Market vs Shop registration/profile

• Thank you received: 747
9 years 11 months ago #154666

Hello again,

There's something that puzzles me about the various registrations/profiles/addresses across Joomla / HikaShop / HikaMarket.

Goals & objectives, at least in my case:

• Make it quick and easy for users to register and get going - there are enough statistics on how many conversions = $$$ it costs if things are too tedious or even complicated.
  • Get as many customers and vendors = business = conversions = $$$ as possible - one hardly goes without the other, anyway.

Accordingly, I've set things to:
  • Joomla registration very basic, no Joomla user profile data. This way users are "in" quickly to start with. Customers can fill in their addresses when they want, latest at checkout. Replacing the Joomla user profile with HS's is already getting a bit funny as J wants a "name", and HS wants 1st and 2nd name separately. First time "oh well".
  • HikaShop user/address fields are very few more custom fields than core. But not all required.
  • HikaMarket = automatic vendor creation. But - core vendor profile... well. It's practically all custom fields. Except, here we're back to only one "name", as opposed to HS. Ok, at least in terms of address and details it can be equalised via custom fields. Done. Eventually equalise the three (!) different name fields, too (J - HS - HM...).

Now my question(s):
Why can't it be all the same? Or can I make it the same? See the idea below.

HM is an add-on to HS. Users can only become vendors, manually or automatically, once they're registered and logged in anyway, correct? Why is - whatever, J or HS user data - not handed over to HM, either "automatically", or at least per option? A future vendor must enter all his address and what-not details again, whatever the vendor creation is set to. One sure way of annoying people... :(

I don't expect an overnight change. But is there any hack possible, i.e. that the vendor registration/profile is at least pre-filled with his HS profile data? It's all the same fields (well, labels and type of fields) in my case anyway. Can I add values to the HM input fields that I pull from the equivalent user's HS fields in the database, so the HM vendor profile would be "pre-filled"? How would I do so? I guess if I had the code for one field (or maybe few more, if there's a difference in between field types), I could handle it from there. I trust the vendor could still overwrite fields in case it'd made sense for him.

Much boa-boa again on a simple question, but I wanted to (a) tell you my reasons - because I've seen you guys in other cases coming up with better ideas that your users, hehe - and (b) maybe you want to think about it in general... kinda as one for the TODO list... ;)

Anyway, many thanks again!

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by lousyfool.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
9 years 11 months ago #154726

Hi,

The vendor custom fields can be unpublished or set as non required.

For "why the vendor name is not the customer name", it is because you can have several users for one single vendor.
There are a lot of different way to use HikaMarket and it is possible to see a vendor as a group of people, where each account will have some specific rights.

But I understand that a lot of cases where HikaMarket is used, the vendor is something less complex, where asking again and again for a name is not user friendly.

Thank you for your feedback and your idea. I will update my TODO list in order to add me a task for the improvement of the registration.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

9 years 11 months ago #154732

Thanks, Jerome, for your kind response.

Yes, I can see the implications deriving from complexes setups with multiple users under one vendor. Now, that's all about the names. But I'd bet that even in the wildest dreams (read: nightmares) one vendor has usually one single address that's all the same, no matter how many dozens of people they want to authorise to juggle with products and stuff. Call it "headquarters"? Having that would then likely satisfy the other 97%, where one vendor has only one user... ;)

Now please back to my question, if you let me:

What's the trick - ideally with a code example - to (pre-)populate i.e. a HikaShop user profile with a set of user data from HikaMarket? Or vice versa?

Frankly, I'm neither PHP/MySQL man enough to hit the nail on the head quickly, nor can I spend the time to poke around in darkness for who know how long. And you have it all ready up your sleeve, hehe...

Thanks again!

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!

9 years 11 months ago #154750

Oh wait...

Jerome wrote: The vendor custom fields can be unpublished or set as non required.

That means, together with automatic vendor creation, I can have it real easy as not two user profiles in HS and HM must be maintained?

I can try it out, of course, but please warn me if there's some caveat I wouldn't see immediately...

Thaaanks!

• Thank you received: 4004
9 years 11 months ago #154743

Hi,

In the view "front-end | your_template | vendor | registration" you will find the code which is use during the registration and during the edition of a vendor.
Depending the variable " $this->form_type " or if the vendor have an id, some elements are display or hidden.

In your case, you can add some code in the view to auto-fill some fields when the " $this->form_type == 'register' ".
You can load the current HikaShop user and put his name (or his Joomla name) into the " $this->vendor->vendor_name ".
Some fields are already pre-filled, like the email and the paypal_email, but nothing for the name ; as you know.

if($this->form_type == 'register') {
  $hkuser = hikashop_loadUser(true);
  $this->vendor->vendor_name = $hkuser->name;
}
Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lousyfool

9 years 11 months ago #154756

Brilliant - merci mille fois!

Guess I'll play around with it once I'm through other still more basic stuff. But who knows, others might well be interested in this, too.

Cheers!

Moderators: Obsidev
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds