FedEx Tracking Number on Front End

• Thank you received: 3
10 years 7 months ago #121121

It would be great if you were able to input the Fed-Ex tracking number in the admin panel when you change the status to "shipped" and the customer could see the tracking number on the front end. That would allow them to track their shipments without contacting us.

Anything like this in the works or currently possible?

LOVE this component.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2322
10 years 7 months ago #121186

Hi,

You can potentially create a custom field in the table "order" via the menu Display > Custom fields.
This custom field will allow you to set the tracking number via the backend interface and the user will see that in the frontend.

You will have to hide this field from the checkout, to not allow the customer to set informations in this field.

The following user(s) said Thank You: blueagle1829

10 years 7 months ago #121936

Thanks, Xavier. That would certainly do the trick.

EDIT:
I'm editing this post because I think I have a different method I'd like to try. Is there a way to call on another field value? For instance... I'd like to do the following fields:

1. Shipping Provider = Checkbox (FedEx, UPS, USPS)
2. Tracking Number = Text Field (Only display to those who select a shipping provider)
3. Display Message = Custom Text (code displayed as below)

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?ascend_header=1&clienttype=dotcom&cntry_code=us&language=english&tracknumbers={FedExTrackingNumber}">{FedExTrackingNumber}</a>
Where {FedExTrackingNumber} is the value of field number 2....
I could then set up a custom display message for each of the shipping providers with their style URL. Furthermore, I'd like to be able to display these fields only the orders with the "Shipped" status.

Something like this possible?

If not, I see that I could just add a "text area" field and use the HTML markup in there, but it would be easier for training other employees to just have an additional field for FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. to just add the tracking number.

Thanks!

Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by blueagle1829.

10 years 7 months ago #121949

Furthermore, how do I "hide this field from the checkout, to not allow the customer to set informations in this field"?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Nevermind. Found it... For anyone else looking:
"System --> Configuration --> Checkout Tab --> Under the "Checkout Workflow" Drag "Fields" to the trash can --> Save"

Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by blueagle1829. Reason: Found Answer

• Thank you received: 4004
10 years 7 months ago #122049

Hi,

If you want to display other custom fields and hide your fedex one, you can edit the view "checkout | custom field".

$showfields = array(
	'my_special_field1' => 0, // my_special_field1 display only on step 0
);
So you can add your "fedex" custom field and hide it for all step by setting "-1" (a step which will never come)
(this code is originally used when you display the custom fields in two steps and want to display one part in the first and the others in the second).

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Jerome.

10 years 7 months ago #122139

I appreciate your help, Jerome. I actually only use two custom fields so I just deleted that from the checkout process all together which worked fine.

Do you mind addressing my question from the following post?
www.hikashop.com/forum/feature-request/8...ront-end.html#121936

Thanks again guys!

• Thank you received: 4004
10 years 7 months ago #122190

Hi,

About the custom field special display, you can do it using a view override. Instead of displaying the custom field, you will display the value manually.
Like in the order status notification

echo $sep . $fieldsClass->trans($oneExtraField->field_realname).' : '.$fieldsClass->show($oneExtraField, $data->order->$fieldName);
You can check the "$fieldName" and not call the "show" function if it is the fedex custom field. And display your special text instead.
This technique make you modify several views/mails, depending where you want to display the nice link.

Otherwise it is possible de create new types of "custom fields" using special plugins. At this moment the plugin will define how it "show", what this "show" function will return for his content.
It requires some PHP and Development skills but it's clearly possible.
With the plugin, overrides won't be necessary because the custom field will be display nicely everywhere.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

10 years 7 months ago #122192

Excellent feedback. Thank you. Do you have any suggestions on the Plugins to make this work?

EDIT:
I figured out a way to use a combination of ReReplacer Plugin and Sourcer Plugin both made by NoNumber. ReReplacer allows you to basically make your own plugin calls and sourcer lets you plant direct code into the site.

So without any core hacks I'm able to display the FedEx tracking numbers by using the two.

Thanks guys!

Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by blueagle1829.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds