have 1000 vendors or so. The product photos vendor can delete, but old thumbnail stays and it is really trash in system. Is there any new automatic delete old thubnails solution?
thank you

5 years 7 months ago #297489

Hi,

The thumbnails are not automatically deleted, however the main images are.
So you can just delete all the thumbnails automatically periodically with a cron task and HikaShop will recreate them when needed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SEKME

5 years 7 months ago #297625

Thank you Nicolas, will need to dig info about cron task. I saw this option in Hika, but do not know how it works so far.

5 years 7 months ago #297626

Hi,

No, I meant a cron script on your server. That's usually something your server administrator can add.
However, I actually checked the code on our end, and the thumbnails are also deleted when the main image is deleted. So in fact, there is nothing to do as it's already the case by default.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SEKME

• Hikashop Business
4 years 9 months ago #308625

I deleted all of the thumbnail folders as stated in this string and the thumbnails are still visible on my desktop, but the thumbnail images are not appearing (automatically generated) on mobile devices. Some images are there, some are not. Very odd. I tried just opening and closing the product page in admin to see if this generated a thumbnail; the images exist in the upload folder but the only way for the thumbnails to be created for mobile was to reupload the product images.

I also deleted my cache thinking maybe the thumbnails did not truly exist on the desktop either. But they are still appear in my chrome browser on my desktop.

4 years 9 months ago #308661

Hi,

I don't see why this would happen and I'm not able to reproduce what you're describing on my end.
When HikaShop has to display a thumbnails, it will check if the thumbnail is there. If not, then it will generate it.
That's the same mechanism for mobile or desktop.

If you could give a link to a page where you have the thumbnails display on desktop and not on mobile, we could have a look into it.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds