Joomla Smart Search

• Thank you received: 4
9 years 5 months ago #180505

any news on this ?

have a client that want me to show products with images as suggestion on search... can't see other way to do this than smart search.

Or is there a custom search module that can be used, just as normal module

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by jesper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
9 years 5 months ago #180545

indeed, 2 years have past, and still no feedback from hikashop staff.....i think HikaShop really needs public roadmap, ...desperately, because HikaShop team obviously takes feedback from its customers, but Hika team responds back with no real arguments, just promises.

• Thank you received: 13068
9 years 5 months ago #180560

Hi,

@jesper If you want to display search results with images, then I invite you to use the filter system in HikaShop instead of the search systems of Joomla:
www.hikashop.com/support/support/documen...-filter-listing.html
You can create a text type filter on your products name/description and display the filter with a hikashop filter module which would display the results as a normal products listing page, consistent with the rest of your shop.
You wouldn't be able to do that with the smart search system.

@dado023 Yes, two years have past and after much research/thinking we decided not to implement the smart search system. It is not adapted to search big quantity of data, it is complex to integrate with and the main interesting thing about it, which is the auto-completion during the typing, can actually be done already with the normal search system of Joomla and some 3rd party ajaxified search modules. More than that, we talked with several persons linked with the release plans of Joomla and the smart search is likely to be removed from the core CMS package since not many people use it and not many 3rd party extensions integrated with it (because of all I talked about above).

9 years 4 months ago #180922

Hi nicolas and thanx...

first thanx for the suggestion, but i cannot see how i should be able to do an ajax search dropdown where search suggestions will come from the filters.... but a small guide on how i can do this would be appriciated.

But that makes me needing to have two different search boxes on the page.. one for products and one for the rest.. this is not good site design.

Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by jesper.

9 years 4 months ago #181011

9 years 4 months ago #181596

Thanx for the replies..

Got me selves extensions.joomla.org/extensions/search-...ng/site-search/16893 and works great :)

• Thank you received: 5
  • Hikashop Business
7 years 8 months ago #246311

Any update on SmartSearch integration?

• Thank you received: 4004
7 years 8 months ago #246318

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Business
7 years 6 months ago #251086

I would like to put in my 2 cents worth to say that I really WANT (bordering on NEED) to have HikaShop work with SmartSearch.

I have a site that uses the SEARCH as the primary way to find data. It uses smart search for Joomla content, tags, web links, K2, EasyBlog and EasyDiscuss, and I want to add a HikaShop shopping cart. But, it will be very awkward to have the main prominent search NOT work for the shopping cart. :-(

I suspect there is some technical difficulty to make Smart Search work with HikaShop but do hope it can be resolved.

Sean Carney

7 years 6 months ago #251092

Hi,

You can always develop a plugin to integrate with it.
Here is so documentation to get you started:
docs.joomla.org/Creating_a_Smart_Search_plug-in
Developing a plugin for it to handle your needs shouldn't be too complex. It will be more complex to have one handle all the different possible cases that can arrise in HikaShop and it would be problematic with lots of products as it is not adapted to a lot of data. But for the vast majority of the shops, it should not be problematic.

• Thank you received: 94
7 years 3 months ago #258775

Polished Geek recently built a custom Smart Search plugin for HikaShop products, so I thought I would share some info here about why and what was built.

While I love the AJAX Live Search for HikaShop, this client really wanted the Smart Search behavior and to have a specific results page output. They are also using GTranslate* which is not compatible with the AJAX Live Search module. (GTranslate recommends using the Google Custom Search module instead, but that was not an acceptable option to this client either.)

HikaShop Smart Search plugin:
- Searches only in Product Name, Product Code [AKA Part #] & Product Description fields. (Client did not want to search custom fields)
- Indexes and searches all regular products AND all variants. (Does not search by brand, category, etc.)
- Searches product code with and without leading 0's
- Results include hyperlinked Product Name, Part Number for variants, a portion of the product description plus the product or variant image
- Result URLs are non-SEF if you hover over the product name, because the client required direct links to the variants. The most common search on this client's site is by part number so it's vital that the results link to the exact variant for each part.

The Smart Search described above was customized specifically for one client site, so we won't be publishing it for public use. However, if someone is interested in getting the code as-is or discussing a HikaShop Smart Search plugin for your site requirements, contact us and let's chat!

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerome

7 years 3 months ago #258778

Hi,

That's a good news!
We would be interested if you would share that with us. While I can't promise anything (due to the reasons I explained before), we might be able to "inspire" us from that work to make something more generic.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds