Configure tax in Quebec and Canada

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 11 months ago #15388

Hello im have a hard time to configure the tax for the resident of quebec and canada. Taxe in Quebec (TVQ) 8.5% are in addition of canada (TPS) 5%. Can you send me a tip Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 11 months ago #15389

You need to combine both in one tax rate as HikaShop can only apply one tax rule at a time (you can have several tax rules for different zones, different customer types, different product categories, but only one can be applied at a time.
So the tax rate in quebec would be 13.5%

12 years 11 months ago #15390

Thank you for the answer!

12 years 11 months ago #15780

Hello,
Funny, I was just about to ask a similar question, as I have a client who needs the same thing.

Combining the two taxes is a pretty good solution, but I'd like to itemize each tax in the checkout, so customers can see what the costs are for.

Is it possible to perhaps ad Canada's national tax as an "automatic product" of some kind, then calculate the regional tax separately?

I continue to be impressed by HikaShop!

Thanks,
Matthew

12 years 11 months ago #15796

Well, the proper solution would be to be able to have several taxes possible and then display all of them separately...But that would need to rework the tax system :) It's on the todo list but not a priority for now...

12 years 10 months ago #18791

Just a correction for future Quebec and Canada taxes inquiries. The Quebec tax (8.5%) is a compound tax. To charge your clients Quebec customers the correct sales tax you need to use 13.925% and not 13.5% (which is just the two taxes added together). My Quebec client is very happy with Hikashop. I don't expect separate taxes let alone compound taxes (yikes!) any time soon. But this is a good work around (even if it is frowned upon by impot Quebec).

12 years 8 months ago #22572

Hello,

I have the same issue. Is it planned to implement in a near future?

Thank you,
Have a great day!
Sébastien

12 years 8 months ago #22593

Hi,

No news no that feature for now.

We worked on a lot of other things for the last release and we already have other priorities for next release.

12 years 3 months ago #37132

Any news on this? It would be very nice to have a Native Joomla shopping cart we could use in Quebec.

12 years 3 months ago #37235

Multiple taxes support has finally been added in the latest release of HikaShop that we did this week. There is now a "cumulative tax" option that you can turn on when creating tax rules in order to handle cumulative taxes like in Canada.

12 years 2 months ago #41410

OMG, I only just found out because I wasn't subscribed to this topic. I'm gonna try this version ASAP. Thanks so much for doing this.

12 years 1 month ago #41554

I see the cumulative option, but I only see the first tax appear and not the second one which needs to be cumulatively added. Is there a how to on setting up dual taxes?

Lets say I have a presence in all provinces of Canada, how would I set up the following list of rates?

Alberta GST 5%
British Columbia HST 12%
Manitoba GST 5% PST 7% not compounded
New Brunswick HST 13%
Newfoundland and Labrador HST 13%
Northwest Territories GST 5%
Nova Scotia HST 15%
Nunavut GST GST 5%
Ontario HST GST 5% PST 8% not compounded
Prince Edward Island GST 5% PST 10% compounded
Quebec GST 5% QST 9.5% compounded
Saskatchewan GST 5% PST 10% not compounded
Yukon GST 5%

Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by panzerknacker.

12 years 1 month ago #41683

For Canada, all the taxes should be cumulative I think, unless I'm missing something.

Just create tax rules with the corresponding state as zone, the correct tax rate selected and the default tax category selected and the cumulative option turned on.

Then, if the address of the user is in that zone, the tax should be applied automatically during the checkout.

12 years 1 month ago #41808

No, cumulative is only applied in a few provinces. Some have one tax rate, some have 2, some are cumulative and others aren't. It's enough to drive anyone crazy.

For now I am just focusing on Quebec, because I live there and it has the most bizarre sales tax construct, 2 taxes for which the second one is cumulative.

I use the default tax category to which I added 2 rules, both set to geographical zone Quebec 864. The first rule is the 5% GST and the second is 9.5% QST, which is the cumulative second tax.

I have a customer set up with Canada and Quebec in the profile, but only the first tax (5% GST) gets applied. The second (9.5& QST) is nowhere to be found.

What am I doing wrong? I added screen shots as well so you can see.

Thanks for the help so far!

Attachments:

12 years 1 month ago #41810

Okay, I got one step further and I mixed up 2 words. Cumulative and compounded, I do apologize for that. In order to get the 2 taxes to show, both taxes need to be set to cumulative. If you don't set the first tax rate to cumulative as well, the second rate won't show. So that is fixed and works beautifully.

However and that is the big trick where I mixed cumulative and compounded. in Quebec, the tax is not only cumulative, but compounded as well.

So an article which is 100 dollars shows like this when cumulative but not compounded.

article: $100
GST 5%: $5
PST 9.5%: $9.50
total: $114.50

In Quebec the same needs to be calculated as follows:

article: $100.00
GST: ($100 × 5%) $5.00
QST: ([$100 + $5] × 9.5%) $9.98
Total: $114.98

So the second tax gets applied on the price of the article together with the first tax.

How would I do that?

12 years 1 month ago #41850

You need to adapt the tax rate. Your PST tax rate should actually be 9.98%
You can still keep the tax namekey of that tax rate to "PST 9.5%" so that it displays like you want.

The following user(s) said Thank You: panzerknacker

12 years 1 month ago #41852

So simple, works perfectly. Finally a native Joomla shopping cart with proper tax support.

You guys are awesome!

12 years 6 days ago #47939

Hey Panzer, can you please provide the steps you took to create the taxes? I'm really new to HikaShop (as in I installed it today) and the thing that appealed to me the most was the taxes but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it properly. I'm in Ontario.

12 years 5 days ago #47998

Hi F22, isn't there just one tax rate now for Ontario? (HST) In that case all you have to do is set up one rate attached to the "state" Ontario.

I attached what I did for QC to test as screenshots. Hope it helps, but if it doesn't please give some more specific info.

Attachments:

12 years 5 days ago #48020

Oh I see, I'm so stupid, I didn't realize the province was a zone as well, I kept attaching the rate to Canada.

Thanks, I'll try it again.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds