Payment plugins - debug mode

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #328362

Hi, I've recently been having some problems with my payment plugin (I have made a separate post about this) so have switched on the debug mode on my dev site.
What I'd like to know is - is there any downside to having this switched on on the live site? i.e. do any extra error messages show up for the customer, or is any sensitive data saved?
t would be useful to keep this log in case of problems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
3 years 3 months ago #328377

Hi,

It depends on how the payment plugin is developped.
Some payment plugins will directly output the debug information to the customer and in that case, you don't want to keep that turned on outside tests.
Also, the debug data can contain sensitive data about your merchant account that will be stored in the log file. If the log file is compromised by a hack in the future, the attacker could get a hold of your sensitive information. So if you don't need to do debugging, it's best to keep if turned off. That will also save some space as the log can be quite big if you have a lot of transactions.
But if you don't care about both of these points and that the plugin doesn't directly output anything to the customer, then you can indeed keep the debug turned on.

The following user(s) said Thank You: infinityb

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikashop Business
3 years 3 months ago #328613

That is useful, thanks. I think I will keep it switched off.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds