Hikashop Swichbar Multi language

• Thank you received: 0
7 years 1 month ago #263649

Hi there. I want to have my shop in 2 languages. I can I set up it. I installed the language pack for both languages Hikashop->System->Configuration, but how to make a Language switcher?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13035
7 years 4 weeks ago #263659

Hi,

You can configure the Joomla language switcher module via the Joomla modules manager.

7 years 3 weeks ago #264198

What do you mean? Aside from the issues when updating to Hikashop 3 I also came to this problem.

I updated on a test site to 3.0.1, when going to Hikashop -> Configuration -> Languages I don't see this any Activate content in multiple edition or translation published by default as what I see on the picture: www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/10-languages

What I see is this message stating that I need to install Falang or Joomfish.

Activeer de editie van inhoud in meerdere talen U moet Falang of Joomfish installeren om de meerdere talen editie te gebruiken

Do I need any third party components in order to be able using Hikashop multilanguage? I want to simply use the Joomla language switch, parsing Hikashop categories and products in different language versions. Is this possible? How? I don't see anywhere any possibility to create language versions of products or categories. I have two languages installed and I can see them in the Hikashop - Languages.

thanks for help

Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Osindelka.

7 years 3 weeks ago #264232

Hi,

1. You asked me how you have a language switcher on your website. So I told you to use Joomla's:
docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Setup_a_Multilingua...te/Language_Switcher

2. Yes, you should use Falang or another third party translation tool.
Here are the instructions:
demo.hikashop.com/index.php/en/hikashop/...ge/with-translations

7 years 3 weeks ago #264316

It was not me who was asking, I just bumped the thread because I think that the problem is the same. Its not about the Joomla front end language switcher, but about Hikashop backend language capabilities.

nicolas wrote: Hi,
2. Yes, you should use Falang or another third party translation tool.
Here are the instructions:
demo.hikashop.com/index.php/en/hikashop/...ge/with-translations

So without Falang or another translation tool I won't be able to produce langauge variants of categories or products?

7 years 3 weeks ago #264319

Hi,

Well. You could. But I really don't recommend it.
You would have to replicate your menu items (one per language), with the categories tree separated per language and the products duplicated per language too so that you would have different menu items based on the language which would lead to different categories/products based on the language so that you would get their name/description in the corresponding language.
That's a tedious way to do translation, even though that's the way Joomla does it.
Third party translation tools like Falang on the other end allows you to only have one set of menu items/categories/products and just translate the texts of these elements.

7 years 2 weeks ago #264477

Ok I see what you mean. Each language menu item linking special set of categories made for each language. I am trying out Falang thus.

There's yet one question. When using Joomla standard language switch I am able to link different language menus to each other so that when the user switches the languages he lands in exactly the same menu or product.

However I am not able to achieve this for Hikashop categories or products when using Falang translations. I.e. when user is going through a category and switches language, he goes back to the homepage in the other language. Is there a way how to make him land on the same product/category page after switching the language?

Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Jerome. Reason: removing quote

7 years 2 weeks ago #264513

Hi,

When you use Falang, you don't need to do that. When you use the switcher it will keep you on the same page, but in a different language automatically. Make sure you've configured the Falang language switcher module and not Joomla's. I think that this is necessary for the language switching to work best.
Otherwise, I would recommend to contact Falang's support as it should normally work properly and we're no Falang experts.

• Thank you received: 1
7 years 1 day ago #265844

Hi, I'm interested in using different categories for different languages instead of using Falang or any other language extension, and I've succesfully implemented it but... how to manage stock quantities for the same product in different languages (categories)?

For example, I have 4 quantity of "Red pen" and I insert them both in Italian and in English in these categories:

- IT
-- Penne
--- Penna rossa (ID=123)

- EN
-- Pens
--- Red pen (ID=251)

Somebody buys 1 Red pen from EN category. Qty for ID 251 becomes 3 while Qty for Penna rossa is still 4 (because to Hikashop it is not the same product).

Thank you very much.
Regards

7 years 1 day ago #265874

Hi,

In that case, you want to duplicate the products, one in each category tree, and create different menu items, one for each category and restrict each menu item to the corresponding language.

7 years 1 day ago #265878

Thank you Nicolas,
I've already done it but... how to make Quantity for "Italian product" being decremented when somebody buys the "English product" and vice-versa?

Hikashop manages them as two different products while they are the same product in different languages.

Thank you

7 years 16 hours ago #265880

Hi,

Well, that's how the system works with one product for each language.
That's why we recommend to use Falang or other third party translation extensions, since they allow for one product for all the languages and thus one stock that is updated automatically regardless of which language is being used.
Synchronizing the quantity between the different products would require the development of a hikashop plugin in order to handle that. I don't see another way if you don't want to use Falang or the likes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: altrasoluzione

7 years 4 hours ago #265963

I see.
I'd like to have the possibility to not to use Falang because it is another (big) cost for the customers and, even if I understand that it is much more complex to manage, the categories workaround would be a valid alternative, except for the quantity problem we've talked about.

That's why I'd ask to Hikashop, as a feature request, to add the possibility to create "brothers products", products linked to a main one and that share all parameters except the ones to be translated, to be put in different language categories.

As an alternative it could be easier to create a plugin that at least updates "linked products" quantity when the quantity of "main" one is updated, just like a triggered action.

I know that it is not a "native" language management, which has been already excluded in another thread, but it can be a good (and cheap) alternative.

Thank you
Regards

6 years 11 months ago #265966

Hi,

Brother products would be quite complex to do as there are many places where the products data is used and would require modification.
For example, if you set limits on the quantity, the system runs a complex MySQL query to check the available quantity for the products in the cart. Handling brother products there would make the query even more complex and potentially not possible (so the whole code would have to be rewritten there). And that's just one example of one small feature.
It would be way simpler to add support for products translations directly in HikaShop.
And I'm actually not against it. It's just that it's not a priority since there are already good alternatives.

Also, Falang costs 45€ in its basic version (without even talking about the free version...) . As you're building a multilingual shop website for your client, you should bill at least several thousands of euros for it. So I don't see how that is a "big" cost.
And Falang is just an example of third party extension you can use to translate your content. We recommend it because we've a specific integration for it and it works really great with HikaShop.
You'll find other extensions that can do that if you search a bit.
For example, neno also allows you to translate HikaShop products extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extensi...tent/neno-translate/ and is free to use.

6 years 11 months ago #266044

By the way, I've just thought of something which could help you.
With the new bundle feature of HikaShop, you can add products to others so that these products quantity will be updated when the main product is purchased.
That way, you could have each language variant of a product as a bundle of the other variants and thus their quantity would be synchronized that way.

The following user(s) said Thank You: altrasoluzione

6 years 11 months ago #266142

Hi Nicolas,
<<...you should bill at least several thousands of euros...>>: this made me lough and think about to move to another Country! :-)

Here in Italy most projects are done for less then 1000 €, including licenses and taxes (most probably the highest in Europe) while a few are quoted between 1000 and 2000 €.
So I have to reduce extra costs at minimum, making small customers (they represent 90% of web developing business) happy, even using workarounds like the one we are talking about.

Anyway, I'll try the bundle trick.
Thank you for your suggestion!
Kind regards

4 years 4 months ago #312676

Hi,

I found this thread while researching translation in Hikashop. Am I right in stating that if you are not using stock counting that you can safely use the Joomla translation system and create products for each language?

Thanks,

BC

4 years 4 months ago #312678

Hi,

That's right.
Also, since the 4.2.2, you can also add translation keys for the product name and product description of your products and then use translation overrides to translate these keys for each language based on that principle:
www.hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify
So it's a cheap way to be able to do translation of your content, without the need for Falang (and it avoids all the processing necessary in Falang for that).

• Thank you received: 5
4 years 1 month ago #315787

Hi, I am too not willing to use Falang since it is another component that override some core parts of Joomla. I tried the option to use language keys that are translated with JTEXT but found that it works for product/variants name and description while the user browses the shop looking at products in the front-end, but when a product is added to the cart, then ther product name/variant is shown with untranslated keys in the cart (also the popup message "XXX has been added to your cart" displays product name keys untranslated) so it is currently not useable for me...
Something that I am doing wrong or a bug?
thanks a lot!

Giuse

4 years 1 month ago #315797

Hi,

Note that this capability was only added in the latest version of HikaShop.
So it hasn't been used by many people and there are probably things we missed to handle the translation properly everywhere.
Unlike Falang, which does the translation by dynamically looking at the MySQL queries, we have to go in each place where the product name is displayed and adapt the code to handle the translation override.
So it's a lot more work and a lot more difficult to make sure you didn't forget some places.
So we can probably provide some code modifications (that we can also include on our end) to help you with the areas where the product name is not translated with overrides, but we'll need you to provide precise information on them.
Please provide the URLs of these pages and the necessary instructions to reproduce the issue on your website.
Please also provide the exact texts, because I searched for "has been added to your cart" in our translation files and didn't find any translation with that text so I couldn't find exactly which piece of code is displaying the message you're talking about.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds