Create a product template or modify copy?

• Thank you received: 7
  • Hikashop Essential
3 years 9 months ago #320611

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.3.0
-- Joomla version -- : latest
-- PHP version -- : 7.2
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : all
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : None

I have a customer who's site I'm setting up now, she has a huge amount of characteristics, each product can have 5 different mediums with 5 different sizes etc Some can be special editions.

What I was wondering, is there an easy way to create a template which holds all the default fields and predefined characteristics and then all I have to do is set the image title and description and the rest is auto filled with the template predefined values, so set once and use many times?
Else to have all fields priced it would be a nightmare per product.

The only problem with doing a copy is that you still have to change every characteristic title etc as the original product name just gets appended with copy and a unique number.
Also the layout isn't copied for the template, it reverts to default on a copy along with the quantity input type, which reverts back to default.

So in summary, when copying a product, if a popup was to be shown where you could input Product name, description and image, so theses values will overwrite the previous copied values? Thus creating a new product with all the correct associated characteristics. :-) And saving a huge amount of time

Thanks

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13036
3 years 9 months ago #320620

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on the copy of the page layout and quantity input settings. I've added a patch on our end for that.
You can download the install package on our website and install it on yours to get the patch.

The product copy mechanism is indeed the way to go here.
Regarding the variants name, why fill it in the original product ?
If you leave it empty, HikaShop will automatically use the value of the characteristics of your product instead and since it's generated dynamically, you won't have to do anything on the product name of the variants once a product is copied.
I believe that's what people usually do when need to generate the products rapidly and they have variants. In that case, you just have to change the price / name / description in the main product of the copy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ianspeed

• Thank you received: 7
  • Hikashop Essential
3 years 9 months ago #320631

Hi Nicolas,
Sorry my bad, I meant the code for the variants gets populated automatically from the product name, this then has to be changed individually for each variant. LOL and I just did a test....
Okay, my double bad, never realised I could change the main product code and it would update through the variants, how many years have I been using this system! :-D

Thanks for the fix on the copy...
I shall go now, head held low...

Thanks

Ian

The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds