Capture Email address of Guest checkout

• Thank you received: 7
  • Hikashop Business
4 years 1 month ago #316433

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.2.3
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.16
-- PHP version -- : 7.3.15

Is there a "proper" way to store the Email address entered in the Guest checkout area in the cart? We have many abandoned carts we want to try and contact, but if they aren't logged in or didn't attempt to register, there is no contact information available.

We have our cart set up by default for Guest checkout as we've found that we lose people on the registration. We prompt for the email address before they can continue with the checkout process...its at that point we'd like to store the email address they entered for that session into the cart somehow. I see fields for cart_params and cart_fields and thought maybe we could capture the email address from the data[register] and make it part of the cart data. Or is there a better way of doing this?[email] and make it part of the cart data.

Or is there a better way of doing this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
4 years 1 month ago #316435

Hi,

Why do you think you're loosing people during the registration ?
The main reason I can think of is that people enter a wrong email address and they don't get the email notification with the activation link for their user account and thus they can't continue.
In that case, storing the email address in the cart won't help if the email address is not correct.

What you could do is to have the guest checkout, and then activate the "Allow registration after guest checkout" setting so that customers can create their account after the checkout. That way you remove the registration friction after the purchase.

• Hikashop Business
4 years 1 month ago #316448

We have Guest Checkout only and have enabled registration after checkout.

What we have is a bunch of carts without the ability to track down the person who may have added the items to their cart during a session.

I keep carts for 7 days, and have about 50 or so that I would like to find a way to contact the session visitor back and get them back to the site to complete the purchase. (we used to have hundreds until I implemented your recaptcha!! p.s. Thank you!). But of the legitimate ones, it looks like we have the opportunity to capture the email address from the Guest portion of the checkout page.

What I did for testing was write a custom piece that added the cart id and the email address provided into a test table to see if it were possible (by me--not a coder). It works, but I was wondering if there was a way to associate the captured email address within the cart table itself. Then I can run a custom query in Acyba to send out a reminder. (Otherwise the reminder system doesn't work unless we open up registration or force login).

Is that making sense? Sorry if I'm bad an explaining this.

4 years 1 month ago #316454

Hi,

I'm not following you. The moment the customer enter his email address and validate it, the email address is associated with the cart thanks to the cart_user_id column which points to the user_id column in hikashop_user which also contains the email address in user_email. Now copying the email address to a column of the hikashop_cart table is not impossible, but that would require the development of a custom plugin to handle this.

Also, note that we actually made a plugin a while back to handle such reminder:
www.hikashop.com/marketplace/product/241-reminder-plugin.html
This plugin allows:
- to notify email addresses of orders that have been created and for which the order has not been confirmed and no subsequent order happened
- to notify email addresses of carts that have been created and for which no subsequent order was created.
The second capability fits exactly your need as far as I understand and it doesn't require any registration.
As far as I know, what AcyMailing has only covers the first capability of this plugin.

• Hikashop Business
4 years 1 month ago #316467

If we used Registration, Simple Registration, or Simple Register w/Password, I understand.

But will Guest Checkout do the same thing without going through the registration process? Or only after the order is saved?

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by stratacorps.

• Hikashop Business
4 years 1 month ago #316471

Wait! No wonder you can't follow me, 'cause I'm all over the place :( Sorry.

Instead of a single page check out, I placed the Email address (Guest Checkout) at the front of the check out process and separated the shipping/payment portion onto the next page. The user now has to click Next before proceeding. Until then I wasn't getting the Email address in the cart table. Now when they click next their email is captured (wrong or right). So I was over-complicating matters by trying to simply the checkout.

For our event registration system I"m working on a way we can use Elastic Email (our SMTP provider) to validate the email address before leaving the email field on that system. If I can get it to work, maybe I can employ that here as well. But 99% of our cart checkouts are initiated through the event registration anyway, but that doesn't stop them from entering the wrong email address on checkout...only using 2-step registration/activation link will do that. If I didn't get so many complaints from visitors not wanting to create an account I would have focused on the registration only angle anyway and forced validation.

As always, thank you.

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by stratacorps.

4 years 1 month ago #316474

Him

Well, I'm glad it's now working with the guest checkout as you expected it :)

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds