Help setting up tax, zero rtates for some states

• Thank you received: 7
  • Hikashop Business
8 years 2 months ago #231016

Hi,

I'm not able to get the attached configuration of VAT to work. The channel Islands are VAT exempt, I've setup a TAX zone for them but it doesn't seem to apply 0 VAT?

Also there is a post code option in the TAX rules. Can this accept part post codes / multiple post codes? Also if the postcode rule is matched will it then ignore other rules?

Many thanks.

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by grayt7.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13081
8 years 2 months ago #231029

Hi,

1. You should not need any tax rule in that case. Just make sure that no tax rules apply to the channel islands zone and no tax will be charged.

2. The post code option can contain regex. So yes, you can do almost anything with it. However, the syntax of regexs needs to be followed:
www.regular-expressions.info/tutorial.html

3. It depends. If the "cumulative" setting of your tax rules is activated, several tax rules can match. If not, only one tax rule can match, and thus, once one match, its tax rate is applied and the other tax rules are ignored.

• Thank you received: 7
  • Hikashop Business
8 years 2 months ago #231113

HI,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. Channel Islands are in the UK. So they are a state in the UK. Are you suggesting I should build the UK VAT rule based on states? Os I would create a 20% rule and add in each state individually to that rule? That would take a very long time and seems and inefficient way of doing the tax rules?

2. OK thanks for this.

3. You say: "If not, only one tax rule can match, and thus, once one match, its tax rate is applied and the other tax rules are ignored." How does the system pick which tax rule to match? For instance I hae a 20% tax rule for the country UK but also a 0% tax rule for channel Islands sate (done as a tax zone) that is withing UK country... in this instance it doesn't seem to work so the system is prioritising Country zone over tax zone?

Many thanks. :)

• Thank you received: 13081
8 years 2 months ago #231140

Hi,

1. I would indeed recommend to do something like that.
Create a tax zone via the menu System>Zones with all the UK states minus the channel islands as sub zones (you can add them all in one go with the "add sub zones" selection popup. And then, you can just select that tax zone in your tax rule. So it's really fast to do.

3. The system prioritizes the tax rules like that: first the state matches, then the country matches and lastly the tax zones matches. And if you have several tax rules matching at one zone level, the ordering of the tax rules is taken into account to select the first one to use.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds